Face Time Question

Kale58

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Yes you can. My better half and I do so, me on an iPhone 4, and she on an iPod Touch 4th Gen.

On the iPhone 4, make sure FaceTime is enabled.
On the iPod, you have to link FaceTime with an Apple Id - when you launch FaceTime on the iPod you'll be asked to log in with an Apple Id.

When dialing from the iPhone 4 to the iPod, select the email address identified as the FaceTime addy (there should be a FaceTime icon next to the address).

WHen dialing from the iPod to the iPhone, launch FaceTime and select the appropriate phone # (again there should be a FaceTime icon next to the enabled #).

Hope this helps.

P.S. - And don't forget, FaceTime only works under Wi-Fi...

Last edited:

cpc12

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
You mention that face time needs to be enabled. is there a setting for that or isn't it enabled by default?

Then on the iphone I save the email addy as a contact ? how does the facetime icon appear ? it just knows ?

I dont have my ipod touch yet I was just wondering , so I assume the itouch has a contact list ?

this will be easier to understand once I have the device.

Thanks for your help

Kale58

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
On the iPhone...

The FaceTime setting can be found in Settings --> Phone. It's an On/Off toggle. Set it to ON if you plan to use FaceTime on the device.

Contacts in your contacts address book that have a FaceTime enabled device will show which # or email address can be used (Launch Contact, Select the Contact Name, Select FaceTime to show a list of phone numbers and email addresses. Those that can be used will have the FaceTime icon next to it).

On the iPod...

There is a FaceTime app. The first time you launch it, you will be asked to login with an Apple ID. That address will be FaceTime enabled. If you have that address on your iPhone you'll see that FaceTime icon (automagically).

And yes... it will be much easier to understand once you have the device in hand.

Good luck & have fun.

David Allan

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
First you check if your FaceTime featured is enabled. Tap ?settings? on your new iPhone, scroll down to the green icon called ?Phone? and select it. Make sure it is turned on.

Second, when you call someone you will see an on screen FaceTime icon. You can tap it and if the recipient has an iPhone4 on Wi-Fi zone, he/she will get an invitation. If your call is accepted then after few seconds it?ll connect.