3GS firmware upgrade to 4.1 help please~
I am trying to upgrade my 3GS from 3.1.2(7D11) to 4.1
it is already jailbroken and when I go into Cydia, at the top it says:
SHSH: iOS 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.1
I guess this means I DID press the "make my life easier" icon at some point?
does this mean I can upgrade to 4.1?
if so, do I have to download a hacked 4.1 firmware? or just a normal one?
- 01-13-2011, 10:52 PM #2
The normal one, but you'll need to use Tiny Umbrella to do it. Follow Farbod's guide--I just did it this week and it worked perfectly.
Instructions for saving your SHSH:
1. Download and run TinyUmbrella and make sure your iDevice is detected.
2. Check “Advanced Options.”
3. Under “Device / Version,” select the firmware version you want to Save (You can only restore to versions that have SHSH saved).
4. Click on “Save my SHSH.”
5. Repeat to save other firmware hashes if you wish.
6. Now, click on “Display SHSHs.” It should listed all hashes you have saved on your computer for all your iDevices.
Instructions for restoring:
(Make sure you have saved your SHSH blob locally using method above. If not, repeat the method above for the firmware you wish to restore to.)
1. Backup iDevice in iTunes and then close iTunes.
2. Open TinyUmbrella and make sure you don't get any errors on startup or else you will need to make sure that port 80 is open and that your host file is not set to Read-Only.
3. Click on Start “TSS server,”
4. Download firmware you wish to restore to from here: iPhone/iPodTouch
5. Open iTunes and use the Shift/Option + Restore method to choose the firmware file you wish to restore to (Upgrade button cannot be used)
6. After your firmware is restored you might get a 1004 error. Not to worry, simply click “Kick Device out of Recovery” if you get it.
7. Restore Settings from Backup in iTunes and sync.
thank u so so so much,
this is exactly what I was looking for, I wonder why this information is so hard to find every time i try to upgrade,
anyway just a couple of questions:
what would be lost other than the jailbroken apps
for example, phonebook contacts? photos?
and after I upgrade to 4.1, I would be able to re-jailbreak simply by using limera1n yes?
- 01-13-2011, 11:32 PM #4
Assuming you backup before the restore, you'll keep all that. Just use that backup to restore your settings (see last step). I did have to re-sync all my app store apps from iTunes to my phone, but that was all.
I used greenpois0n for the jailbreak, but both work...I've read that GP is a bit more stable is all.