Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Beginner

Default Leaving message on server?

My wife is trying to set up an email account and she needs it to leave the message on the server so she can pull it down to her laptop later...

How can you do this?
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    2,470 Global Posts
    iOS Version

The mail server needs to support imap or active sync (exchange) to do what you want.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    383 Global Posts

Not true. By default the iphone will leave mail on server. There isn't an option to change that.

It's the client on your computer you need to make sure you tell it to leave the mail on the server for at least a few days (in case you happen to be unable the get data connection iphone) so that if the email is checked on the computer, it is still there for when the iphone checks it.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iPhone Beginner

She checks her email on laptop via "webmail". So you are saying if she checks it on her iPhone, it will still be there when she tries to access on Laptop?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    5,023 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Might depend on her mail provider? I use gmail, set up as an exchange account--this way my phone and my laptop are always in sync. Anything read on my phone is still in my mail account online, it's just marked as read.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    195 Global Posts

I Believe it depends on if the account is IMAP or POP. But I could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    383 Global Posts

If she just checks it using webmail. She should be fine. Like I said the default setting for delete from server in iPhone is never. If you want to check its under advanced in the email settings.