Has Anyone Been Successful Getting An Upgrade Bumped Up To Apply Toward Your iPhone?

Have you been successful at getting your upgrade moved up?

• Total voters

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I've had reps do it for me in the past for other phones and I've read online that Verizon reps are bumping up upgrades if they're within a couple months of the iPhone launch. Unfortunately, I just called CS and requested a bump and was told that they have really cracked down on this and they can only do it if the upgrade is a week or less away. I don't know if that's true, but it's what I was told. It isn't a big deal for me personally because I don't mind paying full retail and saving the upgrade for either a new iPhone this summer or a Droid Bionic, but I'd like to know if anyone has been successful at this.

Hangfire

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
See, this is a real iffy subject. I have worked in CS phone support for a large bank and I know corporate mentality. On the one hand, what you were told may be right as they don't want to have an influx of requests that can cause underlying issues with altering contracts. On the other, I wouldn't see why the wouldn't want to bump up your upgrade as they are doing away with the NE2 and the quicker they upgrade people and have them use their upgrades, the sooner they completely wash their hands of that program. I would continue to call back and explain exactly what I said. Ask to speak to a manager, first tell them "I can appreciate the fact you are busy and I just want to thank you for taking my call.". Then explain to them the benefit to them of them bumping up your upgrade date. Managers are all about time and money, if it makes sense in a time sense and monetarily, you tickle their corporate fancy. Good luck.

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
See, this is a real iffy subject. I have worked in CS phone support for a large bank and I know corporate mentality. On the one hand, what you were told may be right as they don't want to have an influx of requests that can cause underlying issues with altering contracts. On the other, I wouldn't see why the wouldn't want to bump up your upgrade as they are doing away with the NE2 and the quicker they upgrade people and have them use their upgrades, the sooner they completely wash their hands of that program. I would continue to call back and explain exactly what I said. Ask to speak to a manager, first tell them "I can appreciate the fact you are busy and I just want to thank you for taking my call.". Then explain to them the benefit to them of them bumping up your upgrade date. Managers are all about time and money, if it makes sense in a time sense and monetarily, you tickle their corporate fancy. Good luck.

Good point and very well said. I'll give it a try, thanks. :)

ericsmcdonald

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Ask to speak to a manager, first tell them "I can appreciate the fact you are busy and I just want to thank you for taking my call.". Then explain to them the benefit to them of them bumping up your upgrade date. Managers are all about time and money, if it makes sense in a time sense and monetarily, you tickle their corporate fancy. Good luck.

I agree that kindness gets you far. I don't think Verizon will commit to bumping up your upgrade unless you are going to purchase that day. You might get a nice manager who will "notate your account" and you can use the upgrade early. I personally think you'll have more luck calling when the phone is available and saying something like "you know, I'd buy it today but I have a NE2 coming to me in a month so I think I'll wait a month" and see if they offer to move it for you. Sometimes you don't have to ask for things that you want :)

And that tactic worked for me over the summer!

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I agree that kindness gets you far. I don't think Verizon will commit to bumping up your upgrade unless you are going to purchase that day. You might get a nice manager who will "notate your account" and you can use the upgrade early. I personally think you'll have more luck calling when the phone is available and saying something like "you know, I'd buy it today but I have a NE2 coming to me in a month so I think I'll wait a month" and see if they offer to move it for you. Sometimes you don't have to ask for things that you want :)

And that tactic worked for me over the summer!

That's worked for me in the past as well but I was asking if anyone has done it recently, specifically for the iPhone because I wanted to see if the CSR was right when he said they can only move it up a week now.

Asunners

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I pushed the "wrong" button on the phone menu and ended up at retention. I mentioned that I had 3 phones on my family plan ready for upgrades (contracts have expired) and 2 that others that wanted to get iPhones, but were not due for upgrades until June. A few minutes on hold and the last two phones on our account are now eligible for upgrades on 2/1.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Did those two lines have other smart phones on them?

If the answer is "no" - that's why you got those two bumped up. Increase in revenue. They'll almost always bump an eligibility date if it means getting you into a higher priced contract.

Asunners

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site

fwiw ... Yes, both lines were smart phones so there won't be an increase on those lines. I might have given them the impression that the other three lines were going to get iPhones. I hope they didnt misconstrue what I was saying. :D

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site

If the answer is "no" - that's why you got those two bumped up. Increase in revenue. They'll almost always bump an eligibility date if it means getting you into a higher priced contract.

The line that I'm trying to get the date bumped up for has a Chocolate 2 on it and they still wouldn't bite.

Reactions: JasonG

Mz Priz

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I pushed the "wrong" button on the phone menu and ended up at retention. I mentioned that I had 3 phones on my family plan ready for upgrades (contracts have expired) and 2 that others that wanted to get iPhones, but were not due for upgrades until June. A few minutes on hold and the last two phones on our account are now eligible for upgrades on 2/1.

I can't even find a "wrong" button to press to end up at retention. (Believe me, I've tried!)
I have called twice & been turned down by both reps. And I am only 5 1/2 weeks out on my upgrade date.

Tried calling the direct access line we had to a really great CSR but the line had been disconnected. My husband just called it less than two weeks ago and she was very helpful with a different issue.

nuckinfutz220

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Upgrade bumped up 4 months

I started my service where I was the primary line around Sept. 09. I soon got my family and fiance's family to all get on Verizon and made my fiance's mother primary line holder because she gets a 20% discount because of her job. I bought a Droid Inc off eBay because my Moto Droid wasnt cutting it anymore, which didnt effect my upgrade date which was 6/29/11 ( not sure how it was that, but that is what myverizon said). We have always been on time with payments and have a total of 5 ppl on the family plan. I called shortly after the VZW iPhone was announced and I asked if there was anyway i could get the upgrade price on my line even though my upgrade was months away. They put me on hold and after a few minutes the guy told me after i got off the phone with him i would be eligible for an upgrade and i could confirm it by logging into myverizon, which i did and it says im eligible to get the iPhone for the $199 or $299 price. All i can say that my experience was unique and prob won't happen for everyone, but it couldnt hurt to just call and ask.

brianmg

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I was able to bump mine up from mid-March to now so that I can use my $50 NE2 upgrade. It didn't even take any persuasion on my behalf. I'm not sure if I just got lucky with my CSR or what, but I'll take it!

cevmkv

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I can't even find a "wrong" button to press to end up at retention. (Believe me, I've tried!)
I have called twice & been turned down by both reps. And I am only 5 1/2 weeks out on my upgrade date.

Tried calling the direct access line we had to a really great CSR but the line had been disconnected. My husband just called it less than two weeks ago and she was very helpful with a different issue.

just call to cancel your account and they will automatically send you to a retention rep.

Joey4u615

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
I called this morning to see if Verizon would bump my upgrade and they told that this would be unfair to other customers if they did that for me. Unfortunately, I'm a student and I cannot afford the full $600 price for the phone so I guess i'm out of luck for now...

UKFan643

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I called this morning to see if Verizon would bump my upgrade and they told that this would be unfair to other customers if they did that for me. Unfortunately, I'm a student and I cannot afford the full $600 price for the phone so I guess i'm out of luck for now...

My experience with other phones is that this will happen. But if you keep calling back and keep trying, eventually you will get someone who will do it for you. Every CS rep has the ability to upgrade phones early. Just depends on who you get and how nice you are to them and how nice they are feeling. It's always worth a try!

anneemonster

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I had emailed vzw a while ago asking if I would be able to get my $30 upgrade credit and they told me no and that I would have to wait until my upgrade date in august to use it.

Hangfire

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
My experience with other phones is that this will happen. But if you keep calling back and keep trying, eventually you will get someone who will do it for you. Every CS rep has the ability to upgrade phones early. Just depends on who you get and how nice you are to them and how nice they are feeling. It's always worth a try!

Well, not every CS rep has the ability, but I assure you someone there does. Manager, Retention, etc. Keep calling back as mentioned, maybe try different things, i.e. "I want to stay with Verizon but AT&T has some real attractive offers recently. Let's get this upgrade done, I sign on for another 2 years, and everyone is happy."

Joey4u615

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site

THEY DID IT! :) Thank you for the suggestion!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative