Confusion everywhere ... just be prepared

ericsmcdonald

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
So I figured I'd e-mail Verizon to get some official answers. I also figured I'd ask sales via webchat similar questions. The answer is ... be like the boy scouts. If you must have a pre-order and you don't currently have an upgrade available on your account, open a new line month-to-month so you won't be disappointed.

E-mail:

Mine to them: Hi, I have a few questions about the iPhone pre-order process as there seems to be a lot of confusion about the process.
1) The line ending in xxxx on my account is currently available for an upgrade. Will I be able to use that upgrade on the line ending in yyyy to pre-order the phone? If I cannot transfer the upgrade, can I pre-order the phone, activate it on xxxx, then do an ESN swap on my Verizon?
2) Do I have to have a line eligible for upgrade in order to participate in the pre-order on 2/3?
3) If (well, really when) I pre-order on 2/3, when will the phone ship?
Thanks so much for your help!

Response:Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless through our website. My name is ::changed to protect rep:: and I would like to thank you for contacting us regarding signing up to get the iPhone 4 early. Firstly, I would like to apologize for the delay in responding to your inquiry. We are working diligently to address your concerns in a timely manner, and we appreciate your patience. I apologize for any confusion in regards to the pre-order process. It would be my pleasure to assist you in your inquiry.
Eric, you will be able to pre-order the iPhone 4 at 3:00AM EST on February 3, 2011. You will need to visit the following website to order:
iPhone 4. Verizon. It begins.
Only mobile numbers that are eligible to upgrade can pre-order the iPhone 4. Currently, the mobile number ending in xxxx is the only mobile number eligible to upgrade. Therefore, this mobile number is the only mobile number that can pre-order the iPhone 4. If you would like to obtain the iPhone 4 for a different mobile number on the account; please pre-order using the mobile number ending in xxxx and then complete an ESN change after receiving the phone.
Due to the high demand for this device, the availability of the device cannot be guaranteed for any specific amount of time. Orders will be processed on a first come, first serve basis. Shipments for orders placed on February 3, 2011 will begin on February 10, 2011, however; depending on the amount of orders received, the actual shipment date could be later.
I hope this information on the iPhone 4 pre-order has been helpful. Please feel free to use the link provided to pre-order the iPhone 4 and use the mobile number ending in xxxx. Please let us know if we can be of any other assistance.

Now webchat transcript:
RepX: Hello. Thank you for visiting our chat service. May I help you with your order today?
Eric: I came to find some answers to the iPhone 4 pre-order
RepX: It would be my pleasure to assist you in the iPhone 4 pre-order today.
Eric: OK
Eric: I have 4 lines on my account
Eric: only one is eligible for an upgrade
Eric: Can I transfer that upgrade to another line?
RepX: What you will do is on 02/03, come back online and upgrade the line that is eligible to upgrade and the device will not ship until the phone is actually released which is 02/10 and you will receive the device the following business day on 02/11. Once you receive the phone you will be able to activate the device on the line that you would like it on. Also, you will not be charged for the phone until the device ships to you.
Eric: OK great thank you for the answer!!
Eric: Also
RepX: I'm glad I was able to answer all your questions and concerns today, was there anything else that I can assist you with at this time?
Eric: if I wanted another one for a different line, can I pre-order at full retail?
RepX: Yes, you are able to order at Full Retail price if you would like.
Eric: during the pre-order?
RepX: Yes
Eric: OK thank you I really appreciate it!!

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
UGH!!! After a day worth yesterday of VZWSupport on Twitter telling several people that "You will be able to preorder at full retail on 2/3" and ship to be received on 2/10 - now you get this.

I think big red is doing this on purpose! :D

The biggest thing that confuses me is the not shipping until 2/10. Makes little sense. If that is indeed the case I will just go wait at my local store (about 3 minutes away) for 7AM.

Andre G

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I Find it crazy how you will receive it the day after the launch what is the reason for this? why should us Verizon customers have to wait a day after launch to receive the phone when all the non Verizon customers get to have it on launch.. to me honestly nothing makes any sense anymore

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
First you can never trust the virtual reps I had one tell me a phone would be 100+ cheaper full retail than it actually would be. It clearly says on the verizon FAQ you can preorder at full retail Verizon is probably doing this on purpose to try and keep some people from bogging down their site not to mention all the people who keep sending the same emails asking the same questions I mean what do you expect when there have been multiple people on this forum alone who have sent the same question. damn people just relax you will find out in a few days what is actually happening

Andre G

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
First you can never trust the virtual reps I had one tell me a phone would be 100+ cheaper full retail than it actually would be. It clearly says on the verizon FAQ you can preorder at full retail Verizon is probably doing this on purpose to try and keep some people from bogging down their site not to mention all the people who keep sending the same emails asking the same questions I mean what do you expect when there have been multiple people on this forum alone who have sent the same question. damn people just relax you will find out in a few days what is actually happening

:rolleyes: smh

ddnichols7

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Sounds Like my other post was right.....Not getting the phone till on or after the 10th even if you preorder.....and only a limited supply of phone for preorder, and you cant preorder unless you are ready for upgrade............

ericsmcdonald

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
UGH!!! After a day worth yesterday of VZWSupport on Twitter telling several people that "You will be able to preorder at full retail on 2/3" and ship to be received on 2/10 - now you get this.

The more I think about it, the more I think they are not being clear about the FRP. Can you upgrade at FRP? Yes, IF you have an eligible upgrade. Again, this is all my interpretation, but you will need a line eligible for upgrade in order to participate in the pre-order. When you go through the pre-order, you can choose either a 2-year contract price or FRP.

Yes, very frustrating and confusing. I guess we'll all see what happens on Thursday in the AM!

Andre G

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The more I think about it, the more I think they are not being clear about the FRP. Can you upgrade at FRP? Yes, IF you have an eligible upgrade. Again, this is all my interpretation, but you will need a line eligible for upgrade in order to participate in the pre-order. When you go through the pre-order, you can choose either a 2-year contract price or FRP.

Yes, very frustrating and confusing. I guess we'll all see what happens on Thursday in the AM!

honestly Eric(if that's your name) that's all i want to know and i cant get answers to it... adding a line on da 3rd would all that be possible? will i be able to pay promotional price? questions like that is what im trying to figure out

ericsmcdonald

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site

OK first of all the FAQ is not for the pre-order, the FAQ is for iPhone ordering in general. They have (what seems intentionally) omitted any sort of information regarding the pre-order.

And while it may be easy for you to say relax, some of us have been waiting for this day since the iPhone first came out and we've been riding the rumor wave every year! So we're excited and want to know when we're getting our iPhone and how it will work! We just want to make sure all of our lines are in order for Thursday morning!

And finally, maybe Verizon should learn something from this ... with the multiple e-mails they're receiving, perhaps throw up a pre-order FAQ.

ericsmcdonald

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
honestly Eric(if that's your name) that's all i want to know and i cant get answers to it... adding a line on da 3rd would all that be possible? will i be able to pay promotional price? questions like that is what im trying to figure out

Andre (if that's your name :)) my interpretation is that adding a line on the third is NOT possible during the pre-order process. There are threads up on how to add a line now and make it ready for upgrade.

ericsmcdonald

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
The biggest thing that confuses me is the not shipping until 2/10. Makes little sense. If that is indeed the case I will just go wait at my local store (about 3 minutes away) for 7AM.

Now on the FAQ (iPhone 4. Verizon. It Begins.), under "Purchase", question 6:

6. If I pre-order iPhone 4, when will I receive it?

iPhone 4 orders will arrive on or before February 10, 2011.

Reactions: iSRS

coltsbr

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
No one is going to to know the answer to this question for sure till Feb 3rd @ 3am est. It's sad to say but that seems to be what's going to happen. I'm still standing by what my friend told me in her training yesterday of we will be able to pre order at full retail. It makes no sence in the world for Big Red to turn many many many order's of six and seven hundred dollars away at first to only take orders from a few customers.

ericsmcdonald

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm still standing by what my friend told me in her training yesterday of we will be able to pre order at full retail. It makes no sence in the world for Big Red to turn many many many order's of six and seven hundred dollars away at first to only take orders from a few customers.

Yes, however there's a difference between ANY line can pre-order at full retail or ONLY lines with an eligible upgrade can pre-order at full retail.

And, Verizon makes money on the service not the devices. I'm sure they get a cut, but I'd guess it's peanuts compared to what Apple gets per sale.

coltsbr

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Yes, however there's a difference between ANY line can pre-order at full retail or ONLY lines with an eligible upgrade can pre-order at full retail.And, Verizon makes money on the service not the devices. I'm sure they get a cut, but I'd guess it's peanuts compared to what Apple gets per sale.

Why would anyone in their right mind that was eligible for an upgrade pre order at full retail????? That makes no sence. Only customers that were not eligible would order a new device at full retail.

Reactions: shipwrestler125

Andre G

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Andre (if that's your name :)) my interpretation is that adding a line on the third is NOT possible during the pre-order process. There are threads up on how to add a line now and make it ready for upgrade.

Yeah thats my name ;).. but really see the problem i have is that im hearing so much different things from people so its just confusing me... but if i cant do that i will just pre-order at full retail for my other line

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site

While I inherently agree with you? I have emailed about this, called, and been told every time that yes, Full retail can pre-order. Then, when someone else gets the opposite information, it is my nature to be prepared and confirm. Could I sit back and relax and wait until Thursday morning? Sure. And if it was at 7 AM Eastern, or 10 AM Eastern, no big deal. The problem is, it is at 3 AM Eastern. I would rather know, as I am sure that many others in the same boat would, if we should be waiting up or not. Even if it was midnight Eastern, there wouldn't be the same sense of urgency. The fact that it is 3 AM I think is leading to the urgency.

Reactions: DougFNJ