updating jailbroken iOS

RichyRoo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I've had my iPhone 4 jailbroken for some time now (used jailbreakme).

It's worked fine and I have a ton of apps etc that I've downloaded and got saved on the phone.

The only thing is my phone is running iOS 4.0.

I was hoping there's a quick and easy way to update my iOS (to 4.1 or whatever is the latest and greatest one), to get knew features and also download apps that require iOS 4.1 or higher.

Can anyone please help me, or give some advice as to what is the best, or only, course of action.

If possible, is there a jailbreak me version that I can use... because I know its safe and pretty risk free.

Many thanks, and I hope someone can help. :confused:

Cheers,

Rich
Newcastle, UK

jdavis530

May 18, 2010
Visit site
You will not be able to update to iOS 4.1 because Apple has stopped signing that firmware, you can only upgrade to iOS 4.2.1, which you CAN still jailbreak, but it is a tethered jailbreak, a lot different than the jailbreakme on 4.0. Before you upgrade and jailbreak 4.2.1, do a little research on tethered jailbreaks to determine if its right for you or not.

Reactions: RichyRoo

RichyRoo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks jdavis530, that's cleared up a lot of stuff that I've been reading on the net so far (finding it hard to find any clear info specific to my situation).

I will do a bit of digging and see if a tethered jailbrake it is gonna be for me.

Does anyone know if there's going to be a non-tethered solutions (like jailbreakme) out at some point... might I just hold on?

Thanks again.

Rich

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
You will not be able to update to iOS 4.1 because Apple has stopped signing that firmware, you can only upgrade to iOS 4.2.1...

Not necessarily true. All he needs are saved SHSH blobs, which he might very well have since he was already jailbroken. I just updated to 4.1 this week after being on 4.0.1 for a while, using Tiny Umbrella to sign the firmware. Then I used Greenpois0n for a JB (untethered), and voila!

OP: download Tiny Umbrella, then save your SHSH and see what it says you have. You may very well be able to update to 4.1 for an untethered JB.

swooshme

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
You can update to 4.1 if you have SHSH blobs backed up. Go to cydia and look at the top and see if it lists 4.1 among the others. You just either have to change the host file on your computer or use tiny umbrella to fool itunes into thinking it is contacting the apple servers for sign the firmware.

If you go to 4.1, limera1n is a breeze to run and jailbreak the device. I personally still am on 4.1 on my iPhone 4 until an untethered jailbreak becomes available for 4.2.1.

Last edited:

jdavis530

May 18, 2010
Visit site
If you have the blobs you can update to 4.1, but without them you can't. Seeing as how you have been on 4.0 this whole time, I dont see how you could physically have those blobs.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
You can save blobs without being on that firmware. It's just whatever Apple is signing at the moment that gets saved. That's how I got to 4.1 without ever having used it before.

jdavis530

May 18, 2010
Visit site
You can save blobs without being on that firmware. It's just whatever Apple is signing at the moment that gets saved. That's how I got to 4.1 without ever having used it before.

Learn something new everyday. This I did not know, thanks for the tip.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73