Official word: Verizon iPhone: $30 Unlimited Data

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Official word: Verizon iPhone: $30 Unlimited Data - Updated

Verizon iPhone: $30 Unlimited Data - Digits - WSJ

It?s official: Verizon is going to offer iPhone buyers a $30 unlimited data plan. The carrier?s heir apparent and chief operating officer, Lowell McAdam, told us the news ahead of the company?s meeting with investors.

?I?m not going to shoot myself in the foot,? he said. Not offering an unlimited plan would put up a barrier for customers who might otherwise switch from AT&T, he said. The country?s No. 2 carrier still has millions of subscribers grandfathered into unlimited plans they signed up for before AT&T switched to tiered pricing last summer.

Mr. McAdam certainly doesn?t want to miss out on any sales now. Anticipation Verizon would soon offer the iPhone held back sales over the fourth quarter, he said. Analysts seemed happy with the subscriber growth, but McAdam wasn?t. ?It wasn?t what I hoped it would be,? he said.

But Wait!! There's More!!
Update: But you?d better act fast. Speaking later Tuesday morning, Mr. McAdam said the iPhone unlimited plan will be a temporary offer and that the carrier will follow AT&T?s move to tiered pricing in the not too distant future.

There you have it folks. Get it now :)

Last edited:

rich13er

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Just read on more on this. This plan is only temporary. by the end of the year they will move to a teired data plan like at&t. They are offering this plan now to get at&t customers to move over. It will not matter to us or those who switch cause we will be grandfathered in to the $30 unlimited plan.

Reactions: kch50428

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Just read on more on this. This plan is only temporary. by the end of the year they will move to a teired data plan like at&t. They are offering this plan now to get at&t customers to move over. It will not matter to us or those who switch cause we will be grandfathered in to the $30 unlimited plan.

Just revised the Original Post to reflect this - just saw it myself :)

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

Im sure that has something to do with upcoming 4g plans

ddnichols7

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I already have the $30 plan as well. But when these new plans come out later this year, will those who already had the $30 plan keep it or be forced to move to the tierd plan? and how does those plans work?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I already have the $30 plan as well. But when these new plans come out later this year, will those who already had the $30 plan keep it or be forced to move to the tierd plan? and how does those plans work?
You keep what you have... if they didn't let you keep the existing feature and price, it would be a material, adverse change in your contract terms, and they'd have to let you out of your contract. They won't do that.

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

You will be able to keep the unlimited that you have new phone or not thats what grandfathering is

thinkTwice

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
You keep what you have... if they didn't let you keep the existing feature and price, it would be a material, adverse change in your contract terms, and they'd have to let you out of your contract. They won't do that.

True, but in a year or two when the contract expires, they don't have to give you unlimited anymore since there is no contract, right? Can they say, "Hey, now pay us $25 for 3GBs, sorry we don't offer the unlimited plan anymore?"

The reason why I ask is that I'm looking to avoid LTE until it's fully deployed and (hopefully, but unlikely) there might be a price drop in the fees. Right now 3G is fine with me for the next 1, 2 yrs. It's far easier and quicker to upgrade a phone than it is to upgrade a network.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
True, but in a year or two when the contract expires, they don't have to give you unlimited anymore since there is no contract, right? Can they say, "Hey, now pay us $25 for 3GBs, sorry we don't offer the unlimited plan anymore?"

They can, but usually they'll still grandfather people that have features that are no longer offered as part of the incentive to renew a contract. I don't see unlimited going away on 3G - I think the tiered pricing will be for LTE/4G.

The reason why I ask is that I'm looking to avoid LTE until it's fully deployed and (hopefully, but unlikely) there might be a price drop in the fees. Right now 3G is fine with me for the next 1, 2 yrs. It's far easier and quicker to upgrade a phone than it is to upgrade a network.

Who knows what LTE will bring - a lot can happen between now, and 2013 when VZW says they'll be fully deployed. The way I have it figured, getting an iPhone now on a 2-year contract, I'll be eligible to renew/upgrade in 20 months - and by then, there should be 4G/LTE deployed in my market, and there should be a 4G/LTE iPhone to upgrade to.

boomhower1820

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
They should have translated that:

"Get the iPhone 4 now and get unlimited data because when the iPhone 5 gets here we are going to start tiered data". That's my thought anyways. I had been planning on moving to Verizon and getting my wife an iPhone 4 and myself a used Droid and then an iPhone 5 in the summertime.

If my line is month to month since I am bringing my own phone will I be able to turn that into a contract and be grandfathered in?

buzzdar#WN

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Anyone know if the vzw iPhone will use all the same accessories including otterbox type cases

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk on the VZW Network.

boomhower1820

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Anyone know if the vzw iPhone will use all the same accessories including otterbox type cases

The buttons on the side are slightly different so most cases aren't going to fit but it depends on how the case was designed.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
If my line is month to month since I am bringing my own phone will I be able to turn that into a contract and be grandfathered in?
If you're going to sign on as a new customer, and get the iPhone on one line, and do the second line with the Droid - yes, you'll be "month to month" on that line, and at any time you can get a new phone at contract pricing - and you should be grandfathered any features you have.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
And now we know - the personal hot-spot - a $20/month add-on...

Verizon dishes on iPhone hotspot pricing | Phones | iOS Central | Macworld

And yes, you can add and remove the feature as needed... so, if you're going on vacation, you can add it for the rest of your current billing cycle (and the next if your vacation spans cycle date) - and take it off again when you're back home - but still, $20/month ain't bad.

Scout_313

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad to hear that they will have the $30 unlimited data package when the iPhone 4 is released since I sold Droid Pro and switched to an old flip phone and no longer have a data package on my line.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

Im using a Otterbox Defender and these buttons are precise. I'm 99.9% sure this will not work on the Vzn iPhone 4

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2