Please answer my dumb question

r3n3r4d3

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Hi all

I have an stupid question to ask.

My wife currently synced her iphone 4 to her laptop, and unfortunately it broke down, and I want to help her update her iphone 4 to the latest jailbreak and also sync it to my laptop

The stupid question is that when I sync it to my itunes on my laptop, will I lose absolutely all the data on her iphone 4? All data as in contacts, music, pictures, apps she got from apple store.

The biggest worry we have is her contact list as its pretty hella long.

Thanks for answering a stupid question :)

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
As far as I know she will lose all of her data if you sync the phone to your laptop. I'm sure that there is a way around this but I have never really looked into it.

andrewsmith

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
wish you could save your contacts to the sim. also if it's a big deal you could put her hard drive in your laptop and go from there. sure it's a ton of work but i'd rather switch out a hard drive than manually type in each contact.

rsd36

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Brother R. That is not a dumb question at all! What is dumb is this response telling you that isn't a dumb questions. Inquiring minds need to know the answer to this!

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
In order to help you we need a little more info here. Alot of the answers you got are assuming your wife uses a Mac. So was her computer a Mac? if not what were her contacts synced to Outlook, GMail, Yahoo, Windows Mail? If she was using a Mac and the contacts were synced with Address Book then as someone suggested and if the hard drive is still working can you take the hard drive out and swap it into your or another Mac? As long as both laptops are fundamentally the same hardware it will boot up no problem. Then the easiest thing to do is start up Address Book and go to File -> Export and export to an Address Book Archive saving the .abbu file to external media. Then you can remove the hard drive and import the contacts into your Address Book. If you want to keep them separate from your own contacts you might want to create a group to put her contacts into but again once you give more info we can help you further.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
as long as you put one contact into the contacts on the computer it will ask you to merge contacts but keep in mind that all contacts stored on the computer will go to the phone as well

Gep

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Isn't that just like syncing two different i devices(different users) on one computer. I know there's a way to do that. Let me see what I can find. It's like having two libraries in iTunes.

Gep

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
In windows you can do this:
Hold down the shift key( I think Mac is ctrl key) and click to open iTunes. Do not let go of the shift key until a window comes up asking " choose iTunes library". Then you go to create library. To change libraries between devices with different users to sync you will have to use this process each time except for clicking choose library. I'm not sure what this will do with your contacts, but I would assume if it's not the same library then it won't sync the same contacts. Maybe someone else in here knows more on that. Just my 2 cents.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner