activating an eBay bought iPhone

rustyjar79

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Hey all! been around these forums for a while, but finally about to have the best of both worlds with the iPhone on Verizon. to get to the point. I bought someone's upgrade on eBay. He has activated the iPhone, then activated his old phone and is sending it off to me. My question is, will I activate it like any other phone on Verizon, or does it only activate through iTunes, like my Wife's did. If anyone here has experience with this, please let me know so I am prepared. TIA

rustyjar79

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Well Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try itunes, then call Verizon. I know my way around phones as I have had a few. It just threw me a bit when I plugged in my Wife's today and it activated through itunes. I thought crap, when I get mine, it is gonna be someone else's upgrade. I think I am just over thinking. Thanks for all the replies. TiPB members are the best.

jnine1271

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
You will have to call Verizon to do the activation. I did two phones this way. Simply plugging it into itunes will give you an error message on the phone to call Customer Service to activate the phone...

Lanulos

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I just searched "verizon iphone 4" on eBay. What a scream! So many sellers who either don't have a clue what they are dealing with or are assuming their customers don't. Many of them say "unlocked" when they clearly haven't even been jailbroken. My favorite is the guy who is selling several shrink-wrapped VZ iphones: "BRAND NEW SEALED APPLE IPHONE 4 32GB CDMA PHONE - The phone can not be activated on verizon network. IT IS GOOD FOR POSSIBLE CDMA FLASHING." And he wants $599 for them! And he already sold one! Possibly he bought them from original puchasers not realizing the purchaser would need to activate them and deactivate in order to make them resellable, and maybe he can't find or persuade the original purchasers to do that now. Or, maybe they fell off the back of a truck. And anyone even heard of flashing an iPhone? What does he think this is, a Motorola? Link:

NEW APPLE IPHONE 4 32GB CDMA PHONE VERIZON BAD ESN - eBay (item 130495483583 end time Mar-15-11 15:59:33 PDT)

westcoast54

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I just searched "verizon iphone 4" on eBay. What a scream! So many sellers who either don't have a clue what they are dealing with or are assuming their customers don't. Many of them say "unlocked" when they clearly haven't even been jailbroken. My favorite is the guy who is selling several shrink-wrapped VZ iphones: "BRAND NEW SEALED APPLE IPHONE 4 32GB CDMA PHONE - The phone can not be activated on verizon network. IT IS GOOD FOR POSSIBLE CDMA FLASHING." And he wants $599 for them! And he already sold one! Possibly he bought them from original puchasers not realizing the purchaser would need to activate them and deactivate in order to make them resellable, and maybe he can't find or persuade the original purchasers to do that now. Or, maybe they fell off the back of a truck. And anyone even heard of flashing an iPhone? What does he think this is, a Motorola? Link:

I'm sorry, but you're just to goddamn stupid to insult. The iPhone can be flashed to another network without very little effort. Before you go on and start running down other people's listing, do a little research first.