Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

Default How do I delete email on the iPhone but not on the server?

If I want to delete emails on my iPhone to clear away some clutter, but want to keep it in my inbox on the actual server so that it isn't deleted permanently, is there a way to do that? I just switched over from a blackberry, and on that you were able to choose "Delete on mailbox and handheld" or just "Delete on Handheld". Is there something similar to this on the iPhone?
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZaZu View Post
    If I want to delete emails on my iPhone to clear away some clutter, but want to keep it in my inbox on the actual server so that it isn't deleted permanently, is there a way to do that? I just switched over from a blackberry, and on that you were able to choose "Delete on mailbox and handheld" or just "Delete on Handheld". Is there something similar to this on the iPhone?
    I may be wrong but, as far as I know, there is no way. With my Yahoo, Hotmail and work accounts, I created an additional folder called "Moved From iPhone" (obviously you can call it whatever you want) so I can move there anything I don't want to see in my phone's inbox. It's an additional step but it's the closest thing to do what I was able to do with my BB. Hope this helps.
    Thanked by:
    pr1nce (04-20-2013)
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

Depending on what mail service you use, you can go settings>mail,contacts,calendars>"email service name">account>advanced settings. From there you can define what delete on your iPhone does. The steps I just typed were from my gmail, it may be different for a different email service. Hope it helps.
    Thanked by:
    madisonjar (02-08-2011)
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I just checked "on my iPhone" to be deleted and left "On the server" nothing was checked. Hope that works. I just got mine the other day. Sorry for resurrecting a 4 month old post! lol
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    490 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZaZu View Post

IF you figure this out, please let me know. I also came from a blackberry to iPhone and was just at the Apple store and they cant figure it out for gmail.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

The only way I know of is to set the account up as a POP3 account and say DON'T delete from server. Then when you get an email, it's a COPY on your phone and not a view of the email on your server (IMAP, Exchange, etc).
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    iPhone Nanite

Default Delete email on the iPhone but not on the server

I, too, am a former Blackberry user. I found that with some type of e-mail accounts, when you deleted them on your phone they deleted on the server (not true with my Hotmail pop3 account). The only way I could figure out to keep my iPhone GroupWise in-box as clean as possible was to change the "Mail Days to Sync" to 1 Day (Settings - Mail - GroupWise - Mail Days to Sync)

Neil
    MGoBlue
    iPhone Nanite

Default Re: How do I delete email on the iPhone but not on the server?

can anyone help me?

Global Posts
    22,406 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by terryjaskins View Post
    can anyone help me?
    What 'specifically' are you seeking help with? If your question is the same as the title of this thread then your question was answered in post #6 above.
    iMore Nanite

I found it! I found it! It took me almost the whole day but when I realized I was inadvertently deleting important emails off my home computer which I needed to save for documentation I was desperate.

Here is the answer: it lies in deleting your Gmail account on your iPhone and reinstalling it using the "other" option. If you hit the Gmail option it automatically installs the default version IMAP which is the culprit and will delete your messages off the server once you delete them from your phone. Also be sure you have the option marked in your Gmail IMAP settings to "Auto-Expunge off - Wait for the client to update the server."

See full instructions here:
    https://support.google.com/mail/answer/72454
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by CathleenMiller View Post
    I found it! I found it! It took me almost the whole day but when I realized I was inadvertently deleting important emails off my home computer which I needed to save for documentation I was desperate.

Here is the answer: it lies in deleting your Gmail account on your iPhone and reinstalling it using the "other" option. If you hit the Gmail option it automatically installs the default version IMAP which is the culprit and will delete your messages off the server once you delete them from your phone. Also be sure you have the option marked in your Gmail IMAP settings to "Auto-Expunge off - Wait for the client to update the server."

It was also in post #6 of this very thread:

How do I delete email on the iPhone but not on the server?
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina

Global Posts
    22,406 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Okay, what about people who do not have gmail configured on their device? The OP didn't state what mail account he or she had back in 2011 when the thread was created?

Global Posts
    11,902 Global Posts
    iOS Version

On IMAP accounts, you can move things from the in box on the phone to an archive box on the phone... or, you can define an archive box on the server son you'll still have a copy on the server... lots of options in iOS7...
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    iMore Nanite

I wondered the same thing...loved that feature on the BB.
    On the 5s, From 'Settings', Select the 'Account' (mine is Comcast), at the bottom, select 'Advanced', under 'Incoming Settings', and 'Delete from Server', you can check NEVER, SEVEN DAYS, or WHEN REMOVED FROM INBOX.

'Hope this helps.
    iMore Nanite

I see no "Other" on my iphone5.
    iMore Nanite

I have no such thing as "Other" as described above. I'm using iOS 7 on Ipod Touch 5th gen.

what shall I do