Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Default Does your IPHONE interfere with you cable tv?

My iPhone interferes with my Timewarner cable tv. I have a scientific Atlantic 8300HD cable box with DVR capabilities this does not happen on all channels. Only the HD channels. And only certain channels. Like the golf channel (773 here). CNBC (731 here). What happens is e screen freezes and then continues i have impressed/suprised people by teeling them this then showing them Has anyone ever heard of this. It is not the cabling. It happens on the TVs as well in my house with cable box DVR capabilities. I do notice this is on 3G not while using wifi......
    iPhone Pro

Global Posts
    1,358 Global Posts

Nope no issues here. I have comcast and my iphone doesnt interfere with it at all
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I have Verizon Fios, no issues with any cable or DVR and I have 3 boxes with DVRs in my house! I had a problem with the DVR freezing a month ago and the box needed to be replaced by a tech guy because it was going bad. What are you doing with your phone that you think it's making the DVR freeze up?
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iPhone Newbie

If I simply get a txt message or surf the Internet over the 3G connection.
    iPhone Experts

iOS Version

How do you know it is your iPhone?

I have a Scientific Atlanta 8300HDC DVR with Time Warner Cable and I have no issues.
    iPhone 5 16GB / 21.5" iMac. 3.06GHz OSX Mountain Lion/ Apple TV 2nd Gen/ iPad Gen2, 16GB.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iPhone Newbie

i know it is the phone because i can literally sit there and start my browser and wathc the picture freeze...then i stop put the phone down and it stops....pick it up again..check email and it freezes the picture again..
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    941 Global Posts

You have a problem with the cabling somewhere. There is a cut, or split, or bad connector or device (2-way, 4-way ect.) not keeping the cable system sealed, and letting rf interference into your cable setup.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,475 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tfalsetta View Post
    My iPhone interferes with my Timewarner cable tv. I have a scientific Atlantic 8300HD cable box with DVR capabilities this does not happen on all channels. Only the HD channels. And only certain channels. Like the golf channel (773 here). CNBC (731 here). What happens is e screen freezes and then continues i have impressed/suprised people by teeling them this then showing them Has anyone ever heard of this. It is not the cabling. It happens on the TVs as well in my house with cable box DVR capabilities. I do notice this is on 3G not while using wifi......
    You should rephrase your statement. Your iPhone isn't interfering with it; your cable system isn't shielded properly, so it is allowing interference. Or (and this is more likely) your cable operator is having issues. If I may ask, what is your operator?
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    236 Global Posts

Agreed. I have time Warner with the same box and could not duplicate your situation. Likely you have compromised shielding somewhere.
    iPhone Newbie

No problems here as well, I have Fiber Optic service.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

Time Warner here with the same DVR box and no issues, never had any with WiFi or Verizon phones, I even have an Extender (non-3G even if that makes a difference) about four feet from my DVR and nothing.
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  
    iPhone Newbie

SWITCH BOXES ASAP. I HAD THIS PROBLEM WITH THE SCIENTIFIC ATLANTIC 8300 and now I have the new Samsung from time Warner and it no longer interferes.
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by tfalsetta View Post
    This defiantly is a problem with your wifi interfearing with your cable box, since you said it only happens when you are connected to wifi. This would be where you contact you cable company.
    -Power To The Players
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    344 Global Posts

No problems with my Comcast service when using either my or my wifes Verizon IP4 or my brothers ATT IP4, even when used all at the same time.
    iPhone Nanite

Default Re: Does your IPHONE interfere with you cable tv?

My iPhone was doing this too, with Time Warner cable box. I turned off the bluetooth on the phone and it immediately fixed the problem.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Default Re: Does your IPHONE interfere with you cable tv?

Quote Originally Posted by tfalsetta#im View Post
    Only when my annoying brother-in-law makes it ring while I’m trying to watch football...
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina