Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Default Easiest way to clean out backround apps?

Hi,

I'm using an non-jailbroken iPhone 4 with iOS 4.2.1.

Short of going to the task manager (Home button double-click) and removing all background apps one-by-one, is there a simpler way to remove all background apps? I sometimes experience slowness and rapid battery drain, but don't know who is the culprit.

Thanks,
    Alex
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    9,521 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Doesn't get much easier than double clicking and closing the apps you simply arn't using...having to open an app to do this would kind of defeat the whole goal you're trying to achieve...and on the other end, a "mass close" option would close things you're prob not wanting to close. It literally takes seconds to use the multitasking feature to close unused apps...it is your best and most efficient way to stop apps running in the background.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    195 Global Posts

reboot?

10char
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,632 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

due to my OCD it really bothers me when there are apps sitting in my switcher tray. yeah i know they are not technically running in the background.. but still

another reason why i love being jailbroken - MultiCleaner FTW!
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

Default Closing paused apps in the task bar

I have an iPad that I let as many as 24 kids use over the course of a week or more. They each will use up to half a dozen apps as they explore the system. Is it true that there will be no memory usage to speak of if 30 to more than 200 apps are in their frozen state?

Is there a set memory amount allocated to store frozen state apps, and when this gets filled up, the system closes the first stored apps and adds the latest stored apps?

Finally, a power off clears all frozen apps stored in the task bar?

Thanks in advance for any information you may have to add.
    iPhone Beginner

Maybe try MemStatus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone Beginner

Nevermind. Just tried it and did not do what you were asking. Sorry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    829 Global Posts

Home button double click is the only way that I'm aware of.
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    Doesn't get much easier than double clicking and closing the apps you simply arn't using...having to open an app to do this would kind of defeat the whole goal you're trying to achieve...and on the other end, a "mass close" option would close things you're prob not wanting to close. It literally takes seconds to use the multitasking feature to close unused apps...it is your best and most efficient way to stop apps running in the background.
    When you have 20 or 30 different apps listed there, built-up over the last few weeks or so, it gets tedious. I'd much rather have a "flush" option that would take just a few seconds as opposed to 30 seconds + to close them each individually. Power off/on seems to leave items in their frozen state as well. I just tested the "literally takes seconds" thought, and it took... 49 seconds for over 30 apps in the multi-task bar.

Yeah, less than a minute, but geez, it could be done soooo much faster.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    9,521 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

lmao...complaining about something that takes less than a minute to do just baffles my mind, but i guess in this fast paced world we live in, some people grow absolutely incapable of any semblance of patience at all, and want instant gratification.

Me personally, i'll stick to the manual nature of closing app's through the multitasking bar...i mean i spend about the same amount of time per day adjusting options on the phone for whatever reason, i think i can invest a few seconds bettering the performance of my handset.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,606 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I open up the app switcher and go into jiggly mode. Then I start with the app on the right and delete toward the left. By the time you get to the last one on the left of the screen more apps have slidden in from the right and you repeat until no more come in from the right. If wierd stuff had been happening I reboot as well.
    iPhone Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Sketso View Post
    When you have 20 or 30 different apps listed there, built-up over the last few weeks or so, it gets tedious. I'd much rather have a "flush" option that would take just a few seconds as opposed to 30 seconds + to close them each individually. Power off/on seems to leave items in their frozen state as well. I just tested the "literally takes seconds" thought, and it took... 49 seconds for over 30 apps in the multi-task bar.

Yeah, less than a minute, but geez, it could be done soooo much faster.
    lmao...complaining about something that takes less than a minute to do just baffles my mind, but i guess in this fast paced world we live in, some people grow absolutely incapable of any semblance of patience at all, and want instant gratification.

Me personally, i'll stick to the manual nature of closing app's through the multitasking bar...i mean i spend about the same amount of time per day adjusting options on the phone for whatever reason, i think i can invest a few seconds bettering the performance of my handset.
    Agreed, if it takes you 30 seconds you're a sloth. I can clear out a trya of 20 apps in maybe 10 seconds...god people
    MacBook 6,1 Late 09 Model
    iPhone 4 16GB JB'd
    iPad 16 GB 3G+WiFi
    Follow me on Twitter @CFFlack
    Tip my scale if I helped ya or was just being a good dude as usual.
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version

Perhaps I've misrepresented myself. It's not just the 49 seconds... it's the double tap, press and hold for jiggly, tap/clear, tap/clear, tap/clear, tap/clear, and on and on that irritates me. I'd much rather power off/on, or have a 1 tap flush option to clear all the background apps. Rebooting the phone takes longer than the 49 seconds, but I'd rather let the phone do the work, and if a reboot would work as compared to the above mentioned process currently in place, I would use it instead. That's more time for my eyes to be on the world around me instead of my phone, which isn't such a bad thing. Would it REALLY be that hard to incorporate?

