Butt dialing problem

Dollar Bill

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
My 3gs sometimes makes unintentional calls. Yesterday a friend overheard a conversation with my banker. He had details that absolutely convinced me this happened.

BTW this phone is not hacked or modified in any way.

The doubly frightening thing was that this call to him did NOT show up in my "Recents" list! There was no way I could have known it dialed him! Scares me to think about others that did not tell me!

Having had this problem before, I had contacted Apple support and they said to hold down the button on the upper right to put it in "Sleep" mode. I have been doing this regularly and am pretty sure I did it BEFORE going into the banker's office.

I can password protect, but the protection only enables after 60 seconds of non-use. Don't know about you, but I often begin talking to my wife after I hang up. Often about the previous conversation.

Sure could use some help! Maybe some kind of case that would cover the screen?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I have never had that problem and I've owned three generations of iPhone now, so it's definitely not a very common thing. I have had that problem in the past with dumber phones so what I usually do is to tap my mic and once I hear music I know the phone is hung up. I'm not sure if you use the headphones, so that might not work for you. You could put the phone into Airplane mode whenever you are having a convo you want to make absolutely sure no one can hear. This is where Jailbreak comes in handy because with SBSettings you can swipe once and put the phone in and out of Airplane mode. However just know that you wont get texts, emails or anything other than music when you're in this mode.

toomanyphones

Oct 14, 2008
Visit site
Make sure you end the call before hitting the sleep button. The call will still be connected if the other party didn't hang up. As for him not been in your resent callls, no idea.

Dollar Bill

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Paranormal Tinfoil?? :) ;) :) Haw Haw:rolleyes: :p :rolleyes:

I did call iPhone tech support(earlier) and the rep said he had had some problems also. It was from him that I got the phrase, "Butt Dialing." He suggested "Sleep Mode."

Check out Google and you will find a few posts about this problem.

Happens both on my 3gs and also my wife's 3gs. Possibly we have a common app that incites this behavior??

Have set it to Simple Passcode and we will see what happens.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Never had this happen and a call NOT show up in the recent calls list. Check your ATT online billing. It will show your calls and if you really called, as it will have to show up on the account. If you see it there AND it doesn't show in the recent calls AND you are on the latest iOS version, take the phone to Apple with your paperwork of proof.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
My 3gs sometimes makes unintentional calls. Yesterday a friend overheard a conversation with my banker. He had details that absolutely convinced me this happened.

BTW this phone is not hacked or modified in any way.

The doubly frightening thing was that this call to him did NOT show up in my "Recents" list! There was no way I could have known it dialed him! Scares me to think about others that did not tell me!

Having had this problem before, I had contacted Apple support and they said to hold down the button on the upper right to put it in "Sleep" mode. I have been doing this regularly and am pretty sure I did it BEFORE going into the banker's office.

I can password protect, but the protection only enables after 60 seconds of non-use. Don't know about you, but I often begin talking to my wife after I hang up. Often about the previous conversation.

Sure could use some help! Maybe some kind of case that would cover the screen?

I don't know man, you may have accidentially started the call before you locked the screen. I've had the iPhone since 2007 and have never had a single butt dial with any iPhones I've had.

But the call should be in your recent's list. Maybe something is wrong with it.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Butt dail is impossible with iPhone unless your iPhone was in direct contact with your butt skin and your butt has fingers or something.

bugmenot_1

Banned
Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Butt dail is impossible with iPhone unless your iPhone was in direct contact with your butt skin and your butt has fingers or something.

not true. if you sit on it the right (wrong?) way it will press the home button, activate voice control, and then make a phone call based on what it thinks it hears.

TROUT2054

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I had (had lol) an Otterbox case that would press and hold my home button on my iphone 4 which would activate the voice control. The voice control would select a contact in the list if it recognized anything being said around me in the background. I tried several options before I got rid of the case. That particular case had so much material over the home button that it pressed and held it with little effort.

tgcoakley

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I had the problem with iPhone 3gs 6.0 and restored it three times to no avail.

Thinking it was hardware related, and the advertising had me believe that buying an iPhone 5 would solve it-I did. Same problem. I lock the phone after I finish a call. I was loading things into my trunk when I heard someone say hello, Hello??. It was my Urologist. I had his number for emergencys. I had not called him in 6 months, but the phone decided to call him. I do not have any for of voice command activated. I restored it last night. And while it was on the counter this morning, our house phone rany. It was my iPhone 5 calling.

Please, iPhone company folks, don't waste time telling me this is all my fault. It is a problem.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Try taking it back to Apple for a replacement, cause there's no way that can happen unless there's a serious malfunction.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711