What happened to the mass exodus?

jmjohn

Apr 14, 2009
Visit site
How significant was the exodus from AT&T to Verizon? I have not heard much personally. In fact, no one I talk with even considered changing.

What have you been hearing? Lots of your friends left the Death Star (AT&T) and went to the iPhone on Verizon?

I just expected this giant sucking sound and it did not occur loud enough for me to hear it.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I am new here but I only know of 2 people who left ATT. One was already out of contract, and the other paid the ETF and beat feet.

pogeypre

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
No one I know has left ATT, but nearly all my Verizon friends have dropped their Android phones for iPhones. Some have even paid full price.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I know one person that left but I dont think many Att users will switch now since they already owed the phone since last summer. I bet the ones who want to switch will wait until the iPhone 5 comes out. Thats only makes sense

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Yeah let's talk when the 3GS users are out of their contract. Or when people's ETFs are down to a more reasonable amount. Of when the summer refresh hits.

anaphora68

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I doubt you're going to see a mass exodus. For every one AT&T user you hear about having a miserable experience, there are probably 8-10 that are ok with the network, and don't have any issues. The question boils down to coverage, and what you're happy with.

I actually switched from Verizon TO AT&T. Mostly because I need a GSM phone, but I also have some issues with Verizon in my area. AT&T works better. I'm also on a business account, which helps with Customer Service.

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
With the iPhone 5 coming in June/July, most are probably waiting to see what that has to offer. Assuming that most people who are willing to pay the ETF purchased their iPhone 4 right around launch, they will be about 12 months or $120 less on their ETF when the iPhone 5 comes out which should lessen the blow.

Now if Verizon gets the iPhone 5 at the same time as AT&T then that is when we will most likely see the "mass exodus" For anyone to switch now they would be paying $200 for VZW iPhone plus around $250 ETF for the EXACT phone they already own.

hoosieriphone

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
dumb move

I know a guy at work who switched from att to verizon. He ordered a new iP4. I asked hime why he didn't stay with att. Guess he owed a lot of $$$$ on his bill. Well his new iP4 arrived and he couldn't understand why the phone wouldn't work. I tried to explain to him while keeping a straight face that we don't have any Verizon coverage here in this part of Indiana. Oh well.....:D

slide

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
What's going on here is that many tried AT&T to get the iPhone but gave it up due to poor coverage. So they went Verizon & BB usually. These guys are now moving back to iPhone but they were already on Verizon. AT&T coverage here is famous for being terrible.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I personally know 0.0 people who switched from AT&T. When their contracts are up they will consider it all have told me. Some are waiting until the summer for the new model but are not sold on Verizon, mostly just waiting for the new model.

Edit - I know 3 people who dropped a BB and 2 Droid X's for the iPhone on Verizon. I have a feeling I will be seeing more of these people than people leaving AT&T for awhile.

Last edited:

Crucial_Xtreme

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
AT&T has been spending millions of dollars to upgrade their network. The sometimes poor network issues people experienced 8-12 months ago, are not as bad(if at all) in lots of places. Yes there are still issues, but AT&T has been trying to remedy the problem. This is part of it.
I'd say the other parts are contracts & awaiting the newest version coming in June.

AT&T service is great where I live. I travel lots and usually have no problems then either. I personally think for the most part, Verizon's network is over-hyped.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73