Verizon iPhone good news for AT&T users?

pizzafootbal

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
With the new Verizon iPhone out, I think that this may help us AT&T user that aren't switching to Verizon. Why? Well, I think that now people will start switching to Verizon, and with less people on iPhones hogging 3G, faster speeds for us!

xDAKx

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm still getting used to having the 3G speeds I do now, AT&T 3G for me is almost faster (with less latency) than T-Mobile's fake "4G" network speeds, so I've had nothing but nice things to say about AT&T, their service and their reps, however the "AT&T sucks" discussions on pretty much every board have driven me crazy the few weeks I've been with them, I'm not so much excited about faster data as I am the potential for the cry babies to go find someone else's "parade to rain on" if you will.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
It's possible that it may help alleviate the congestion, but we'll see. I still feel that AT&T isn't solely to blame. There are regulatory issues in some cities (permits and such), European style baseband radios (infineon), and perhaps less than stellar programming by apple.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
It's possible that it may help alleviate the congestion, but we'll see. I still feel that AT&T isn't solely to blame. There are regulatory issues in some cities (permits and such), European style baseband radios (infineon), and perhaps less than stellar programming by apple.

I do not think Apple's programming is at fault. Definitely the antenna is their responsibility, but the programming doesn't have anything to do with it.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
i think the fact the iPhone 4 refresh/5 whatever it's going to be called with the new qualcomm radio chipsets will make a HUGE difference in it being on AT&T and least call dropwise

milani

Jul 17, 2008
ambientrings.com
I would say it's a good news for all iPhone users. The competition between AT&T and Verizon to provide the best service for iPhone users will have a two-fold effect: not only will it allow Apple to push the boundaries of innovation for its platform, but the competition between carriers will inevitably lead to better service for iPhone owners on any network.

MrP

Aug 3, 2008
Visit site
Good news!!!! Now instead of complaining people can switch carriers and AT&T won't be so bogged down. I have a feeling that Verizon will experience many of the same problems AT&T did because people with iPhones chew up a lot of data. Better for everyone!!!

pilsbury

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Good news!!!! Now instead of complaining people can switch carriers and AT&T won't be so bogged down. I have a feeling that Verizon will experience many of the same problems AT&T did because people with iPhones chew up a lot of data. Better for everyone!!!

I agree. It will be interesting to see how many iPhones are sold on VZW the first week.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
This isn't going to alleviate any substantial traffic on AT&T's network because the Verizon iPhone isn't going to yield the same amount of buyers as the AT&T iPhone's have and do...there are a few things going against the Verizon variant and i think that will actually push those on the fence OVER to AT&T, and will keep many of the existing customers who were wishy washy on whether to jump ship or not.

The difference the Verizon iPhone makes on AT&T's network will be so negligible that we won't see any performance boost or signal reliability increase...it'll be a numbers factor that none of us really ever see. AT&T will have to physically improve the network with better towers with higher numbers of them...then obviously upgrading the network past the currently obsolete technology...they have the "plans" to do it, we'll see how long it takes them to actually implement anything...with the money they rake in right now with a service that is becoming archaic, im thinking they still have a good amount of time before they actually impress us with any improvements at all.

One good thing about the Verizon iPhone though is that when the new iPhone models release, we'll have alot more stores (between AT&T and Verizon), to take some of the line traffic off the shoulders of the Apple stores around the world, which is where i always get my iPhones anyways...maybe instead of 15 hours of waiting, it'll only be 14.75... :D

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Its simply a blind assumption that the programming has nothing to do with it...as much as we would like to think that the iPhone is on par with the macbook as far as quality and reliability goes, the iPhone stepped into the world of mass production in ways the macbook probably wont see for decades to come...and when this happens, you have a VASTLY higher chance of the product to release with all kinds of issues (as was obvious with the iPhone 4 upon release). To say it has nothing to do with it is simply approaching the issue with tunnel vision...you have no way of knowing this unless you're on the inside of Apple trying to patch these issues (or NOT patch these issues if the case is there are none).

Am i willing to put more faith in Apple than AT&T when it comes to problems and blame? Absolutely, but i also know common sense tells us not to eliminate either side of the coin.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I think the good news is choice, for those who want the iPhone and live in an area where Verizon has better coverage it will be a win for them.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I think the good news is choice, for those who want the iPhone and live in an area where Verizon has better coverage it will be a win for them.

That is honestly the ONLY guaranteed positive outcome of the Verizon iPhone release...time will tell what networks experience, if pricing changes at all on either side of the fence, and if more markets for the iPhone = more internal development from Apple...but right now, the only certain piece is that people now have a choice in the case that one of the carriers falls less than par in their area when it comes to service quality.

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
At first I was convinced that it would be great for AT&T users that planned on staying but after reading a lot of posts on here I don't see as many people jumping to Verizon as I thought would.

Which basically in turn means my dream of AT&Ts network being A LOT less congested are nowhere near reality.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
People were thinking half of Att users would jump ship. People are not going to want to pay these EFT fees. I dont see many jumping which means its not going to do much to lessen the traffic on the network.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
The only way we'll know is once the reports and numbers come out after it's release to see how much of an impact it's having

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234