Conflicted

pogeypre

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
So, getting out of my Sprint contract requires a 150.00 disconnect fee (prorated), and then the iPhone costs 299. Want to replace my broken iPod touch with an iPhone.....

Conflicted. Anyone care to push me one way or the other?

ericsmcdonald

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
So, getting out of my Sprint contract requires a 150.00 disconnect fee (prorated), and then the iPhone costs 299. Want to replace my broken iPod touch with an iPhone.....

Conflicted. Anyone care to push me one way or the other?

I think that's a giant no-brainer. I'd end Sprint in a heart-beat. (But I love my Verizon service :))

pogeypre

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I guess the problem is the price difference on contract pluss the cost of the phone and the disconnect fee.

My guess is I would be happy, albeit a little light in the wallet.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
What device are you currently using on Sprint? Anything worth some money to go towards the ETF? As long as you keep making some payments on the ETF it won't mess with you credit. So if you can, switch over and then try to pay 50 bucks over 3 months.

Reactions: pogeypre

pogeypre

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
That's a good point. I didn't think about that. I have the EVO right now, but it is under 30 days (at least until Feb 12th)....... ponderous....

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
That's a good point. I didn't think about that. I have the EVO right now, but it is under 30 days (at least until Feb 12th)....... ponderous....

Well I got 350 a piece for 2 EVOs. So you should be able to easily cover the ETF and then add the residual to the iPhone purchase.

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site

so you only have had the EVO for a few weeks? Return it if you can.

captriker

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
If you had the EVO for less than 30 days that assumes you reupped your contract recently right?

If so, couldn't you just return the Evo and go back to no contract status?

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
If you had the EVO for less than 30 days that assumes you reupped your contract recently right?

If so, couldn't you just return the Evo and go back to no contract status?

I thought about that too but how would their ETF fee only be $150 if they just upgraded? Sprint ETF fees start at 200 and then work down. So either the OP has the ETF amount incorrect or didn't get the EVO via upgrade. I'm confused. :confused:

pogeypre

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I got the EVO for full price, but had it billed to my account, so it won't do me much good as ETF leverage. The interesting thought was not having to pay the ETF right away.

What's the cheapest way to get an iPhone on Verizon? The plan, not the phone.

Last edited:

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I got the EVO for full price, but had it billed to my account, so it won't do me much good as ETF leverage. The interesting thought was not having to pay the ETF right away.

Well then the answer is quite simple. Take the EVO back and if they credit your account for the full retail price, wouldn't that cover your ETF and they should owe you some money on top. Just take the phone back and port to VZW. Case closed. ;)

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I am getting closer... anyone on the cost of the service for an iPhone on Verizon?

To be honest, VZW cost is higher than Sprint. Sprint you get more value because stuff like Sprint tv and Sprint GPS, unlimited mobile minutes to any mobile + 1500 to landlines, free US roaming and early nights are already included. To get comparable features on VZW you would pay a significant amount more. That's just the truth. But at the end of the day you have to decide what is priority. Whether that be having the device you want and paying a little more or having a device you really don't want and paying less.

For instance here is VZW with the cheapest calling plan

450 anytime
Unlimited nights and weekends
Unlimited texts
Unlimited data

59.99+29.99. So after taxes you a little over 100 bucks. And remember this is without all the extras you get with sprint listed above.

With Sprint you can get the exact same thing for 69.99 + tax.

pogeypre

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I went to Sprint to save money and ended up spending more than I was with Verizon, but that was before my wife decided she liked smartphones. :)

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I would NEVER do the payments on the ETF. It might not affect your credit, but that's not a chance I would take. I know it sucks, but honestly, if you can't afford it right now, you should probably wait until you can.

pogeypre

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah state tax refund came in... to iPhone or not to iPhone... that is the question. $$$ are only important in that I don't want to spend the whole refund switching carriers.

I guess there is something to be said about waiting. Especially if the iPhone 5 (or whatever) is launched in June.

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I think that's a giant no-brainer. I'd end Sprint in a heart-beat. (But I love my Verizon service :))

Yeah state tax refund came in... to iPhone or not to iPhone... that is the question. $$$ are only important in that I don't want to spend the whole refund switching carriers.

I guess there is something to be said about waiting. Especially if the iPhone 5 (or whatever) is launched in June.

Yeah, that's definitely something to think about it. If I had to choose between an iPhone 4 now or an iPhone 5 (or iPhone 4S, as I think it will be), I'd wait for the iPhone 5.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73