Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    419 Global Posts

Default Face time Issue

I am trying to get face time to work

I have a ipod touch 4th and a iphone 4

I created the account on the ipod and I am able to make a connection between the devices in my living room on a wi fi connection but if I try to use the iphone out of range of the wifi it does not connect, it states wifi is needed

Please tell me that you can face time without a wifi connection on the iphone and use my celluar signal like if im driving and want to facetime to talk with my kids on the ipod at home where they would have wifi.

Thanks
    Last edited by cpc12; 02-07-2011 at 09:58 PM.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    227 Global Posts

Facetime only works over WiFi.

If you want to video chat over 3G, you need to use Skype.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,201 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Yes Anaphora is correct. Hopefully FaceTime on 3G will be a feature on iOS5
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    419 Global Posts

I should have done my homework, I bought a ipod so I could communicate with my kids while traveling.

Tell me.. does anyone else think that using it over wifi only is the stupidest thing, what good is that??

I installed Skype for now, if it does not go 3G what a failure it would be, how limited can something be.

Any tenative date for OS 5.0 ?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,201 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by cpc12 View Post
    I should have done my homework, I bought a ipod so I could communicate with my kids while traveling.

Tell me.. does anyone else think that using it over wifi only is the stupidest thing, what good is that??

I installed Skype for now, if it does not go 3G what a failure it would be, how limited can something be.

Any tenative date for OS 5.0 ?
    Yes in June. No guarantees it will be included in it though but it very well could
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    227 Global Posts

I think it's dumb to not let users have a choice, but I can see, from the carriers' perspective, why they would not want facetime over 3G. Video-chat is a resource hog, and I don't think anyone wants their cell-phone networks compromised anymore.

NYC has bad enough cell service when enough people are hitting cell towers, can you imagine the same number of people video-chatting?

With LTE, you might see it, because the data-pipes are much bigger.

I'm over-simplifying it, I'm sure, but that's it in a nut-shell.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

Or you can jailbreak and use Facebreak or My3g. (my preference) I have this on both mine and my wifes phone and it works great!
    iPhone Intermediate

Jailbreaking is definitely the answer. I've used FaceTime on Edge and I thought that was truely impressive!
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    940 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by wingsabr View Post
    Or you can jailbreak and use Facebreak or My3g. (my preference) I have this on both mine and my wifes phone and it works great!
    I hear this works great too.