Block Unwanted Calls

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Also available are tools via your MyVerizon page - you can do up to 5 numbers free, or pay for some 'parental controls' and block up to 20... log on to your MyVerizon page for details.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Also available are tools via your MyVerizon page - you can do up to 5 numbers free, or pay for some 'parental controls' and block up to 20... log on to your MyVerizon page for details.

I'd rather pay a small one time fee for an app than to pay monthly to verizon and have to log on every time I want to manage it. Call blocking apps are so much better and easier and more importantly, CHEAPER. But the Verizon one is another option though.

Last edited:

usf2011

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
As soon as you activate a new iPhone on Verizon, the option to block 5 calls for free disappears. The Verizon Tech Support rep had no clue about how to restore the service. Call block service is available for my other 3 phones, but not for iPhone.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
As soon as you activate a new iPhone on Verizon, the option to block 5 calls for free disappears. The Verizon Tech Support rep had no clue about how to restore the service. Call block service is available for my other 3 phones, but not for iPhone.

Works just fine for me... I added one to my list Sunday... the idiot political survey that called during the 2nd quarter of the (NFL Trademark that can't be mentioned) game.

mountainhouse

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

This is odd. I also have it available on other phones, but not for the line with the iPhone on it. And it was available before I added the iPhone. :confused: I called Verizon, and they said there were apps to do this.... wrong.

I end up downloading a silent ringtone at this site. I created a contact for the number that keeps call me, and associated that ring. Not a perfect solution, but better than answering all those calls.

Anyone know why Verizon can't do this?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Works just fine for me... I added one to my list Sunday... the idiot political survey that called during the 2nd quarter of the (NFL Trademark that can't be mentioned) game.

Upon further review - now that by billing cycle date has passed, the option for the call blocking I described above is no longer available... looks like one would have to opt for the full set of parental controls to block calls.

usf2011

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Verizon Customer Service Reply

Here is Verizon's reply to my inquiry...

"My name is Peter and I thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless. I appreciate your inquiry about your call block feature. You are a valued customer and I will be happy to explain why this feature is not working, and am sorry to hear of the dropped call you when speaking with Jeff.

The call block feature is currently not compatible with the iPhone. This is why the feature was available with your Blackberry device but is no longer available. I do apologize for the inconvenience this may cause."
A different rep said "the reason you can't block calls with an iPhone is because voicemail resides on the phone, whereas with a Blackberry, voicemail resides on the Verizon server."

Call Verizon 10 times... get 10 different answers.... but, none of them are the one I want to hear... "No problem, your free call block feature is working."

tourstagefan

May 15, 2010
Visit site

I just discovered this fact as well. Had a rude awakening when I received a text msg. from crazy ex-GF this morning. :mad:

Apparently, Apple did not want to allow Verizon to block calls, citing that there are Apps that can handle this. I see no reason whatsoever for Steve Jobs to interfere with a feature such as this one.

Blocking calls and text msgs. from the Verizon network end is far more desirable than relying on an app.

Last edited:

cmpdblue

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
That's a good reason to keep my YouMail account. You can block as many #'s as you like, including entire area codes. I block all toll-free area codes, as well as all "private" or "unknown caller" calls. I haven't had one sneak through yet :)

The service is free, and is phone independent - so works perfectly on my ViP4.

Just a thought...

christineelise

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
It is so annoying, you cannot even buy the service for 4.99. I have no idea what jailbreak means and even still why should I have to do that to block a number.. UGH So annoying!

Lanulos

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Looking at my daughter's new vzw iPhone, it looks like it doesn't even have a silent ringtone, you would have to make one. Even my old Motorola E815 lets me set the ring to silent for contact entries. Very useful for persistent unwanted calls from a certain well-known pseudoreligion. I have 13 of their numbers in my contacts set to silent (as in Silentology). I don't know they've called until five minutes later when the phone beeps for the missed call.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
That's a good reason to keep my YouMail account. You can block as many #'s as you like, including entire area codes. I block all toll-free area codes, as well as all "private" or "unknown caller" calls. I haven't had one sneak through yet :)

The service is free, and is phone independent - so works perfectly on my ViP4.

Just a thought...

Yeah youmail is good but don't you need your voicemail routed through them to use that feature? That's a deal breaker for me because I use google voice and I can't give up the transcription of emails for youmail service.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73