iPhone ActiveSync connectivity over 3G

hrznjb

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
My iPhone is having trouble maintaining connectivity to the Exchange server over ActiveSync when using 3G. Our gateway side logs seem to indicate that the connection is repeatedly dropped by the Verizon side. This results in the iPhone churning a "connecting" message, failing to connect, failing to move or delete email, etc. This also puts significant dent in battery life. There are no such issues when connecting over Wifi. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Darth-gamer

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
My iPhone is having trouble maintaining connectivity to the Exchange server over ActiveSync when using 3G. Our gateway side logs seem to indicate that the connection is repeatedly dropped by the Verizon side. This results in the iPhone churning a "connecting" message, failing to connect, failing to move or delete email, etc. This also puts significant dent in battery life. There are no such issues when connecting over Wifi. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Has it been doing it today? Yesterday a lot of us, including myself, had exchange issues, but they seem to have cleared up today.

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I have had zero problems with one Exchange I use, but tons with Google.

rkawski

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same problems. The interesting thing is if I connect the iPhone to my Droid Incredible via the droid's hotspot feature I don't have this problem. Not sure what's going on.

BrooklynGuy

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I seem to have this problem today. Calls are fine on 3G, internet/apps fine on wi-fi, but no internet/apps on 3G, and mail keeps giving the "connecting" message.

rkawski

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm continuing to have problems with checking mail. Email set to Fetch New Data as push I will not always get new emails. When I manually go to email it will sit at connecting and never go anywhere.

The only thing that makes it stop doing that kill the mail app from double tap home it and then relaunch it. Going back in after that it will check email within seconds.

I also tried putting the phone on the corporate email package and that didn't help either. It shouldn't be required as my droid incredilbe does not require it and has no active sync issues.

BrooklynGuy

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
So, after not getting anything on 3G today, but wi-fi being fine, I went to the Verizon store in my building. Turns out I had "Data Roaming" set to OFF, which apparently means you don't get any 3G data services. So, the problem now seems solved.

crispjw

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
That doesn't seem right... setting "Data Roaming" to OFF should mean if you go outside the verizon calling area (say overseas), your iPhone won't attempt to download data. Downloading data (or making calls) when your outside the Verizon calling area is very expensive. You should still be able to get 3G data services with "Data Roaming" set to off.

BrooklynGuy

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
That doesn't seem right... setting "Data Roaming" to OFF should mean if you go outside the verizon calling area (say overseas), your iPhone won't attempt to download data. Downloading data (or making calls) when your outside the Verizon calling area is very expensive. You should still be able to get 3G data services with "Data Roaming" set to off.

I thought exactly the same thing as you, which is why I had Roaming set to OFF. But, with it set to OFF, I couldn't do anything on 3G. I will try switching it back to OFF to see if the problem happens again.

rkawski

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I called into Verizon last night as I was still having problems. They transferred me from department to department and the what so far seems to have fixed it is what the last guy did. He did a DMU reset which only they can do.

It appears its a security encryption thing. All other settings including BrooklynGuy's data roaming option did not correct the problem.

I have not had any problems all day today since the DMU reset. Push emails come thru before they do on my droid incredible and when not on push going into email gives connecting and within seconds checking for mail and updated.

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I called into Verizon last night as I was still having problems. They transferred me from department to department and the what so far seems to have fixed it is what the last guy did. He did a DMU reset which only they can do.

It appears its a security encryption thing. All other settings including BrooklynGuy's data roaming option did not correct the problem.

I have not had any problems all day today since the DMU reset. Push emails come thru before they do on my droid incredible and when not on push going into email gives connecting and within seconds checking for mail and updated.

Looks like what ever issues I was having are also fixed. Left imap and exchange up and get exchange first.

rkawski

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Well my issues seems to come and go. It is now doing it on WiFi so I suspect Apple broke something in iOS 4.2.6 as my 4.2.1 iPhone and droid incredible do not have any issues syncing with the same Exchange servers.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjamison2387