iOS on other devices?

maxer04

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I know this might sound absolutely insane, but is it too insane to thin that maybe t would be a good idea for apple to expand it's iOS on to other devices? Yes, it would be a long time before this would ever happen, due to the complexity of the OS, but would it be a decent idea? Google expanded the android OS to multiple devices and in the recent blogs by TiPb, Anatolia just surpassed iOS in the market share. I personally think this would be a good idea, your thoughts?

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Nope. Terrible idea. Why lose control? This isn't the mid-90's where pre-Jobs there was a slew of Apple licensed clones. They were horrible.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Terrible idea...Apple keeps close tabs on their development, and that is why 99.999999% of the time, the product you get from them is both WELL above par compared to other items, but also, retains the reliability we expect out of an apple product (from a mac to an iphone).

Android (google) is so much like Microsoft and Windows that i'd almost call them twins...they are in it for the money PERIOD, and there's no better way to make money then slapping your crap on everything you can see and marketing it for every person under the sun...they could give a crap if the stuff is quality, as long as there's enough of it out there to make a buck, they are satisfied...

The day Apple starts junking their name out is the day their products take a nose dive and become just as crap as anything else you can buy...and that will be a sad day because they are truly one of the last stand outs.

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
To the OP. Not to be rude but you seem to have no clue how Apple operates as a company. Apple simply put does not care about market share, never has never will. Apple cares about mindshare and making consumer products that just plain work. This is why OS X is not able to run on anything but a mac. You have to remember that Apple is an integrated company which is one of the many ways that they are different then Google or MS. Neither Google not MS make hardware and software the way that Apple does, so the only choice that they have is to licence their OS so that hardware makers can put it on a variety of devices.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
As it's been stated above, it's a horrible idea, Apple will never sell their soul, it's always been a certain way..... and this isn't it lol

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Depends. Do you mean like android, or do you mean more devices in general like a computer, or the iPods (example would be the nano or classic, where you will get the iOS UI, but no wifi or apps and such. Perhaps even an integration with a car dash board? If its that, then I could see the posssiblity, but if its like android, then no. Won't happen. They don't even allow OSX to be installed on non macs.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
There is a difference here Apple is in charge of the hardware iOS goes on iPhone, iPad, Touch those are all Apple products. This way they are in charge of the qaulity and specs. However Google with the exception of the Nexus One and Microsoft only make the OS. So the way they get it out there is to get as many manufacturers to load it on their devices. The downfall is this no one says I have a Toshiba,Dell,Sony laptop they saw I have a Windows laptop. While with Apple, there is only one Apple so if you say I have an Apple laptop that can only mean one thing. So lets say there is a wicked Toshiba laptop the problem is there are so many other Windows laptops for the same price that it doesn't get the attention and recognition so all the features get lost.

There is also no need for Apple to do that sure Android may Eclipse iOS but take a look at what Apple as a company is worth ;)

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Apple is a software company that believes the best way to make great software is by controlling the hardware. That's why they don't license Mac OS X and why they won't (under Steve Jobs at least) license iOS. It's one philosophy.

Luckily Microsoft and Google have a different one so we still get choice.

Reactions: iquinn

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2