iOS Beta 4.3 - Hotspot Question

Aerimus

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
So, I got in on the developer program and have the personal hotspot feature on my iPhone 4. However, it needs AT&T approval to be able to use? When Renee showed it off, it must have just worked because he's on a canadian carrier.

My question is mainly, is this tied to tethering? So if I call AT&T and enable tethering, will I be able to use the mobile hotspot?

Aerimus

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
So, I'll answer my own question here. In iOS 4.3, the tethering option has been combined together with the personal hotspot.

So, long story short, to use it on AT&T, the cost is going to be $15 for the internet tethering option.

On a side note, you can not pick up internet tethering without changing out your old iphone unlimted plan to the new 2gb max plan. :(

Works like a charm once you have tethering set up with AT&T though.

swooshme

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
So, I'll answer my own question here. In iOS 4.3, the tethering option has been combined together with the personal hotspot.

So, long story short, to use it on AT&T, the cost is going to be $15 for the internet tethering option.

On a side note, you can not pick up internet tethering without changing out your old iphone unlimted plan to the new 2gb max plan. :(

Oh, thats sucks. Kind of expected though. Looks like I'll be sticking with my unlimited plan and MyWi.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

Interesting, sad, but not totally surprising. For some reason AT&T is bent on limiting data usage and/or raping its customers for the privilege.

With the hot spot tethering, the possibility is there for way more data usage, but really, how many people are really going to be sucking down 5x the data via the relatively slow 3G wireless data speeds? Personally, I think AT&T is a bit deluded... but that's the way it works... and it's also why Baskin-Robins has 31 flavors - different folks with different needs/want/likes.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site

This is why I think big red will make their unlimited plan outrageous in cost or won't offer it on the iPhone ... Everyone predicts they've learned from what mistakes AT&T made in 2007 so we'll see
Oh, thats sucks. Kind of expected though. Looks like I'll be sticking with my unlimited plan and MyWi.

Yeah I will be too lol didn't think they'd allow it with unlimited

Aerimus

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Interesting, sad, but not totally surprising. For some reason AT&T is bent on limiting data usage and/or raping its customers for the privilege.

With the hot spot tethering, the possibility is there for way more data usage, but really, how many people are really going to be sucking down 5x the data via the relatively slow 3G wireless data speeds? Personally, I think AT&T is a bit deluded... but that's the way it works... and it's also why Baskin-Robins has 31 flavors - different folks with different needs/want/likes.

My issue is that I totally understand them charging for tethering with an unlimited plan....because their costs go up. However, when we are on LIMITED data plans, it's complete BS. If we use more than 2gb, our costs go up right along with theirs. It's ridiculous.

rgar3388

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
My issue is that I totally understand them charging for tethering with an unlimited plan....because their costs go up. However, when we are on LIMITED data plans, it's complete BS. If we use more than 2gb, our costs go up right along with theirs. It's ridiculous.

I agree. If they're going to charge us more for tethering, at least give us more data to go along with it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro