16 or 32gb?

sudbury78

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to apple products and will be preordering an iPhone at retail price (hopefully) at 1am az time. I am unclear with the difference in gb with this phone. Does the amount of apps eat up the gigs or would it be video and music like an iPod or iPad? Apologize for the ignorant question. Thanks guys and gals. It's coming.....

lcargile

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I absolutely recommend the 32gb version. I currently have a 32gb iPod touch (and will be giving it to the misses as soon as my ViP arrives) and am really glad that I didn't just settle for the 16gb. When you get your iPhone you are going to want to throw every stupid song you have ever liked on it. Your going to stuff movies on there for the long drives/flights that we all experience, and you are going to beat the brakes off of the App Store whether you think so or not and apps do take up a lot of space if you keep all the ones that you download. Plus, think about it this way; if you get the 32gb version you wont have to constantly police your memory to make sure that you have enough on there for something. You can put however much of whatever you want and just do a regular clean up every now and then by deleting the junk you dont use as often as you thought you would. Its definitely worth it on the back end in my opinion. Hope that helps.

DoctorK

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Plus, if you're going to be shooting video you'll want 2-4GB free for that. With a 16GB phone I think you'd be spending a lot of time "policing" as cargile said.

lcargile

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, unfortunately the 16gb iPhone (for me now, not everyone) is like the "fun size" snickers bar...its just enough to piss you off. If its not going to break the bank then your money is well invested in the 32gb version. Plus, you will have a lot better resale value if you ever decide to sell it.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
It all depends on the user. 16GB is sufficient for most people. And there are others that need more. Keep in mind that the amount of space free on a 16GB device is really like 14.1 GB. My wife always had the 16GB and she never comes close to filling the entire capacity. While I need the extra space because of all the media I load on the device. With my iPhone 4 on AT&T after I loaded all my media and apps I was around 22GB. I would say I don't need exactly 32GB but I do need more than 16GB. And with the HD recording you will use more space as well. So it really depends but you cannot go wrong with the 32GB for the extra space and higher resale value when you're ready to get your next iPhone.

Reactions: AdamC#IM

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I have 32GB and its full. I wish Apple made a 64GB. Dont ever tell anybody they wont use 32GB's

DougFNJ

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I have 32GB and its full. I wish Apple made a 64GB. Dont ever tell anybody they wont use 32GB's

I echo that. My 64gb Touch has 7gb free, I would be in heaven if they released it in 64. As it stands now I will have to have iTunes downgrade to 128 kbps aac and will still only be able to store 3/4 of my collection on it with a couple videos. I like to keep at least 5gbs free.

In answer to your question, apps do not tale up nearly the amount of space as music and videos. However, I always go with the higher amount of memory available in anticipation of needing it.

When I got my iPad, I debated in my mind on 32 vs 64 and am glad I went with the 64......those HD iPad apps take up a lot of room.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I echo that. My 64gb Touch has 7gb free, I would be in heaven if they released it in 64. As it stands now I will have to have iTunes downgrade to 128 kbps aac and will still only be able to store 3/4 of my collection on it with a couple videos. I like to keep at least 5gbs free.

In answer to your question, apps do not tale up nearly the amount of space as music and videos. However, I always go with the higher amount of memory available in anticipation of needing it.

When I got my iPad, I debated in my mind on 32 vs 64 and am glad I went with the 64......those HD iPad apps take up a lot of room.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Yes I have apps that are over 1GB alone on iPhone and iPad. Many over 500MB's

AdamC#IM

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks all for the discussion. I had been wondering if I should get 16 or 32 GB also.

I have an iPod Classic with ~90 GB of popular and classical music that will remain my main music player. The iPhone will get loaded with a smallish revolving array of music playlists and then the rare movie if I'm travelling. And I'm pretty good about backing up photos and videos so I'm not worried about them filling up the iPhone either. Contacts/notes/data/info take up a relatively small amount of room. That leaves plenty of room for the apps I will use and enjoy.

So for me it's a 16 GB iPhone 4, using my new-every-two discount. Then spend some money on a nice case.

-Adam

clipperschic

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to apple products and will be preordering an iPhone at retail price (hopefully) at 1am az time. I am unclear with the difference in gb with this phone. Does the amount of apps eat up the gigs or would it be video and music like an iPod or iPad? Apologize for the ignorant question. Thanks guys and gals. It's coming.....

I have a 32gb IPad and I have used about 15gb containing 406 songs, 21 videos, 5737 photos and 77 apps...so the 16gb Iphone is more than enough for me because what I don't want on my phone Ican just leave on my Ipad such as movies and several games for long trips....If you have more information you want to store on your phone then go for the 32gb but if youre like me,the 16gb will suit you fine....

godspeeded

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I decided to spend my money on an iPhone as opposed to an iPod Classic...so I purchased the 32gb model so that I can cram as much music onto it as possible and still have room for apps. :)

Uplink

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I have the 64 GB iTouch almost filled with music and apps. I got the 32 GB iPhone so I can put my favorite music, and have apps like the GPS, and several others which take up quite a bit of space. plus, recording video needs space too. I will be stuck with this iPhone (willingly of course :)) for 2 years and a few months until I can get the iPhone 7. I am pretty sure I will find ways to fill up the space.

tcoche

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
32gb for me..I have 20gb in Itunes alone. I'll be using the heck out of the Ipod. I recently purchased a Pioneer Stereo for the Jeep and it has the USB port...:cool:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2