Mic issue during calls

mgrayo01

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
When I'm on a voice call with someone, apparently my microphone doesn't work. Well, it does, but only if I have speakerphone on. Otherwise no sound goes into my mic.

I tried plugging headphones in and out a whole bunch of times, restarting the phone, putting a paper clip in the headphone jack to clean it out....to no avail. I haven't tried restoring yet because I don't want to have to download all of my apps again if I don't have to.

Any other suggestions? If not, I guess I will have to try to restore or bring it into an Apple store......WEAK

Spat

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
This happened on a 3G back when my dh got it new. Apple tested it and gave him another one and just said mic went out. This was long time ago but guess it's just something that can happen.

Waxon

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Been using these Scout headphones from Nox ever since I got them for Xmas and I swear they work in everything and have the smallest send button I've ever seen. Check em out and let me know what you think.

Hope this helps.

mgrayo01

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Just go to Apple. Why even spend your time diagnosing something just to come the same end, going to Apple.

I think you're right. I'm actually really pissed right now. I just went to a Verizon store on my lunchbreak to see what they could do (big mistake). The "technician" tested the mic, and of course it didn't work on a regular call. He didn't even test the speakerphone to make sure it worked while using the speakerphone.

Anyway, he set me up with the sales rep who said it would take about a week to ship me a new phone, which I thought was crazy since my girlfriend got a replacement blackberry when her's broker the NEXT DAY. He went to check the exact date when they could get me one on the computer and another woman came over (supervisor?) and said I could either use my BB Storm 2 until the new one comes...or keep my current iPhone and pay FULL RETAIL ($699) for the one i ALREADY BOUGHT until I get the new one and get reimbursed. Ridiculous.

So I told them I was taking it to Apple, and they gave me a weak, "Sorry".

Has anyone heard of this practice? Any Verizon Wireless employees on this board? What else can Apple do?

Also, over the past few days I've tried every remedy I have found for this on Google and nothing has worked. I'm going crazy.

alpha752

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
My experience with Vzw customer service (in store or phone) has been less then ideal. I would just take it to Apple, they are much better about treating you like a person instead of an account number.

mgrayo01

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
So a quick update. Finally brought my iPhone to the Apple store, and with 10 minutes they gave me a new one. HUGE improvement from Verizon. We activated the new one at the store, I tested it and was good to go. Went home to restore all my contacts, apps, etc

However...

At first the iPhone wasn't being recognized by my computer OR iTunes. Eventually I tried plugging the USB into the iPhone while holding the Home button. That got iTunes to recognize it and start the restore. Now I keep getting an Error 1611. Did a google search and it seems like its a tough one to solve and I will probably have to go back to the Apple store again tomorrow.

Seriously, I'm almost ready to give up and just get a droid or go back to Blackberry. I mean, BB is a boring phone, but at least it WORKS. This is just crazy. A third phone in the first week and a half????

mgrayo01

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
They told me to call Apple

Yea, if you're going to have someone look at it, make that person an Apple genius.

Update #3: Just went to the Apple store (for the second time in 2 days) and they gave me ANOTHER iPhone haha. The genius said it was probably a firmware corruption problem but he wasn't sure. Anyway, I have my 3rd Verizon iPhone since Monday, February 7. Hopefully it doesn't brick again tonight when I try to restore from my backup. I will let everyone know what happens tonight.

I'm not a religious man, but I'm kinda praying that there are no more problems.

jlmans79

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Ok, first off I called Verizon they couldn't help me cause I bought the phone through apple, apple can't help me cause they can't replace Verizon customers phones, so back to Verizon & they open a trouble ticket & the issue might be resolved in 2 days! WTF! Now what am I supposed to do!? This sucks!

boogaloo1

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Bought myself AppleCare coverage and it took me less than 24 hours to register my phone. I can walk in to any Apple store and they'll take care of any problems, no matter where I bought it. Forget Verizon if you need warranty replacements. Good luck.

mgrayo01

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Ok, first off I called Verizon they couldn't help me cause I bought the phone through apple, apple can't help me cause they can't replace Verizon customers phones, so back to Verizon & they open a trouble ticket & the issue might be resolved in 2 days! WTF! Now what am I supposed to do!? This sucks!

That's weird that Apple couldn't help you. I'm a Verizon customer and they gave me 2 new phones. Maybe its an insurance thing?? But I would assume that manufacturer defects would be covered under warranty. Strange.

Anyway, I successfully restored my contacts, messages, etc. last night and finally have a working iPhone! Yay.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234