iPhone 4 or HTC Thunderbolt?

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I am torn between these two devices and simply can't decide. What really draws me to the iPhone 4 is that gorgeous retina display and from what I've heard the apple app store outnumbers the quality apps on android at least ten fold. What really draws me to the HTC thunderbolt is the superior tech specs, 4g and the skype integration.
What are your thoughts? I really don't mean to troll, I realize this is an iphone 4 forum, but I'd just like some second opinions.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
If you don't have 4G coverage where you spend most of your time, it's not worth getting a 4G phone yet.

thinkTwice

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I am torn between these two devices and simply can't decide. What really draws me to the iPhone 4 is that gorgeous retina display and from what I've heard the apple app store outnumbers the quality apps on android at least ten fold. What really draws me to the HTC thunderbolt is the superior tech specs, 4g and the skype integration.
What are your thoughts? I really don't mean to troll, I realize this is an iphone 4 forum, but I'd just like some second opinions.

I second the 4G coverage comment.

But really, it's kind of unfair to compare the Thunderbolt to the iPhone 4. The iPhone 5 should really be compared to the Thunderbolt. As far as I'm concerned, the iPhone 4 is dead with the iPhone 5 around the corner.

I have a droid now. The apps aren't as good, the OS is better in terms of features. Google apps rock. What makes Android a bit annoying is that when a new update comes out, it's a guessing game as to when you will get it- unless you root your phone. Also, that big screen is amazing, but it will be bulky, so that's another thing to consider.

I'd wait for the other 4G Android phones, they all looked good to me and pick out the best one from there.

I remember hearing some things about the Droid Incredible by HTC having battery problems, it would just drain the battery. So I wonder what this will be like; I would check up on the HTC EVO and see what people have to say about that phone.

Personally, I would avoid any 4G phone myself, even though I am in a 4G city. It's not fully deployed and I get to pay more? No. Just no.

WyckedAnkh

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Also, do you want to have the bloatware Verizon will put on the Thunderbolt? There will be nothing like that on the iPhone which makes me all the more happier to be getting it. I hate it when the carriers push crap onto your phone.

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
agree it all depends on whether you are in a 4g area and are ok with possibly paying more for data. Next is if you want more of a closed os(IOS) or open os with a lot of fragmentation. Both are good phones it all depends what you want from a phone. You wont be disappointed with either I'm sure. Do you want a bigger phone with a bigger screen(HTC) or do you want a higher resolution(iphone) things like that

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Damule6666, I have the Fascinate and owned the original droid. Rooting and de-bloating isn't as easy as you make it sound. Because I debloated my fascinate i'm having trouble getting the OTA updates. I would much rather just not have it there originally.
I do live in a city that has 4G, so that would be nice. I don't really want to pay a premium for it though.
Also I am comparing the iPhone 4 and the HTC thunderbolt, because I don't want a phone in 6months, I'm getting one now, therefore iPhone 5 won't be in this comparison.
Thanks for the thoughts. I'm thinking about getting the iPhone 4 but then if I dislike it, return it and get the Tbolt.

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Damule6666, I have the Fascinate and owned the original droid. Rooting and de-bloating isn't as easy as you make it sound. Because I debloated my fascinate i'm having trouble getting the OTA updates. I would much rather just not have it there originally.
I do live in a city that has 4G, so that would be nice. I don't really want to pay a premium for it though.
Also I am comparing the iPhone 4 and the HTC thunderbolt, because I don't want a phone in 6months, I'm getting one now, therefore iPhone 5 won't be in this comparison.
Thanks for the thoughts. I'm thinking about getting the iPhone 4 but then if I dislike it, return it and get the Tbolt.

Yeah root isnt for everyone not to mention you have to return to stock to get OTA updates which most of the time you have to get because the dev community hasnt come up with anything from leaks or what not although the dev community does a good job. Not to mention nobody knows if the iphone 5 will come to verizon in july and even if it does it may only be minimal changes

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The thunderbolt beats the iPhone in terms of specs. Yes, the android market is lacking some great apps found on the iPhone, but you really need to look at it this way. If your looking to download a bunch of apps, what kind of apps are YOU looking for. While the Apple App store has a lot more then android, can you find what your looking for on both platforms?

Google just announced a web store for their market so you can pretty much do a compassion with out the need for an android phone.

Home - Android Market

As someone else said. The iPhone 5 may be more comparable to the thunderbolt, though for all we know the iPhone 5 may just be another mediocre update.

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The thunderbolt beats the iPhone in terms of specs. Yes, the android market is lacking some great apps found on the iPhone, but you really need to look at it this way. If your looking to download a bunch of apps, what kind of apps are YOU looking for. While the Apple App store has a lot more then android, can you find what your looking for on both platforms?

Google just announced a web store for their market so you can pretty much do a compassion with out the need for an android phone.

Home - Android Market

As someone else said. The iPhone 5 may be more comparable to the thunderbolt, though for all we know the iPhone 5 may just be another mediocre update.

