- iPhone Beginner
- 50 Posts
To upgrade or not
Sooo, back in November we added a third line to our account. I took advantage of the opportunity to buy a discounted 3GS at that time to try out my first iPhone (long time bb user). Anyway, now MY line will be upgrade eligible in mid Feb. My wife, still using a bold 9000, states that she would be happy to use my 3GS if I move to the 4. Although this sounds great, still not sure if I should do that or wait til the summer to see what's released.
My wifes line will be eligible in July so in theory I could do the shuffle again at that time if I feel I need to keep up lol. That is, until she gets tired of hand me down iPhones.
What do you guys/gals think?
- 02-01-2011, 06:45 AM #2
Hey that sounds like my household (me on 3gs and wife on 9000!).
Definitely sounds like you've got some good options for upgrading. In theory, if the next iPhone that's released is so awesome that your wife "has to have it", you could sell the 3gs to help cover the upgrade fees. Keep in mind the 4 is definitely no slouch, I bet she'd be happy with it if you upgraded this summer.
Personally I'm leaning toward upgrading both of us to the 4 in a couple of weeks...I'm waiting to hear from my ATT rep what they are going to be doing with the "4g" data as far as plans.
- 02-01-2011, 08:24 AM #3
In my opinion, if you know your wife wants an iPhone, and you want a NEW iPhone, make it a mutual respect kind of thing and wait so you can both go get the new iPhone this summer! You'll be happy, she'll be happy and you wont have to worry about her looking at you going "I want the new iPhone, you keep the 4." (not that there is anything wrong with the 4 at all).
Personally to me, if there was just a single upgrade in the situation, i would wait until the new phone comes (since you're just looking at a matter of a few months now). The 3GS is a great phone, performs about the same as the iphone 4 and only shows its age in the camera, screen quality and multi tasking department (it slows a little quicker under load of multiple apps running). You'd love the iPhone 4 if you got it, but i think the phone coming this summer will impress you more with upgrades over the 3GS.
- 02-01-2011, 10:38 AM #4
That is the dilemma I am in. I want to get the i4 but am anxious to see what the i5 has in store. My wife is on BB and right now I have a Bold as well. I had the Iphone 3G and am wanting to upgrade now it is a matter of if I want to do it now or just wait a few more months.
I know she likes the iphone as well but is a big time BB user. So if I were to get the 4 and the 5 comes out by then I would be able to upgrade, as I will be using hers to do mine.
- 02-01-2011, 11:09 AM #5
I mean, if your significant other doesn't mind letting someone else use up his/her upgrade, then go for it...iPhone 4 is awesome, iPhone 4GS/5 (whatever it will be called) will be better...if you have that option, then you're in a good spot and i'd go with that any day of the week.
BUT...if you have a person like my wife, who loves the iPhone as much as i do, sharing the upgrade experience is part of the fun of the new release, and i would almost always wait until we could both get the new toy instead of just one.
- 02-05-2011, 01:51 AM #6iMore Intermediate
- 176 Posts
I concur just depends on how technologically inclined she is. My girlfriend right now could careless about what generation iPhone it is as long as it doesn't lag like the 3G and first gen. She recently upgraded to the i4 and loves it. I have an upgrade available but what I did was sell my 3G on craigslist and just pay the difference for a 3GS so I wouldn't be terribly laggy. Now I'm waiting for the next gen. 4gs/5 and I'm okay with the wait because the main differences in my opinion are the retina display (which I envy) and the flash/5mp camera. Other than that I see it basically the same at it's worst the 3GS is about 3 seconds behind the i4...but that's only until they add more features right now the 3GS can keep up, but in the future the i4's power will be utilized and the 3GS will be slow.
Basically my advice is sell your 3GS and 4 before they announce 4GS/5 so you get top dollar for them and then both get 4GS/5's then you'll have some extra cash and the newest iPhone.
- 02-05-2011, 02:38 AM #7
- 02-05-2011, 02:56 AM #8iMore Intermediate
- 176 Posts
Verizon and At&t are both working toward 4G. I guarantee you the next iPhone will have 4G support...both networks are currently bragging about how good and vast their 4G LTE is going to be. It would be a shame if their number one selling phone (iPhone) doesn't support it/isn't ready for it. Plus what else could they really add to the iPhone that isn't software? The processor is 1 Ghz that's underclocked, 5mp camera with flash, retina display...the next iPhone is going to have to have something really appealing for people to ditch the 4. Even if the 4G network isn't up and running I bet the next gen iPhone will be 4G ready..
- iPhone Beginner
- 50 Posts
Thanks fir all the input folks. Friday night I brought a new i4 home. Mostly because the wife was ready to throw her bb 9000 out the window. She was a little iffy about switching to iPhone, but about an hour after I had it set up for her she exclaimed "I love this thing!" lol.
Only real issue I had was setting up the i4 for me. Before I left home I made a backup of the 3GS and restored it to the i4 when I connected it to iTunes. Multiple errors popped up and when finished I could nit open any apps on the phone, a reset put it in recovery mode and I had to set it all up manually. A little more time consuming than I pictured, but it's all working now.