Even *gasp* Microsoft IE *gasp* has a "delete all" option that will clear temp files, history, cookies, saved passwords and web info in just 1 click. Yes, it used to be a separate click for each action, but they improved the process. If you'd rather do each individually, more power to you. I guess I just expect technology to be less… manual.

As for being "incapable of any semblance of patience at all" (as mentioned by one above), I'm a husband (19 years), and a father (10 and 17), so I think I've proven the capacity for patience.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    5,781 Global Posts

I don't think i've ever closed more than the occasional app that acts up. There's no need to.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    9,521 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Quote Originally Posted by Sketso View Post
    Perhaps I've misrepresented myself. It's not just the 49 seconds... it's the double tap, press and hold for jiggly, tap/clear, tap/clear, tap/clear, tap/clear, and on and on that irritates me. I'd much rather power off/on, or have a 1 tap flush option to clear all the background apps. Rebooting the phone takes longer than the 49 seconds, but I'd rather let the phone do the work, and if a reboot would work as compared to the above mentioned process currently in place, I would use it instead. That's more time for my eyes to be on the world around me instead of my phone, which isn't such a bad thing. Would it REALLY be that hard to incorporate?

Even *gasp* Microsoft IE *gasp* has a "delete all" option that will clear temp files, history, cookies, saved passwords and web info in just 1 click. Yes, it used to be a separate click for each action, but they improved the process. If you'd rather do each individually, more power to you. I guess I just expect technology to be less… manual.

As for being "incapable of any semblance of patience at all" (as mentioned by one above), I'm a husband (19 years), and a father (10 and 17), so I think I've proven the capacity for patience.
    The comparison to IE though is kind of moot because Safari also has the same options...neither of them are related to the nature of multiple apps running on an iPhone.

I guess i would understand the need for this if the process of closing the apps took any legitimate amount of time, but seriously, people spend more time picking their nose than it takes to close apps on the iPhone that arn't being used...i mean sure, you could have an "All in 1" app to close apps, but again, in order for it to be limited to the apps you dont want open and filtering out the ones you DO want to leave open...you'd have to go through a setup process, various administrative cues to tell it to properly shut down some apps, etc...these things seem even more time consuming than the simple act of accessing the apps through the multitasking bar and closing them manually...i mean yeah, after you have everything setup, the app may save a few seconds, but then what about new apps? You have to add them in and blah blah blah...

We arn't talking even minutes here...we're talking literally seconds. If your life is so packed full of activity away from important things where mere seconds are making this kind of app worthwhile to you, then perhaps reevaluating the way you partition EVERYTHING is a better approach...not speaking to anyone in particular, just making a general point.

As far as patience go, i was simply being generic to make a point about how insignificant the time it takes to manually close the apps really is, it was not targeted at any one person in here.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    91 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alexWithPhone View Post
    Hi,

I'm using an non-jailbroken iPhone 4 with iOS 4.2.1.

Short of going to the task manager (Home button double-click) and removing all background apps one-by-one, is there a simpler way to remove all background apps? I sometimes experience slowness and rapid battery drain, but don't know who is the culprit.

Thanks,
    Alex
    Jailbreaking your phone will get you the ability to do exactly what you want . . . yes, I know you can't jailbreak 4.2.1 yet.

Once jailbroken you can get "Remove Background". It can quickly be accessed via SBSettings, another excellent, excellent jailbreak app.

There's another jb app that can make the little minus sign always appear on app icons in the switcher bar. I *think* it is SwitcherMod. With it, you don't have to do that annoying press&hold to get the close option.

I use these often to speed up closing of apps like Pandora, iPod, Sirus, etc.

I'm like you, I don't like to have all that crap sitting in memory in the background. My experience is that my iP4 runs better after clearing out those dozen or so things that can build up over time.

Keith
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    9,521 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Quote Originally Posted by kgvickers View Post
    Jailbreaking your phone will get you the ability to do exactly what you want . . . yes, I know you can't jailbreak 4.2.1 yet.

Once jailbroken you can get "Remove Background". It can quickly be accessed via SBSettings, another excellent, excellent jailbreak app.

There's another jb app that can make the little minus sign always appear on app icons in the switcher bar. I *think* it is SwitcherMod. With it, you don't have to do that annoying press&hold to get the close option.

I use these often to speed up closing of apps like Pandora, iPod, Sirus, etc.

I'm like you, I don't like to have all that crap sitting in memory in the background. My experience is that my iP4 runs better after clearing out those dozen or so things that can build up over time.

Keith
    I'm jailbroken on 4.2.1...easy as pie with Redsn0w (only limited by its tethered nature).

