New to iphone, Contacts question

TiNuts

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

Me and my wife just got our first iphones. We absolutely love them so far. The only problem I have so far is the automatic syncing of contacts of each phone since we only use one computer. Is there a way to prevent the mixing of contacts (basically we have identical lists, a mix of hers and mine together)? Like a setting in itunes or something. Or a setting to not autosync the phone when I connect it? I have a work around, but it's a pain in the ass everytime I want to connect a phone.

Thank you.

mikesa_tx

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
There is an option in itunes that you can choose I believe that you can set for iTunes not to come on when the iphone is plugged in.

TiNuts

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I have that set. I'm talking more about lets say I just want to put some music on my phone, when I do start itunes it wants to sync contacts.

I keep unchecking the sync box, but it seems to recheck itself whenever i start itunes.

Last edited:

mikesa_tx

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I have that set. I'm talking more about lets say I just want to put some music on my phone, when I do start itunes it wants to sync contacts.

I keep unchecking the sync box, but it seems to recheck itself whenever i start itunes.

Have you tried to open up the itunes first before plugging in your phone to see if you can uncheck it? I may be wrong or off here but I am not sure if this works. I haven't had an issue with mine. I plug my phone in then open itunes and go from there.

Sorry if this is off.

DoctorK

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried to open up the itunes first before plugging in your phone to see if you can uncheck it? I may be wrong or off here but I am not sure if this works. I haven't had an issue with mine. I plug my phone in then open itunes and go from there.

Sorry if this is off.

Yeah, that setting is only available when the phone is plugged in. Be sure to click "Apply" after you uncheck the box for Sync Contacts. That should keep that unchecked. You could each then sync over the air w/ google or exchange or whatnot.

In terms of not having your phone automatically sync, on a PC, go to Edit > Preferences. There's a box you can uncheck to turn that off.

If it were me, though, I would set up a second library. On a PC, hold down the Shift Key when clicking the iTunes icon (I think you use Option on a Mac). Keep holding down the Shift key until the prompt pops up for "Create a new library" or "Choose library." Then you could each have your settings be completely different.

Reactions: mikesa_tx

TiNuts

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
In terms of not having your phone automatically sync, on a PC, go to Edit > Preferences. There's a box you can uncheck to turn that off.

I don't know how I missed this. Thank you.

If it were me, though, I would set up a second library. On a PC, hold down the Shift Key when clicking the iTunes icon (I think you use Option on a Mac). Keep holding down the Shift key until the prompt pops up for "Create a new library" or "Choose library." Then you could each have your settings be completely different.

I have our contacts seperated in 2 folders, neither of which i keep in windows contacts folder. I'd just move the applicable folder into windows contacts folder whenever I needed. It works, but i kept forgetting to take them back out.

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I would set up one/both of your contact lists to sync through gmail or another Exchange service. That would be the easiest way to keep them separate.

You might be able to keep one list in the Windows contacts and the other in Outlook, if you have it. iTunes has settings in the Contacts on where to sync them from and they for sure can be separate for each phone, but I'm not sure if those 2 sources read from the same place or not.

I'll find out, though. I'm going to start syncing my wife's phone to my PC soon since my laptop is having issues reading from my file server (determining gapless playback for HOURS on end...)

UKFan643

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
You could each set up Google Contacts and then set it up as an exchange account so that there is automatic syncing to your own contacts. Otherwise, I'd suggest having separate profiles in Windows so that each iTunes library is separate. You would have to switch accounts within Windows in order to Sync, but that way you would each have your own iTunes to sync with.

TiNuts

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys.

I dont have outlook. Just windows mail or whatever it is now. I think the not autosync setting will do what I want. Il look into other contact sync options.

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
If you have a gmail account, iTunes will export from your phone straight to the Google Contacts. Might be a good option. Sync options are saved per-phone on your PC, not one setting for all.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2