Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,530 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.0.1

Default My observations COming from Android...

First, it's a beautiful device. Somethings that I've noticed, is that it doesn't have a good notifications system like android, where there is a section at the top of the phone that has notifications when you've received a message, email, etc. I also notice, that it doesn't have true multitasking, as when you leave various apps, and come back, it doesn't hold the place that it was in when you left, and some apps seem to close out completely. I also noticed that apps sometimes make you sign into it over and and over again, instead of staying logged in/signed in, like it does on android. Other than those things so far, I'm liking it a lot.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    5,147 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by briankeith513 View Post
    First, it's a beautiful device. Somethings that I've noticed, is that it doesn't have a good notifications system like android, where there is a section at the top of the phone that has notifications when you've received a message, email, etc. I also notice, that it doesn't have true multitasking, as when you leave various apps, and come back, it doesn't hold the place that it was in when you left, and some apps seem to close out completely. I also noticed that apps sometimes make you sign into it over and and over again, instead of staying logged in/signed in, like it does on android. Other than those things so far, I'm liking it a lot.
    Yeah I agree with you about the notification system. That's one of the biggest criticisms of iOS. I think it was last year they hired someone who was instrumental in the development of Android's notification system. And you're correct about TRUE multitasking but that also depends on the app. The developer as to make sure it supports iOS multitasking. Also, iOS will close apps automatically when too many are running so that way we don't have to manage it and worry about task killers.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by briankeith513 View Post
    I don't have the iPhone yet, but I believe in order to get back to the app without the iPhone restarting from the beginning would be double tapping the home button which brings up the multitasking menu, and then clicking on the app which should leave you off where you were.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    5,147 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rsantana View Post
    I don't have the iPhone yet, but I believe in order to get back to the app without the iPhone restarting from the beginning would be double tapping the home button which brings up the multitasking menu, and then clicking on the app which should leave you off where you were.
    Yes you can do that or select the app again from one of the screens. Either way doesn't make a difference. But the OP is correct that the multitasking isn't "true" multitasking in terms of what other platforms do. It's not bad but just different because your apps can time out and be closed automatically when too many are open rather than sucking up memory like Android and blackberry. I don't mind it though. To get true multitasking, jailbreak and download Backgrounder.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    391 Global Posts

when you get your iPhones, let me know how many times you end up trying to swipe done from the top to see your notifications lol
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    1,916 Global Posts

I am only missing widgets from android.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

Double tap the home button and all your background apps will show up across the bottom of the screen and allow you to resume them right where you left off.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    5,147 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jdragione View Post
    Double tap the home button and all your background apps will show up across the bottom of the screen and allow you to resume them right where you left off.
    Selecting it from there or selecting the app from the home screen takes you to the same place. The bottom is just a shortcut and shows you everything but it's no different then actually finding the app on one of your homescreens and selecting it. It will take you to the same spot.
    iPhone Pro

Global Posts
    1,358 Global Posts

I made the switch from android and agree wish there was some kind of notification up top but I love the phone and the os seems alot more smoothed and polished and who knows with future updates maybe they will change the notification system. I like how when you get an email the phone vibrates where it would never do that with android
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,530 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.0.1

Yep, loving it so far myself. However, it's my wife's, and I had to persuade her to get it. lol. I probably won't get one til next year, when an LTE Iphone comes out. Do you all know how to put your own wallpapers, ringtones, and videos on the iphone yet?
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shipwresler125 View Post
    I made the switch from android and agree wish there was some kind of notification up top but I love the phone and the os seems alot more smoothed and polished and who knows with future updates maybe they will change the notification system. I like how when you get an email the phone vibrates where it would never do that with android
    My Droid vibrates on an email. It's in the settings. I am still torn between the iPhone and the Thunderbolt!!??
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    5,147 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by loco90 View Post
    My Droid vibrates on an email. It's in the settings. I am still torn between the iPhone and the Thunderbolt!!??
    LOL. I feel back at home with the iPhone. I had the EVO for the last 5 months and the Thunderbolt is basically the same thing. It's a very good phone. I still just prefer iOS over Android right now. Between the build quality, battery life and ease of use of the iPhone it's hard to choose Android right now.... for me that is. Jailbreaking the iPhone gives so much more to the user where it counters the thought Android users think that the "open system" with rooting is actually superior to iOS. In my opinion, the only thing Android does better is notifications. I don't care about widgets. They do nothing but drain battery.

But at the end of the day, I'm not loyal to either company. I'll go with the one that I think is better and right now I gotta go with iOS.
    Thanked by:
    shipwrestler125 (02-08-2011)
    iPhone Pro

Global Posts
    1,358 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by loco90 View Post
    Yeah well it comes down to if you want to wait for who knows how long to actually get the phone as they keep saying it is being delayed and also you will have to wait until HTC puts out the update where as with apple once an update is available it is available for everyone. Also if you get the thunderbolt you most likely will need an extra battery and a possible higher charge for data on 4g.
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version
    iOS 5

Coming from a droid2, I love my iPhone way more. I don't miss the notifications. Or the widgets. I've adjusted very nicely.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    251 Global Posts

Go into Settings>Sounds and turn on all the alerts you want then adjust the volume to where you want it for New Mail Calendar Alerts. No flashing LED though. Make sure you have turned notifications on in Settings > Notifications.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cruiz1022 View Post
    when you get your iPhones, let me know how many times you end up trying to swipe done from the top to see your notifications lol
    Oh, I'm at about a hundred or so. LoL! I sure miss the notifications but I'm in LOVE with this phone!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    137 Global Posts

the only thing i miss is assigning different notification sounds to my different email accounts.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    5,147 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cevmkv View Post
    the only thing i miss is assigning different notification sounds to my different email accounts.
    Yeah I could see that especially if you relied heavily on the different sounds. I never like my phones to ring. They stay on vibrate. One of the cool things on Android was I could make the vibrate setting different depending on what it was. For instance, I had my text messages set for 1 long vibration and my emails for 3 short ones.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    236 Global Posts

The notification issue I have with the iPhone is I cant feel the vibrate when its in my pocket. Makes it basically useless, its very weak. Also, on Android you could have different volume levels for different things. Im a bit annoyed that when I have my ringtone turned up loud enough to hear (because I cant feel the vibrate) then the unlock noise and keyboard clicks are super loud too. I kinda like the noises so I dont want to turn them off, but they are rather loud, I wish there were separate volume controls.

Petty I know, but its something slightly irritating.

Global Posts
    4,586 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 8

If the notification system isn't improved in iOS 5 then I have no faith that it ever will be.
    But I'm happy that I finally get to use an iPhone with good service as opposed to what I
    had for 2 years.
    Formerly forever29
    iPhone 6
    iPhone 6 Plus
    iPad Mini with Retina
    iPhone Pro

Global Posts
    1,358 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alpha752 View Post
    The notification issue I have with the iPhone is I cant feel the vibrate when its in my pocket. Makes it basically useless, its very weak. Also, on Android you could have different volume levels for different things. Im a bit annoyed that when I have my ringtone turned up loud enough to hear (because I cant feel the vibrate) then the unlock noise and keyboard clicks are super loud too. I kinda like the noises so I dont want to turn them off, but they are rather loud, I wish there were separate volume controls.

Petty I know, but its something slightly irritating.
    Alot of android phones the vibrate was much weaker than on the iphone.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

Switched from the Droid 2 and got my phone yesterday. I do miss the notifications, but it is not a deal breaker. I also read there was an App that makes notifications more andriod-like but I havent gone looking for it. The facebook widget was nice for one-click status updates, but other than that did not use widgets much.

A native app which allows you to one-click dials or texts to a certain person would be good, the Droid had that. I found an app "You" which works okay, except you don't know who "You" is on your home screen.

Another Facebook note, in my Droid I could upload a photo to facebook/twitter/ect directly from the gallery. I don't see "share to facebook" as an option on the iPhone. I created a shortcut of my own however because now facebook allows you to upload pictures to your wall via email, which you can do via the iPhoto libarary. Anyone out there know if there is an app for that???

Other than that: HUGE PRO: TYPING! I couldnt send a single text message on my droid without a typo because of my fat fingers, and now I can send a text one-handed typo-free....YES! Isn't that the way its supposed to be?

I gotta say the hardware and the screen are beautiful, makes the Droid look like couple of tin cans slapped together!

I have been an Apple fan for life, so couldn't wait for this day....there is an adjustment period but I am verry happy so far!
    Thanked by:
    shipwrestler125 (02-08-2011)
    iPhone Pro

Global Posts
    1,358 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dizzo View Post
    Switched from the Droid 2 and got my phone yesterday. I do miss the notifications, but it is not a deal breaker. I also read there was an App that makes notifications more andriod-like but I havent gone looking for it. The facebook widget was nice for one-click status updates, but other than that did not use widgets much.

A native app which allows you to one-click dials or texts to a certain person would be good, the Droid had that. I found an app "You" which works okay, except you don't know who "You" is on your home screen.

Another Facebook note, in my Droid I could upload a photo to facebook/twitter/ect directly from the gallery. I don't see "share to facebook" as an option on the iPhone. I created a shortcut of my own however because now facebook allows you to upload pictures to your wall via email, which you can do via the iPhoto libarary. Anyone out there know if there is an app for that???

Other than that: HUGE PRO: TYPING! I couldnt send a single text message on my droid without a typo because of my fat fingers, and now I can send a text one-handed typo-free....YES! Isn't that the way its supposed to be?

I gotta say the hardware and the screen are beautiful, makes the Droid look like couple of tin cans slapped together!

I have been an Apple fan for life, so couldn't wait for this day....there is an adjustment period but I am verry happy so far!
    I agree the 3.5 inch screen somehow looks and feels much larger than my droids 3.7 inch and the keyboard is much easier to use and type accurately. The retina display is always amazing
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    125 Global Posts

I have been on Android now for over a year. I currently own an Evo since launch. I bought an Ipod Touch 4g and use it to see if I would prefer Iphone. My contract with Sprint is up and thinking of Iphone. Anyways one thing I would really miss on IOS is long touching items that bring up options. I love that feature. I really am having a hard time getting used to the small screen (I am far sighted and need reading glasses). I hope the Iphone 5 comes out with a bigger screen.

Things I would not probably miss on Android-
    I am actually bored of widgets. I set up my phone 6 months ago and dont change it. I like it the same so I can quickly get to it. I have tried to try different things but always end up back to original. I am sick of the battery never working the same from one day to the next. One day I may get 12-14 hours. Today I had it on the charger after a few hours and could not get much charge. Now I have to find out why. Little things.