If you can't be there to sign for it...?

luvesuga

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
From my understanding...FedEx is stating Indirect Signature - you can leave a note or have someone sign
UPS is requiring a Direct Signature - someone has to physically be available to sign or you can pick it up from the local hub.

ericsmcdonald

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
and i do realize the last part some people said that you cant do but there is some options for you...i might call my neighbor and ask if they will sign it for me.

I think, but am not sure, that you can get a door tag ahead of time, sign it, and leave it on your door along w/ the tracking number.

If you have a good relationship with your delivery person, you may get an extra favor out of him/her.

mededitor

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
false...it is stating on my tracker that it requires a INDIRECT signature...thats why i posted the indirect info up

False. It is stated on my UPS tracker that a DIRECT signature is required. That's why I posted my response regarding Direct vs Indirect.

Not everyone is getting the same details regarding their shipments. Right now, there is no universal "true" or "false."

gammaray1

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Call local FedEx or UPS.. give them your tracking number..tell them to hold at facility. Saves them fuel and time. Pick it up from there if not too far. Otherwise, no note will work. If ya got a trustworthy neighbor they will accept indirect sigs.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Saves them fuel and time.

Ummm they have to make deliveries whether they hold yours or not.

The thing is some places will hold them while other say they can't. There have been others who said they asked and fedex said no. While you have guys like Chris saying they did it with no problem. So who knows what their local fedex will do. Same thing with leaving your signature on a note. Some will leave it and some one. Doesn't hurt to try but don't be upset if they won't do it.

I'll just pick mine up after I get off work. I'll leave a note for them to take it to my neighbors house. But I'll be fine if they don't.

gammaray1

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Ummm they have to make deliveries whether they hold yours or not.

The thing is some places will hold them while other say they can't. There have been others who said they asked and fedex said no. While you have guys like Chris saying they did it with no problem. So who knows what their local fedex will do. Same thing with leaving your signature on a note. Some will leave it and some one. Doesn't hurt to try but don't be upset if they won't do it.

I'll just pick mine up after I get off work. I'll leave a note for them to take it to my neighbors house. But I'll be fine if they don't.

You are correct on FedEx.... I had forgotten that. FedEx must make one attempt. UPS not so. But, then again.....Its who ya know.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
You are correct on FedEx.... I had forgotten that. FedEx must make one attempt. UPS not so. But, then again.....Its who ya know.

Yeah I just wish they were more consistent. I'm pretty sure some people will be able to leave a note with signature while others won't. Not sure if that will be determined by the specific driver or the local fedex office. Either way it should be consistent.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Here's what the Fedex site says in the FAQ section

For packages not requiring a signature for release, our drivers will leave the package at a recipient's door, or other secure location, if the driver believes it is reasonable to do so. If your package was shipped with the Indirect Signature Release option, you may leave a signed and dated handwritten note on the door instructing the driver to leave the package at your door.

When the driver is unable to leave your package, they will leave a door tag on your door, informing you of the delivery attempt. The door tag contains information that may offer you the option to sign the door tag and have the driver leave your package in a secure location on the next delivery attempt, typically the next business day.

If signing the door dag is not possible because the shipper has requested an in-person, direct signature, you may request your package be held for pickup at your nearby FedEx Office location. For FedEx Express? packages, you may also request the package be held at the delivery station.

Now let's see if they will all be consistent.

Reactions: runnergrl23

runnergrl23

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Here's what the Fedex site says in the FAQ section

For packages not requiring a signature for release, our drivers will leave the package at a recipient's door, or other secure location, if the driver believes it is reasonable to do so. If your package was shipped with the Indirect Signature Release option, you may leave a signed and dated handwritten note on the door instructing the driver to leave the package at your door.

When the driver is unable to leave your package, they will leave a door tag on your door, informing you of the delivery attempt. The door tag contains information that may offer you the option to sign the door tag and have the driver leave your package in a secure location on the next delivery attempt, typically the next business day.

If signing the door dag is not possible because the shipper has requested an in-person, direct signature, you may request your package be held for pickup at your nearby FedEx Office location. For FedEx Express? packages, you may also request the package be held at the delivery station.

Now let's see if they will all be consistent.

Oh good to know! Thanks!

kmc979

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
if it actually comes monday i will be at work until 7pm and not home until 8pm. however my mother will get the attempted delivery tag for me and go pick up my iphone from fed ex for me that evening. i told her if she doesn't she is being kicked out of the house! same goes for if it's not delivered until the 10th.