No Verizon 4G iPhone till 2012?

nibbz430

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I keep reading in various articles that there will be no 4G LTE iPhone until 2012. If this is true I will get the iPhone 4 as soon as possible and skip the next iPhone in favor of upgrading to the 4G iPhone in 2012. Is there any truth to this?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
At the launch event, they said this iPhone was not a 4g/LTE phone because there were design changes that they were not ready to make, and they wanted to meet demand of a product now. From that, I deduce:

The iPhone 5 rumored to be announced soon probably isn't going to be a Verizon/CDMA device, because they just announced one of those. The next Verizon iPhone device will probably be 4G/LTE, because that's the way development is headed... and, I think it will be announced in about a year, and released in about 20 months... because that's when people who sign a 2 year contract will be renew/upgrade eligible. My $0.04 :)

coltsbr

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
At the launch event, they said this iPhone was not a 4g/LTE phone because there were design changes that they were not ready to make, and they wanted to meet demand of a product now. From that, I deduce:

The iPhone 5 rumored to be announced soon probably isn't going to be a Verizon/CDMA device, because they just announced one of those. The next Verizon iPhone device will probably be 4G/LTE, because that's the way development is headed... and, I think it will be announced in about a year, and released in about 20 months... because that's when people who sign a 2 year contract will be renew/upgrade eligible. My $0.04 :)

Agreed, well worth your 4 cents! lol

Reactions: kch50428

thebizz

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I see it coming in Jun 2012 just because both Att and Verizon should have a decent amount of coverage plus it allow them time to optimize battery life with the new chips required for lte

p08757

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
June of 2012 or 2013 seems right to me. LTE is still very very young. Verizon doesn't have any telephones out that are LTE as of yet. We may see an LTE set in Feb/March

June of this year I would guess we will see a totally redesigned iPhone 5 with both a GSM and CDMA radios built in. The carriers will be able to lock out what they want, and Apple will only have to worry about making 1 type of Phone and not 2. Verizon will call it a "World Phone"

My $0.04

WyckedAnkh

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
But a VZ "world phone" only gets Edge if you can get it unlocked to a GSM carrier right? So wouldn't there still be a need for 2 versions of the iPhone?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
A potential 'world iPhone' would be much like my current Blackberry Tour - has a quad band radio, and the GSM side works on European GSM frequencies - and has a SIM in it already, albeit unactivated... and would work on Vodafone overseas, since they own a big chunk of Verizon; or - one could obtain a SIM from another GSM provider.

While it's plausible that Verizon could introduce an iPhone 5/World phone in June/July... I just don't believe it to be likely so soon after the iPhone 4 launch. Verizon is not known for things like that. If there was going to be a world iPhone on Verizon soon, it would have been announced with the iPhone 4, or would have been the VZW iPhone 4.

thebizz

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Look at the droid2 global that replaced the droid2 after what 3 months Max I could see them doing it. The Att version could be hspa+ while Verizon could get the world phone. Especially with qualcomm as their supplier

joekawasaki

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm not worried about getting a 4G capable iPhone. It will be a long time before we ever se 4G in my area if ever. We just finally got 3G! I will just be very happy to have an iPhone. I am getting tired of my Blackberry.

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Apple likes to wait and do lots of testing when they release something new thats why the first iphone was 2g when 3g was already out. Once they start testing 4g and get things working they will release a 4g phone so 2012 sounds about right.

boomhower1820

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
LTE in 2012 at the earliest. If I had to place a bet it would be on 2013. Apple moves to new technology at a glacial pace. This summer will be a dual core GSM/CDMA combo phone with some other minor goodies. Next year we may see LTE when Verizon has more coverage and AT&T begins it's rollout.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2