If I buy a new iphone 4 on my account but want to give it as a gift...?

p08757

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
As long as you are upgrading an existing line, I would think you would be fine. On a new line, you can not do this, unless you have a different phone to put on that line for the duration of the contract.

Worst case, is you activate it on your line for a short time, and switch back to your old phone. Done.

p08757

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
Can I do that, or do I have to activate the phone on itunes first and then give it as a gift. I was going to buy it on a 2 year contract.

My previous response is if you were just going to give the phone away, but now that I re-read your question.

Are you going to pay for the service as well? If so, you can add a line and give the phone away as a gift, and be responsible for the monthly bill.

/ :D/ you sound like a very nice guy... How do I become a friend in good gift receiving status? /:D/

nies

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
in order to give it to someone you would first need to activate it on your line for a few minutes, then swap back to your phone, all it takes is a simple esn swap online via myverizon. then after that you could get the iphone to whoever to activate for their line.. hope this helps..

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
So there is no way to order the iphone and give it to someone for them to activate on their accouant?

Sure, you just order it and since you're upgrading and not starting a new line, you never have to activate the phone so you're free to just give it away. Just upgrade as you normally would and when you get the phone, just give it away. It's that simple. It might also be a good idea to call Verizon though and make sure the phone isn't tied to your account in any way.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Can I do that, or do I have to activate the phone on itunes first and then give it as a gift. I was going to buy it on a 2 year contract.

Whether or not you can do this will depend on what the activation process for the iPhone will involve.

The typical activation on Verizon for phones that are ordered and shipped involves calling a toll free number to accept the terms and conditions of the contract before you activate and program the phone. If that process is not done - accepting the terms & conditions - the phone can not be activated by someone else, because it's tied to your account.

If the process is the same for the iPhone - before you give it away, you'd have to activate it on the line on your account it was ordered under - then, put another phone on that line before the iPhone could be put on another line, or given away.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2