And what exact specs are these? has a larger screen? not everyone wants to carry around a brick in their pockets I had the droid x and i hated putting that thing in a pocket because it just wasnt comfortable in my normal jeans or work pants(and no i dont wear skinny jeans) also the iphone has a higher resolution screen. Processor is pretty similar it all depends on what each person is looking for

Bradford

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
For me, it basically comes down to the simple fact that I dont wanna pay another $10/month for 4g when the coverage is rather mediocre at this point....esp in my area.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it has. I think the kid is looking at sprint and thinking Verizon will do the same thing.

And what exact specs are these? has a larger screen? not everyone wants to carry around a brick in their pockets I had the droid x and i hated putting that thing in a pocket because it just wasnt comfortable in my normal jeans or work pants(and no i dont wear skinny jeans) also the iphone has a higher resolution screen. Processor is pretty similar it all depends on what each person is looking for

LOL. I think you need to research. Its a lot more then just a large screen

HTC ThunderBolt specs - Phone Arena

Theres more to a phone then a screen resolution. I know I don't want to hurt my eyes, so I don't stare at my screen all day.

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it has. I think the kid is looking at sprint and thinking Verizon will do the same thing.

LOL. I think you need to research. Its a lot more then just a large screen

HTC ThunderBolt specs - Phone Arena

Theres more to a phone then a screen resolution. I know I don't want to hurt my eyes, so I don't stare at my screen all day.

I know the specs but I am just saying what other than the larger screen and LTE make it so much better???

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I know the specs but I am just saying what other than the larger screen and LTE make it so much better???

Well if you have 4G in your area and you are not one of those who say "I 'm near wifi all the time" (since that wifi is not always free or public) you may want to take advantage of it. Now 4G is not everywhere so yes, I can see not wanting to pay for something if your not getting it.

I guess the real the question is, do you want an all glass product with a shinny Apple logo, or a simi glass and plastic phone with a HTC logo because in the end they do the same thing. Make phone calls and get on the internet.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The Thunderbolt is nothing but an EVO for VZW. I got rid of my EVO and switched to VZW but even with all the specs it's just not better than the iPhone. Don't get me wrong it's a good device but Android still isn't polished enough right now. But at the end of the day, get the device that fits your needs not what everyone else thinks.

Jon Seals

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I had this exact same problem, it was mainly the difference between the OS (iOS or Android) but then I thought, "If Android is constantly getting newer (better phones) every month or so, and the manufacturers stop caring about their phones they released less than 6 months ago, I wouldn't want to have to be envious of a better phone every month and accept the fact that nobody cares about my phone anymore (very very meaningful thought as I am coming from a Blackberry 9530 which was a flagship phone, that VZW and RIM left in the dust a few months later), Apple only has a new phone every year and still continues to support the older devices just as much as the new."
So unless you crap gold bricks and can buy a new Android device every month, or if you want to be jealous of the newer better phones and OS's, Android might be your thing, but if you want a product that you know will last you at least 2 years still being as great as it was when you bought it, iPhone is the way to go.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I think the main thing is people buy iPhones for a number of reasons:

• Because the "cool kids" buy it.
  • They want a shinny Apple logo
  • They want something simple (nothing wrong with that)
  • They go by what strangers tell them on the internet (really?)
Another thing is it seems people think once Apple comes out with a new iPhone you have to go out and get one. That is not always the case. How many of you 3G owners went out and bought the 3GS? All you got was a speed bump and I think video recording. Not much difference. I have a felling the iPhone 5 may be another mediocre update, just like the 3GS, but we'll see.

Yes, there are a lot of android phones. Some good, some bad, but its all about choice, there are some who text a lot or do a lot of e-mail on the phone and want a physical keyboard. You can't just tell them "use a computer", because technically they could say the same thing for you when you use your iphone. Plus I think if someone had to choose between a blackberry and a android phone with a keyboard, I think they will choose android.

I own an EVO, but the shift came out just last month. Did that mean I have to go run out and buy the shift? Does it mean i have to go out and buy another one of these new phones that came out of CES? No. The EVO works fine for me, just like the iPhone works fine for you. Yes, I still like the iPhone, but I'm already in a 2 year contract and Sprint is great in my area. If the iPhone ever came to sprint, then I may consider. (see, there IS a reason why I'm here)

The whole thing about older devices with android can also be said about older iPhones. the main issue is the custom skin that each manufacturers place on the phones, because lets face it. Stock android is not pretty. Samsug is the worst at that.

The bottom line is, just choose the phone that fits YOUR needs. Yes, the iPhone is nice and cool and everyone is using it, but does it fit your needs? Are the data and calling plans in your budget?

Its like with my grandparents. Right now they use a samsung slider with the typical "dumb phone" OS. They get a senior discount with T mobile and only pay around $28 a month. That right there works for them. They don't need a $300 cell phone with a bunch of stuff they won't use. (plus I have a felling they will stab the phone with theirt fingers since touch screens are not that familer to them)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2