How do I get it to...

Todd Sullivan

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
How do I get the my gmail account to automatically update and show that I have a new email. I am coming from a Blackberry and use to it automatically showing you when you have a new email. Currently when I open up my email app it fetches the emails and then updates showing me all of the new emails.

Also how do you close down an app? Do you double tap the home screen and then hold the icon and hit the red circle. Should you do this each time to cut down on the amount of apps running at one time and save battery life?

Thanks for all of your help.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
You'll have to set gmail up as exchange to get push email ( like what you had with the BB ).

Most apps do not run in the background and really take up processor cycles. Some will stay resident in memory so they don't have to completely re-load if you re-open them, but most ( except streaming music & GPS apps ) won't actually continually run once you've closed them.

Think of that list of apps more like a recently used list rather than what is running in the background.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
How do I get the my gmail account to automatically update and show that I have a new email. I am coming from a Blackberry and use to it automatically showing you when you have a new email. Currently when I open up my email app it fetches the emails and then updates showing me all of the new emails.

Also how do you close down an app? Do you double tap the home screen and then hold the icon and hit the red circle. Should you do this each time to cut down on the amount of apps running at one time and save battery life?

Thanks for all of your help.

You need to setup up your GMAIL via exchange and email would be pushed and you'd get a count of new emails.

Don't worry about closing down apps. They don't affect performance nor battery life. This is why Apple made it this way, so the user doesn't have to worry about managing it. I know I hated having to micromanage every feature of Android to save battery life.

Vorpal279

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I set mine up with a hotmail e-mail address. Is there a way to delete it on your phone, as well as delete it out of your inbox? You could do that with Blackberry.

Todd Sullivan

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the quick answers. I never actually setup the exchange on my BB, I believe Verizon did that for me. Could someone please explain how to setup gmail via exchange. Is exchange an App? Thanks and sorry for the newbie question.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I set mine up with a hotmail e-mail address. Is there a way to delete it on your phone, as well as delete it out of your inbox? You could do that with Blackberry.

I think Hotmail can also be setup as an exchange account. So if so, you'd get
the syncing of deletions.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2