Insurance or no insurance?

VZiPhoneFinally

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
So with all of the threads going on about which insurance provider offers the cheapest rate I am curious who is getting insurance and who isn't. I personally have never had insurance for any of my phones and luckily have never needed it. I am extremely careful with my phones and never drop or damage them. Is there anyone else like me or are most of you getting insurance?

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I had insurance on a couple phones years back. It's funny because I always had insurance on the cheap phones but never once on any high end device and none of the iPhones I've owned. I did have a squaretrade warranty on the iPhone 4 when it first came out because I didn't know what was going to happen with the glass front and back. But I canceled it within the first money and got my money back. I only needed the insurance 1 time and it worked fine. Was thinking about getting another square trade warranty but still not sure. If I do it would just be me thinking of it as an investment to help resale value of it when I sell it.

aggieastrosfan

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
My 3rd gen iPod touch that was a gift from my mom had a rough life - cracked digitizer, and then 6 months later I cracked the LCD. I bought insurance when I upgraded to the 4th gen, and just bought the Squaretrade warranty this morning. $80 to insure a $700 device for 2 years is well worth ths money to me - I'd much rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it!

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Insurance is necessary depending on the user. I agree that it's better to have just in case you do need it but I've had every iPhone and never needed insurance. Sure, I know it only takes one time but I'll take that risk. Now my wife.... that's a different story. That's a woman that left her iPhone in her pants pocket and washed it. Yeah.

Also a device that costs as much as this does to be replaced can be covered under your renters/homeowners insurance. You just have to follow your company's process to make specific items covered. Mine is covered for no additional cost. Of course, it's not as convenient as other insurance options but I take free any day.

Last edited:

anon4705193

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I've always had insurance on my phone through Asurion/Verizon (my parents got it for me with my earlier ones since I was traveling to and from school etc and then I chose to keep it up myself in case of drop/emergency/other). Knock wood I've never needed to use it for a fix/replacement but it's nice knowing it's there in case

Darth-gamer

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I'd just like to point out that how careful YOU are is only part of your consideration on weather or not you might want insurance. I am EXTREMELY careful with my electronics. That doesn't mean that a friend/coworker/stranger couldn't step on it, run it over, spill something on it. You also have no control over electronic failures. It's like if you are driving. I don't care if you are the best driver in the world. Not everyone is, so you could easily have someone hit you. I went for SquareTrade when they had the $81 deal going.

DoctorK

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't going to do it, but for $81 I thought the value with SquareTrade was too good to pass up. Lots of satisfied customers. I got one on each of our iPhone 4's (32GB).

Blackbelt

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Square trade does not cover your device in case of loss or theft. I will contact my home insurance and add to my current home insurance rider for very little cost.

RC28

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Square trade does not cover your device in case of loss or theft. I will contact my home insurance and add to my current home insurance rider for very little cost.

The only prob with using your homeowners insurance is that if you need to use it, it could cause your policy premium to be raised. I checked with my insurance company, and they told me this would likely happen. It might be cheaper to go another route. YMMV.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I bought insurance through Asurion. They way I look at it is... if you cant afford a few extra bucks to protect a very nice iPhone than you probably cant afford the phone itself. I recommend it.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I bought insurance through Asurion. They way I look at it is... if you cant afford a few extra bucks to protect a very nice iPhone than you probably cant afford the phone itself. I recommend it.

Yeah but I think the monthly cost for Asurion is absurd. At least with square trade you can transfer or cancel and get some of your money back. That much money for a monthly fee + a huge deductible. No thanks. But I know what you're saying.

Last edited:

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Square trade does not cover your device in case of loss or theft.

You know how many people would report their iPhone as lost when it isn't? Insurance companies take that risk everyday and they can higher an insurance premium to mitigate that risk. Would your insurance company make you pay your deductible first if something happened? Picture paying a $500 deductible if they did. It's an option but not the best in my book. My insurance company would cover no cost, but I'd have to pay the deductible.

Last edited:

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Yeah but I think the monthly cost for Asurion is absurd. At least with square trade you can transfer or cancel and get some of your money back. That much money for a monthly fee + a huge deductible. No thanks. But I know what you're saying.

Yeah its a high ded but if I lose my phone, I dont want to pay $749 plus tax. I'd rather pay $200. The monthly fee break down to like .40 cents a day. Not a back breaker.

shimojunk

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
My iPhone is being delivered today. I'm not going to get insurance because if it gets damaged or lost (knock on wood), then I will just reactivate and use my blackberry for the remainder of the 2 year contract.

That's ridiculous spending that much money for insurance on a phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2