App Synching

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I ran into an issue last night. I have an iPhone. My two children each have ipod touches. When they plug up and sync, seems their apps that are new are uploaded to itunes, that is good. However, anything new that someone else may have synched is now synched down to their ipods, same happens to my phone. I don't want their apps, I just want to be able to sync up to itunes w/o downloading their apps.

Which also brings up an interesting question. If I buy and app for $5, and it syncs up to itunes when I plug in, what stops my clidren from syncing that app to their ipod and using it without paying?

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
I ran into an issue last night. I have an iPhone. My two children each have ipod touches. When they plug up and sync, seems their apps that are new are uploaded to itunes, that is good. However, anything new that someone else may have synched is now synched down to their ipods, same happens to my phone. I don't want their apps, I just want to be able to sync up to itunes w/o downloading their apps.

Which also brings up an interesting question. If I buy and app for $5, and it syncs up to itunes when I plug in, what stops my clidren from syncing that app to their ipod and using it without paying?

When you plug whatever device you are currently syncing into your computer and launch Itunes, click on the device. AT the top of the window will be tabs for each of the items you can sync (apps, video's, music, photos etc). Click on the apps tag and then select "select apps individualy" or something like that. At that point, only the apps you select should sync and only when yoiu manaually sync.

On the second question, nothing. Apps can be shared between divices.

Double 0

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Ring,

I believe this is what you are probably looking for. Tipb had a post on there blog about it 2 weeks ago. You can check it out here. I hope this helps.

Reactions: Alli

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Ring,

I believe this is what you are probably looking for. Tipb had a post on there blog about it 2 weeks ago. You can check it out here. I hope this helps.

That is a good suggestion, but might be overkill for what they are trying to accomplish.

The easiest way, as stated by nyc is on the Apps tab when the iDevice is connected, you will see the list of apps on the left, and the iDevice screens on the right.

Below the left box/list is "Automatically Sync new Apps"

Uncheck that one. And then you can drag and drop what apps you do and don't want on each device.

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I will try that. If I uncheck it, will it still upload apps or do I have to do that manually? I know there are two check boxes, the one at the top if unchecked will grey out the one at the bottom. So, would I check the one at the top and uncheck the one at the bottom to do what I need? Sorry, I don't have my pc in front of my right now to look.

iSRS

Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I will try that. If I uncheck it, will it still upload apps or do I have to do that manually? I know there are two check boxes, the one at the top if unchecked will grey out the one at the bottom. So, would I check the one at the top and uncheck the one at the bottom to do what I need? Sorry, I don't have my pc in front of my right now to look.

You need the one at the top checked. That is the one that tells iTunes you want to sync apps. The one at the bottom of the list, just under the app list box, you want unchecked.

You will have to manually drag the apps you want on the connected device over to the pages of that device in iTunes.

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
You will have to sync apps manually if you have that unchecked, but it will also prevent new apps that you might not want your kids to play with from syncing to their IPT.

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
You need the one at the top checked. That is the one that tells iTunes you want to sync apps. The one at the bottom of the list, just under the app list box, you want unchecked.

You will have to manually drag the apps you want on the connected device over to the pages of that device in iTunes.

Okay, top checked, bottom unchecked. If I want a new app, I have to drag it from itunes to my iphone?

So, with that setting, will any new app that I have downloaded on my device from the app store on my phone sync up to itunes or is that a manual process as well?

iSRS

Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Okay, top checked, bottom unchecked. If I want a new app, I have to drag it from itunes to my iphone?
Correct on the checks. And yes, for apps you download within iTunes.

So, with that setting, will any new app that I have downloaded on my device from the app store on my phone sync up to itunes or is that a manual process as well?
Any app you download on the device itself will backup next time you connect to iTunes on you Mac/PC. It will stay on the device as well, until you remove it, without any intervention. Also, when the app is updated, and say you get the update in iTunes, it will automatically update on the device on the next sync.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ringfinger

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner