Ditch T-mobile for iPhone 4v?

JHBThree

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
So, I've been with T-mobile for just about a month now. I have a MyTouch 4G, can pull down 6mb/s or so peak data (usually 2). Before this I had an iPhone 4 on AT&T, but their coverage sucked (despite their maps showing it as a high speed area), so I was only able to pull down 600kb/s or thereabouts 99% of the time.

When the iPhone for Verizon was announced, I rolled my eyes because I knew Verizon was slower, and more expensive. BUT, now that I'm with Android, the Verizon iPhone is tempting. I know Apple's product cycle, and know a new iPhone will be out this summer. I also know that they won't be gambling on an LTE version anytime soon, so a Verizon iPhone purchase wouldn't be as risky as, say, an AT&T purchase right now. (what with HSPA+ coming down the pike)

So here's my point-blank question: Is it a stupid idea to switch?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
You've only been with T-Mo a month. Your ETF will cost you a fortune.

Only 600 kbs 99% of the time? That's better than what I get on my home service 75% of the time!

anaphora68

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
To answer you honestly, yes, it is a stupid idea to switch. You asked...

I just cancelled a Verizon contract to go to AT&T. My ETF was still fairly hefty (around 200 or so), but I also ported my number to Google Voice. I'm expecting to be traveling quite a bit in the next few years, and the call management features of Google Voice give me some degree of freedom. I also want a phone that works on GSM.

If T-Mo is good as far as coverage and service for you, keep it. If you switch, you may not be as happy with Verizon as you think you will be.

mikesa_tx

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
If you are getting good service with T-Mobile I would stay with them. You don't want to pay that ETF which in your case is gonna be a good chunk of change.

iPhoneGleek

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
what you could do if you you really want to get an iphone, sell your my touch then buy and iPhone 3gs or even an iphone 4 on ebay (one that is unlocked) and use it on T-Mobile.

JHBThree

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Alright, so I decided today to give Verizon a try with a temporary number. Probably not going to stick with it. Verizon's network is significantly slower than T-mobile's, though its faster than AT&T's in my area. I'd also be paying $10 a month more for slower speeds and fewer features. (mobile hotspot with my t-mobile phone was free up until 5gb) Also to be clear, the speeds are totally adequate for anything you could do on the iPhone. I've gotten addicted to the crazy fast speeds of T-mobile though, so unfortunately pretty much anything else looks slow.

kellyp513

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
If you decide not to stay with Verizon and stick with T-Mobile, you can purchase a 3GS or 4 as another poster suggested. I purchased a 3GS a few months ago and have had no problems using it on T-Mobile. While I can't take advantage of 3G speeds, I'm on wifi 99% of the time, so it's not an issue for me.

ImStrapped

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Tmo's phone selection isn't so great but their rates and unlimited usage terms are jus perfect. Hate the fact that AT&T tells ppl how much internet they can use.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
You've only been with T-Mo a month. Your ETF will cost you a fortune.

Only 600 kbs 99% of the time? That's better than what I get on my home service 75% of the time!

then you have terrible home service I get 20 mb down on my house service

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2