Im curious what you guys are experiencing that is causing you to be unhappy with performance enough to have apps to control background apps...I left every app that i had opened open for months and never experienced any kind of legitimate slow down or performance lag...
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    91 Global Posts

I'm curious what you guys are experiencing that is causing you to be unhappy with performance enough to have apps to control background apps...I left every app that i had opened open for months and never experienced any kind of legitimate slow down or performance lag...
    Well, to be brutally honest I don't *know* that there's a measurable performance difference . . . could be it just makes me feel better . . .

Ha.

Keith
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    9,521 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

^^^ Kinda what i was thinking...
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    5,781 Global Posts

What's the point of having a quick app switcher if you remove them all constantly? I think people are confused as to what is running in the background. Apple designed multitasking as a feature you don't need to manage. But i'll agree there is the occasional app that needs closed if its acting up.
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version

The comparison to IE though is kind of moot because Safari also has the same options...neither of them are related to the nature of multiple apps running on an iPhone.
    I wasn't comparing them as apples to apples, but more in the relevance of something that used to seem just as tedious advancing to something far simpler to accomplish the same steps. Plus, I chose Microsoft's product just as a comparison, as usually they are the ones who lag behind on being the ultimate in user friendly with silly little tweaks and touches, whereas Apple tends to lead the industry in that area. (this is personal opinion only and not representative of those who host, read, post or reply to said ideas or comments, blah blah legal jumbo blah)

I'm not anal about clearing out background apps on a daily basis, but at times when my iphone performance seems to be sluggish or "unusual", I will go in and clear out everything just as a precaution, and often it seems that performance returns to normal by just completing that process. I don't try to find or ID the one application that might be having an issue, I just dump 'em all in a "mass refresh" old school approach, and start from scratch. It just seems logical that there should be a "flush all" sort of option for those folks of the same mindset. Obviously, there are others (well, at least 1 ) who feel the same, thus why this thread was created.

Of course, the power off process irritates me too, with the whole mash for x-seconds, then slide... well, I won't go into that one. That's all phones these days anyway, or most for sure.

Neither issue, of course, is irritating enough to make me give up my iPhone, so in reality, it's all sort of moot, as you say. It's just a preference sort of thing. Maybe if they'd give me all the new text tones for free instead of mocking me for not upgrading to the i4 yet, I'd be satisfied?
    Last edited by Sketso; 01-26-2011 at 02:47 PM.
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    What's the point of having a quick app switcher if you remove them all constantly? I think people are confused as to what is running in the background. Apple designed multitasking as a feature you don't need to manage. But i'll agree there is the occasional app that needs closed if its acting up.
    Ahh, I love the quick app switching capabilities of the iPhone, and don't clear all apps on any sort of daily, weekly, etc. sort of schedule. I probably clear them all once every month or so at most, just when performance seems to be suffering for whatever reason.

I've even stopped by the local Apple store with performance related questions, and they recommended clearing all background apps and power cycling the phone to see if performance improved before taking other steps.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,903 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

What I have noticed is that the phone actually works better if you leave the task manager alone. I'm OCD too so I used to actually quit apps I wasn't using 3 or 4 times a day and noticed that my battery life was running down compared to before I actually started clearing the apps. So I decided to just reboot the phone and use it for a week without clearing any apps through the task manager and maybe it's just mind over matter but I seemed to get a tad bit better battery life. Perhaps because the phone is programmed to optimize the processes I can't say but now the only time I use the task manager to kill an app is if it's frozen or needs to be reset. Once a month I'll go through the list and kill apps that are there that I only use once a month at the most then I'll reboot the phone.

Also keep in mind that it doesn't necessarily have to be apps running in the background causing the battery drain it's just the first thing people blame because it seems like the logical culprit. I installed Baker Story, City Story both games in the App Store and they didn't crash or anything. They worked perfectly fine except I noticed that right after I installed them my battery life wasn't as good as before. I loaded them on my old 1st gen and low and behold a phone that sat on my dresser for three days with full battery because it was doing absolutely nothing now lasted half a day before the battery died. I hadn't even run the game on the phone because it wont even open on the 1st gen but incase you think it's just mind over matter once I uninstalled it and rebooted the phone was back to it's 3 day charge habit. So don't be so quick to think it's running apps that cause the drain.
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)
    iMore Intermediate

You can close two at a time if your good with your fingers. I usually put a thumb over both the far left and far right X at the same time. If you get your timing down you can roll right through 30 apps in as little as 10 seconds.
    Steve Jobs created iCloud so he would have somewhere to go when he died and still be with Apple.
    Thanked by:
    Sketso (01-26-2011)
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by slalomskie View Post
    You can close two at a time if your good with your fingers. I usually put a thumb over both the far left and far right X at the same time. If you get your timing down you can roll right through 30 apps in as little as 10 seconds.
    Nice! I might put that to the test and see if these old fingers can pull that off, ha!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast