Verizon iPhone 4 - visual voicemail and assisted GPS

nikemandpt

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Verizon iPhone 4 - visual voicemail and assisted GPS?

Does anyone know if the Verizon iPhone 4 will have "built-in" (like current iPhone 4 for AT&T) visual voicemail and assisted GPS will not have any additional cost/charges per month? I'm hoping that Verizon won't charge for their version visual voicemail and VZW navigator...

Last edited:

coltsbr

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if the Verizon iPhone 4 will have "built-in" (like current iPhone 4 for AT&T) visual voicemail and assisted GPS will not have any additional cost/charges per month? I'm hoping that Verizon won't charge for their version visual voicemail and VZW navigator...

Not sure about that, they have always charged for those in the past.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

VzNav has been a "pay to play" feature - going forward, who knows until they announce more info.

Visual Voice Mail is in the same boat... however, something is going to change with voicemail for certain, as the Verizon "getting ready guide" says:

Review all of your existing voice mail

Upon activating your iPhone device, a new voice mailbox will be created. Your existing voice mailbox will be deleted and all messages erased. Click here for more details and step-by-step instructions on how to ?Save A Copy? of your important voice mail messages and greetings.

Obviously, something is different on the back-end for voicemail for iPhones or you would not need to do this.

Reactions: nikemandpt

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I would assume they are not going to charge extra for visual voice mail since they delete any other voice mail box and create a new one by default for the iPhone. For GPS if you get VZ Nav from the app store you will probably get charged like if you get AT&T Nav but not if you use Google Maps or another GPS app from the app store (except for the cost of the app).

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Since apple's visual voicemail is a proprietary standard and a "Feature" of the iPhone, I would suspect that it will be offered at no additional charge. You will have the option of downloading Verizon's bloatware however GPS will function the same as it does on it's GSM sister, in fact aside from the radios and antennas being different everything else about the device will be the same. So if you are an at&t user, all of your standard apps will sync right over "minus some carrier specific apps."

dndrich

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
The aGPS issue is significant. I currently have a Verizon Palm Pre Plus, and I can tell you they have crippled the aGPS for that phone. It only works with their navigator. Many threads on Pre Central about that. So, although there are many pre apps that take advantage of GPS, they work terribly or not at all because of the loss of aGPS. I hope that Verizon does not do the same thing with iPhone. Can't imagine they will, or the complaints will be huge.

dndrich

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Gps will not be locked in anyway and visual voicemail will be free.

I hope you're right. aGPS is assisted GPS, which gets GPS data from the cell towers to help the phone. Makes for very fast acquisition times for a device like a phone, as opposed to a standalone GPS. Verizon slyly locked that part out of the Pre. The GPS on the pre can be forced to work without aGPS, but it is not good.

S.meezy#CB

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I use Youmail for my visual voicemail, I love it and have my Google Voice forwarded to it too. For GPS, just use one of the apps.

I used youmail when i had my BB Storm... then i got my Droid2 and the UI was horrible and awkward, so i went to Google Voice... i am def gonna look into going youmail again when i get my iP4, although i might miss the hilarious transcripts GV comes up with sometimes...

nikemandpt

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Verizon WILL CHARGE for Visual Voicemail

I confirmed with a Verizon Wireless customer service representative the following info re: the iPhone 4:

1) Visual voicemail will cost an additional $2.99 per month

2) Mobile hotspot to tether up to 5 devices will cost additional $20 (for 2GB)

3) Must sign up for a 2-year Nationwide Calling Plan (if not on one already)

4) Unlimited data plan remains at $30 per month

Darth-gamer

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I confirmed with a Verizon Wireless customer service representative the following info re: the iPhone 4:

1) Visual voicemail will cost an additional $2.99 per month

2) Mobile hotspot to tether up to 5 devices will cost additional $20 (for 2GB)

3) Must sign up for a 2-year Nationwide Calling Plan (if not on one already)

4) Unlimited data plan remains at $30 per month

1) Why would VZW charge us for a standard feature of the iPhone? (Though I don't doubt they would.)

2) Correct.

3) Incorrect. You only need a contract to get the discounted price.

4) Correct.

:D

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
The aGPS issue is significant. I currently have a Verizon Palm Pre Plus, and I can tell you they have crippled the aGPS for that phone. It only works with their navigator. Many threads on Pre Central about that. So, although there are many pre apps that take advantage of GPS, they work terribly or not at all because of the loss of aGPS. I hope that Verizon does not do the same thing with iPhone. Can't imagine they will, or the complaints will be huge.

Gps will not be locked in anyway and visual voicemail will be free.

I hope you're right. aGPS is assisted GPS, which gets GPS data from the cell towers to help the phone. Makes for very fast acquisition times for a device like a phone, as opposed to a standalone GPS. Verizon slyly locked that part out of the Pre. The GPS on the pre can be forced to work without aGPS, but it is not good.

Hoping and assuming you are right about the Visual Voicemail. As far as aGPS, yes, they did cripple it on the pre (that is what I am moving from). Some time last summer/early fall, Verizon opened their API to Android and Blackberry OS, so one would assume they also did for Apple. HP/palm was left out of the fun, but I think that had more to do for waiting for webOS 2.0, and if VZW is going to continue to sell new web OS devices or not.

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
1) Why would VZW charge us for a standard feature of the iPhone? (Though I don't doubt they would.)

2) Correct.

3) Incorrect. You only need a contract to get the discounted price.

4) Correct.

:D

The $199 (16GB) and $299 (32GB) pricing is based on a 2-Year contract.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site

because they flat out charge you for EVERYTHING, why I left them years ago, not here to flame and get into the whole att/vzw debate, but vzw has done what it want's since they claim they have the "best" network, so if you want the "best" you PAY for the best... that's the way they've always been

When I had my bb nightmare I mean storm series I used youmail all the time, to avoid the $3 bs charge and it was cool you could actually download the vm's if you wanted as mp3's and save them... pretty cool I do have some funny ones over that time lol

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
because they flat out charge you for EVERYTHING, why I left them years ago, not here to flame and get into the whole att/vzw debate, but vzw has done what it want's since they claim they have the "best" network, so if you want the "best" you PAY for the best... that's the way they've always been

When I had my bb nightmare I mean storm series I used youmail all the time, to avoid the $3 bs charge and it was cool you could actually download the vm's if you wanted as mp3's and save them... pretty cool I do have some funny ones over that time lol

VZW charges for visual voice mail, ATT does not. VZW gives you unlimited data on the iPhone, ATT does not.

It pretty much all comes out even in the wash.

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Wow, they are charging for visual voice mail. How lame.
Well, if we go on what they do for other phones, yes. No "official" word on if they will for iPhone.

That being said, with all the confusion (Full retail can preorder, then they can't, then they can again; pre-orders ship to arrive on 2/10, pre-orders don't ship until the 10th to arrive on the 11th) - I am beginning to wonder if there is ANY official stance on ANYTHING at this point.