How do I delete email on the iPhone but not on the server?

alexponential

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
If I want to delete emails on my iPhone to clear away some clutter, but want to keep it in my inbox on the actual server so that it isn't deleted permanently, is there a way to do that? I just switched over from a blackberry, and on that you were able to choose "Delete on mailbox and handheld" or just "Delete on Handheld". Is there something similar to this on the iPhone?

paco87

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
If I want to delete emails on my iPhone to clear away some clutter, but want to keep it in my inbox on the actual server so that it isn't deleted permanently, is there a way to do that? I just switched over from a blackberry, and on that you were able to choose "Delete on mailbox and handheld" or just "Delete on Handheld". Is there something similar to this on the iPhone?

I may be wrong but, as far as I know, there is no way. With my Yahoo, Hotmail and work accounts, I created an additional folder called "Moved From iPhone" (obviously you can call it whatever you want) so I can move there anything I don't want to see in my phone's inbox. It's an additional step but it's the closest thing to do what I was able to do with my BB. Hope this helps.

rustyjar79

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Depending on what mail service you use, you can go settings>mail,contacts,calendars>"email service name">account>advanced settings. From there you can define what delete on your iPhone does. The steps I just typed were from my gmail, it may be different for a different email service. Hope it helps.

Reactions: madisonjar

ubuntudroid

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
I just checked "on my iPhone" to be deleted and left "On the server" nothing was checked. Hope that works. I just got mine the other day. Sorry for resurrecting a 4 month old post! lol

conan1071

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

IF you figure this out, please let me know. I also came from a blackberry to iPhone and was just at the Apple store and they cant figure it out for gmail.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
The only way I know of is to set the account up as a POP3 account and say DON'T delete from server. Then when you get an email, it's a COPY on your phone and not a view of the email on your server (IMAP, Exchange, etc).

MGoBlue#IM

May 6, 2011
Visit site
Delete email on the iPhone but not on the server

I, too, am a former Blackberry user. I found that with some type of e-mail accounts, when you deleted them on your phone they deleted on the server (not true with my Hotmail pop3 account). The only way I could figure out to keep my iPhone GroupWise in-box as clean as possible was to change the "Mail Days to Sync" to 1 Day (Settings - Mail - GroupWise - Mail Days to Sync)

Neil
MGoBlue

CathleenMiller

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I found it! I found it! It took me almost the whole day but when I realized I was inadvertently deleting important emails off my home computer which I needed to save for documentation I was desperate.

Here is the answer: it lies in deleting your Gmail account on your iPhone and reinstalling it using the "other" option. If you hit the Gmail option it automatically installs the default version IMAP which is the culprit and will delete your messages off the server once you delete them from your phone. Also be sure you have the option marked in your Gmail IMAP settings to "Auto-Expunge off - Wait for the client to update the server."

See full instructions here:
https://support.google.com/mail/answer/72454

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I found it! I found it! It took me almost the whole day but when I realized I was inadvertently deleting important emails off my home computer which I needed to save for documentation I was desperate.

Here is the answer: it lies in deleting your Gmail account on your iPhone and reinstalling it using the "other" option. If you hit the Gmail option it automatically installs the default version IMAP which is the culprit and will delete your messages off the server once you delete them from your phone. Also be sure you have the option marked in your Gmail IMAP settings to "Auto-Expunge off - Wait for the client to update the server."

It was also in post #6 of this very thread:

http://forums.imore.com/iphone-4/205885-how-do-i-delete-email-iphone-but-not-server.html#post1730085

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Okay, what about people who do not have gmail configured on their device? The OP didn't state what mail account he or she had back in 2011 when the thread was created?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
On IMAP accounts, you can move things from the in box on the phone to an archive box on the phone... or, you can define an archive box on the server son you'll still have a copy on the server... lots of options in iOS7...

TracyGrubb

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I wondered the same thing...loved that feature on the BB.
On the 5s, From 'Settings', Select the 'Account' (mine is Comcast), at the bottom, select 'Advanced', under 'Incoming Settings', and 'Delete from Server', you can check NEVER, SEVEN DAYS, or WHEN REMOVED FROM INBOX.

'Hope this helps.

nico4d

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site

I have no such thing as "Other" as described above. I'm using iOS 7 on Ipod Touch 5th gen.

what shall I do

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
It can be done and is how my phone has always been set up. Find the right person at the apple store to do it for you.

Welcome to iMore! It depends on the mail service. Most support IMAP which means that whatever you do on your device will be reflected on the remote server. You'll need a POP3 email service that will allow you to leave the original email on the server after it's been downloaded.

Last edited:

Bramblegin

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
I have just discovered, to my horror, that all the emails I recently deleted from my iPhone have also gone from my email server, but it's never happened before this week. :crying: I would have to delete from each device (phone, tablet and computer) or delete from the server, which would then remove the emails from all 3 devices simultaneously. Do I have any way at all of retrieving the lost emails, some are incredibly vital? :mad:

Thank you

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73