Will Verizon increase data costs??

johnnyfable

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I read in the newspaper that Verizon may soon do away with the $29.99 Unlimited data plan and switch to a tier program for data. This would mean that the amount you pay each month for data would depend on how much you use instead of a flat rate. So, if you were to get an iphone and sign up for the $29.99 Unlimited plan BEFORE they switched to a tier program, would your rates still changed over to the tier program. I just don't want to get an iphone and then end up having to pay according to a tier data plan (because I plan on using a lot of data). Some people say that if you have the $29.99 Unlimited data plan, then it would stay the same regardless of Verizon switching to a tier program. I basically just don't want to get stuck spending over $29.99/month for data a couple of months down the road.

I have spoken to multiple Verizon Customer Service Representatives and the all seem to "beat around the bush" when I ask that question. I have not received any further information from Verizon regarding the iphone.

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Judging from my history with them? You will have your unlimited data and be grandfathered into it. How long? That remains to be seen. They could force you to a new plan when you upgrade your phone (and a way around that is to pay full retail for the phone) or they could let you upgrade and keep the plan you have. That is the case with my voice plan. I have upgraded twice since my voice plan went away, and no issues. I still have an older/cheaper plan.

rich13er

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
IF you get in under the $29.99 unlimited data plan you will be grandfathered into that program when they change to a tiered plan. In other words you will be able to keep the unlimited data plan. If they were to switch you to a tiered data plan you would have cause to break your contract with them.

highlife

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Judging from my history with them? You will have your unlimited data and be grandfathered into it. How long? That remains to be seen. They could force you to a new plan when you upgrade your phone (and a way around that is to pay full retail for the phone) or they could let you upgrade and keep the plan you have. That is the case with my voice plan. I have upgraded twice since my voice plan went away, and no issues. I still have an older/cheaper plan.

Correct. The unlimited data will stay grandfathered on your iPhone as long as you have it.

Your minute plan also stays grandfathered when you change devices.

Data plans normally are NOT grandfathered when you change devices. So, if you do sign up for the 29.99 unlimited plan for the iPhone, it is very possible that when you decide to upgrade to your next device, they will no longer honor that unlimited data option.

ATT has grandfathered the option for its iPhone owners that currently have the package, and upgrade to the new iPhone. I have my fingers crossed that VZW will follow that same pattern, but it's not very likely.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox