Contacts with Multiple iphones

vinnyv11

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I am going to be purchasing an iphone for my wife and myself and wanted to know how people manage there contacts. I plan on having both accounts use the same itunes login so that we will both have app purchases on each phone but I am wondering how contacts are managed. If we use the same itunes account will it save the same contacts on each phone? Is this something that is managed in your sync settings? i.e. would I just change which account to sync contacts with in the settings for syncs in itunes on each respective phone.

Reactions: lr_zuber

swooshme

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
I am going to be purchasing an iphone for my wife and myself and wanted to know how people manage there contacts. I plan on having both accounts use the same itunes login so that we will both have app purchases on each phone but I am wondering how contacts are managed. If we use the same itunes account will it save the same contacts on each phone? Is this something that is managed in your sync settings? i.e. would I just change which account to sync contacts with in the settings for syncs in itunes on each respective phone.

The answer to this most likely depends on how you use your email. For example if you have a gmail or hotmail (windows live) account, or any exchange account for that matter. You can just have it sync the contacts to your email accounts seperately and tell iTunes not to sync contacts.

Reactions: daihan123

rkbrown81

Jan 26, 2009
Visit site
My wife and I have had this problem for a long time. Just this week I decided to figure out a simple way to do it. We have a Mac and use the Address book through iTunes to sync our contacts. I just created different groups in the Address book on the Mac and then choose to only sync certain groups to my iPhone and certain groups to my wife's iPhone through the Info screen in iTunes. It works for us. I've never tried syncing my iPhone with a PC, nor do I use Outlook, so I can't say it would if you did. I'd have to imagine that there would be a way.

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
I think the easiest way to handle this would be to have two different user accounts on your computer. Then you can still each sync with Outlook or Contacts for Mac.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

jdavis530

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I think the easiest way to handle this would be to have two different user accounts on your computer. Then you can still each sync with Outlook or Contacts for Mac.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I agree. This will save you so much hassle. All I here is nightmare stories of syncing two phones to one itunes account.

shinbone

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I agree. This will save you so much hassle. All I here is nightmare stories of syncing two phones to one itunes account.

But the obvious downside to sycing 2 phones to 2 separate itunes accounts would be that you'd have to purchase apps seperately for each iPhone, even if its the same app correct?

For example, if I bought "navigon" for (50 bucks), I'd have to buy it again for the second iPhone?

douglaswilson

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I have a question as well. How do you get gmail contacts into the iphone the first time? do you have to physically connect it to your computer or is it like a droid phone and when you enter your email address it pulls all the contacts in? Thanks.

douglaswilson

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I've been reading that it is necessary to set up your gmail account as an exchange account if you want OTA syncing. Can an individual do this or do you need an IT department? Is there any information you need in order to set it up this way? I was under the impression that the only way to get OTA syncing was to have a me.com account. Can someone please shed some light on this for me? Thanks!

shinbone

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I've been reading that it is necessary to set up your gmail account as an exchange account if you want OTA syncing. Can an individual do this or do you need an IT department? Is there any information you need in order to set it up this way? I was under the impression that the only way to get OTA syncing was to have a me.com account. Can someone please shed some light on this for me? Thanks!

You can easily set up gmail as an exchange account yourself. After you set up your gmail, you can OTA sync it. Someone made a good youtube video showing how to do this:

YouTube - How to setup gmail push notification on iPhone. Easy!!! Quick!!!

Reactions: douglaswilson

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2