some noob questions
hi. i've been thinking about trying the iphone 4 but i was wondering about some things which i hope people can answer.
1. does it work well with gmail? as in it does push and synchs with gmail because it is what i use.
2. is there some sort of online backup of calendar and contacts that's done automatically like android does?
3. is it able to use the free google navigation app like the one on android? i use navigator a lot and i like that it has audible directions. or is there something similar for free for the iphone?
4. is there also a free google skymap app for the iphone? i kind of use it for school and work so it's something i'd like to have on any phone. or is there something similar for free on the iphone?
5. how's the battery life? since i can't replace it with a longer lasting battery, i hope that the battery is able to last at least 16 hours on medium/heavy use as far as apps, email, text, but not voice as much.
thanks for any info.
- 01-14-2011, 05:20 PM #2
1. Yes, Google "Google Sync" for setup instructions.
2. Yes, through Google Sync
3. There are Google Maps installed but it just finds routes and can track with GPS but it doesn't do traditional navigation. There are dozens of other GPS apps though in the app store to choose from.
4. I don't know, it might have been added to Google Earth app at some point.
5. I charge every night so as long as it makes it to then I'm fine. It can easily make it through the day.
- 01-14-2011, 09:49 PM #3
- 01-14-2011, 10:15 PM #4
- 01-14-2011, 10:28 PM #5
wow thanks for all the info. good to hear.
is that google sync for iphone work the same as in android where it just updates automatically whenever a change is made on either phone or computer?
so is that 6-8 hour usage mean it's drained by that time? because i would need it to stay alive for at least 12 hours. >_<
about google skymaps, it's different from google earth, it's an app where you point it anywhere and it will tell you what is in that part of the sky as far as constellations, stars, etc. there's an app like that for iphone you say?
the audible navigator app isn't free, is it? are there good free apps at all or are they mostly paid?
- 01-15-2011, 07:51 AM #7
Your battery life is dependent on how you use the phone so it's going to be hard to gauge from what people tell you here. I get a full day out of my phone 6AM to 12PM on one charge. I however don't have a data plan so my 3G is never on. I'm always in Wifi so my Wifi is always on. I turn my brightness down to the point where it's bright enough for me to see everything and as dim as I can stand. I don't use location services, push or notifications because I just don't need tha stuff. I browse the web(1 hr), email(30 mins), twitter(10 mins), games(30 mins), music/podcasts(2 hr), misc apps(30 mins), phone/text(2.5 hr) each day to show you my usage. I finish the day at around 60% most days. The apps there are a ton of apps just do a search in your browser and most of them will show up. It's a split between paid an free but you get what you pay for.
- 01-15-2011, 08:15 AM #8
- 01-16-2011, 12:28 AM #9