BB vs iPhone POP3 Email

TRACC

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Hi,
Not sure if these couple of questions belong on this section of the forums or the Verizon section so feel free to advise.
-I am a Verizon BB user (Storm 1 & 2) & yes it's been tough, but that's an essay all unto itself and I am very seriously considering moving to the iPhone with Verizon. I am a somewhat familiar with the iPhone having owned one for a short time a couple of years ago, but I didn't use email with the iPhone at that time. I really liked the phone, but could not use AT&T. Today email (POP3) is very important to my daily business activities and I have two accounts on my BB. I hear the iPhone works well with Exchange, but I don't really know much about the iPhone email so the first question is how does the POP3 email compare to the BB. I know the Droid uses third party apps and sometimes they can be a bit inconsistent. As a BB user I am used to hitting send and it will reach the destination email within a few seconds & visa versa. How does the iPhone compare with the speed of the BB and is it a native app on the phone.
-The other question has to do with voice dialing commands. Does the iPhone have voice activation dialing either directly or bluetooth?

Thanks for the Help.........

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I have both exchange and pop3 email coming to my iPhone and both work equally well on the phone AND in comparison to the BB. I had BIS on the BB so it's not a fair comparison, but exchange is MUCH better in the iPhone.

I don't use push with any of the email accounts though to save battery but it doesnt matter as I'm usually chained to my desk anyway.

And to answer your voice dial question.... Yes. The iPhone has an awesome voice command feature that works for music as well. You will be pleased!

TRACC

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Just to clarify.....The push feature on the iphone isn't the default option for mail so it must be set as the option of choice? Is it a true push or is it frequent polling that emulates push as that has its own issues? Also, will I get notification that I have received an email regardless of the state that the phone is in except off of course?
Thanks for your help.......

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
Just to clarify.....The push feature on the iphone isn't the default option for mail so it must be set as the option of choice? Is it a true push or is it frequent polling that emulates push as that has its own issues? Also, will I get notification that I have received an email regardless of the state that the phone is in except off of course?
Thanks for your help.......

Push is true push, but it only works with Exchange ActiveSync connections (either a real Exchange Server or if you setup a Google email account using Exchange ActiveSync) and MobileMe. It might be push with Yahoo, but I can't recall. No idea on Hotmail accounts. Push will work if there is an active Internet connection, even if your screen is off and it's in your pocket. You can have multiple "Exchange" accounts with the recent OSes.

For POP3 and standard IMAP accounts, push is not available, and it can only poll every 15 minutes at most I believe. While BlackBerry BIS did have "push" capability, when using non-Google email accounts, the server only polled your email server every 5-15 minutes and then if it found something, it would push it out to the device. Net result wasn't an instantaneous push, though. (Unless something has changed recently.) BES would push email out as it came in to whatever email service you had it configured for, but BIS was a different beast.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Yahoo has push but I hear it's flaky.

Hotmail recently introduced push ( ActiveSync/Exchange ) and it works pretty well. My fiancee uses Hotmail ( I just can't get her off it -_- ) and setup her phone to use hotmail exchange settings and it's worked great.

GMail ( GMail App for domains ) support push ( ActiveSync/Exchange ). I use this, the emails come in very quickly, and send quickly but it will all depend on where you are and your data connection to the speed at which the emails send.

I'm not sure if there are others that support ActiveSync/Exchange.

The different with iPhone mail and BB is you're not sending through the Blackberry servers, but each individual email server you use.

I try to avoid using POP3 mail, I like to have multiple copies of my mail instead of a device pulling it off my server and not being able to get a copy anywhere else but that device ( be it phone, computer, whatever ). I prefer IMAP & Exchange/ActiveSync.

porksoda

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Just to clarify there is NO PUSH with pop3... only exchange has true push... hotmail, gmail have push if you set them up as exchange.

Also pop3 is a bit flakey with iphone... this is not the case with all email servers but for some servers the iphone does not communicate well or vice versa and keeps on error-ing out.

I had issues with pop3 but with imap i have had zero issues.

thanX

p.s I came from a BB to ip4 and i do not miss the bb for anything... this phone has so many things so much more you can do beyond email, contact caledar.

I do not use push email and i do not miss the push email. If i go into the mail app it polls the server anyway.

Also voicedial works out of box and does not require training.

Overall very pleased and looking forward to the ip5 :)

Last edited:

TRACC

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I can't say exactly how BB email works with POP3, but if I email myself from my computer I will get the email on the BB within 2-3 seconds without fail. I have used BB for over two years now and it has always been this way for me. I just got off the phone with Apple tech support and asked the very question I posted here and their repsonse was that the iPhone 4 will push the email the instant it receives one if that option is chosen on the phone. I asked again and he again verified that the mail delivery is immediate when set up that way. I also asked if it is polling at very short intervals and he said no it is pushing. I don't think it is actually pushing, but my greatest concern is to get the mail within seconds and he assured me of that. He also told me that I will get an email notification regardless of the state of the phone as long as it's turned on. If anyone disagrees with what the tech said please let me know as I am going to move to the iPhone if the mail works as the tech person told me. I will be calling Apple back to verify again just to be sure. I prefer not to use Gmail, Yahoo or the others for my business accounts for a variety of reasons.
Appreciate all of your feedback............

porksoda

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
its all misinformation...

there is no push with pop3 anywhere in the world... pop3 protocol is on a poll basis it has no way to push.

With bb you can use BIS and use forwarding to get true push... with pop3 bis polls pop3 server every 15-20 mins then pushes it over.

the only way to get push would be EXCHANGE. Or a third party service that supports exchange/activesync.

I can't say exactly how BB email works with POP3, but if I email myself from my computer I will get the email on the BB within 2-3 seconds without fail. I have used BB for over two years now and it has always been this way for me. I just got off the phone with Apple tech support and asked the very question I posted here and their repsonse was that the iPhone 4 will push the email the instant it receives one if that option is chosen on the phone. I asked again and he again verified that the mail delivery is immediate when set up that way. I also asked if it is polling at very short intervals and he said no it is pushing. I don't think it is actually pushing, but my greatest concern is to get the mail within seconds and he assured me of that. He also told me that I will get an email notification regardless of the state of the phone as long as it's turned on. If anyone disagrees with what the tech said please let me know as I am going to move to the iPhone if the mail works as the tech person told me. I will be calling Apple back to verify again just to be sure. I prefer not to use Gmail, Yahoo or the others for my business accounts for a variety of reasons.
Appreciate all of your feedback............

TRACC

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
From reading up on PO3 and push and hearing from all of you it is certain that POP3 isn't push at all as push is server initiated. That being said I do receive my emails almost instantaneously since I've had my BB and I'm not too clear from speaking with GoDaddy or Verizon why it is so. I can't explain it, but that is how it is. My mail is hosted by GoDaddy (POP3) and they said it is quite normal today that mail is received very quickly if you have a good signal and a solid provider. The person I spoke with at GoDaddy had a BB and now has an iPhone and did use POP3 and had no issues. She now uses GoDaddy's Exchange Server. She said I shouldn't have any problems using the POP3 with the iPhone with regard to the speed of receiving emails as it should be similar to the BB and POP3.
Again Thanks for the feedback............

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
From reading up on PO3 and push and hearing from all of you it is certain that POP3 isn't push at all as push is server initiated. That being said I do receive my emails almost instantaneously since I've had my BB and I'm not too clear from speaking with GoDaddy or Verizon why it is so. I can't explain it, but that is how it is. My mail is hosted by GoDaddy (POP3) and they said it is quite normal today that mail is received very quickly if you have a good signal and a solid provider. The person I spoke with at GoDaddy had a BB and now has an iPhone and did use POP3 and had no issues. She now uses GoDaddy's Exchange Server. She said I shouldn't have any problems using the POP3 with the iPhone with regard to the speed of receiving emails as it should be similar to the BB and POP3.
Again Thanks for the feedback............

You receive your emails quickly bc it is the BB servers polling your email server pulling the email off it and delivering it to your device. It has little to do with GoDaddy or Verizon at that point.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
That makes sense....Thanks. Do you think that the iPhone will have similar capabilities?

If you sign up for MobileMe it will do that. Otherwise you'll have to see if your mail accounts support Exchange/ActiveSync to have the "nearly instant" delivery to your device.

porksoda

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
That makes sense....Thanks. Do you think that the iPhone will have similar capabilities?

on bb... the bis polls the pop3 12-15 mins.... your email should not be instant on bb... unless its set as exchange on bb i.e bes or you are using @blackberry email or you are forwarding your email to @blackberry email.

TRACC

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I can only tell you what is happening and has been since owning my BB Storms. Each one and I 've had a few all received and continue to receive emails within moments. I signed up for this forum yesterday and as soon as I hit submit my BB had the welcome email. I have my own Domain so it's not @blackberry.com and I don't think you can randomly choose BES unless you have a relationship with a Blackberry Server which I don't. I'm using a standard POP3 through GoDaddy and have Comcast as my ISP. Maybe I just got lucky somehow. In fact my son has a BB too and his works the same way.
Regarding the Exchange/ActiveSync GoDaddy does offer Exchange/Sync for short money each month which is an option should the iPhone not respond as my BB's have.
Again thanks for all your input it has helped alot........Great Forum!

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I can only tell you what is happening and has been since owning my BB Storms. Each one and I 've had a few all received and continue to receive emails within moments. I signed up for this forum yesterday and as soon as I hit submit my BB had the welcome email. I have my own Domain so it's not @blackberry.com and I don't think you can randomly choose BES unless you have a relationship with a Blackberry Server which I don't. I'm using a standard POP3 through GoDaddy and have Comcast as my ISP. Maybe I just got lucky somehow. In fact my son has a BB too and his works the same way.
Regarding the Exchange/ActiveSync GoDaddy does offer Exchange/Sync for short money each month which is an option should the iPhone not respond as my BB's have.
Again thanks for all your input it has helped alot........Great Forum!

Since you have your own domain, I suggest going the route I have.

- registered my own domain via GoDaddy
- host my domain on GoDaddy
- host my mail via Google Apps for Domains - gives you complete control over your users, gives them access to mail, google docs, shared contacts, calendars and more all under your domain ( example mail.yourdomain.com )

It's been awesome for me.

TRACC

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Is there a gmail account requirement and does it have any influence over anything related to your email/domain and is there a cost?

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
Unless GoDaddy has some sort of arrangement with RIM/BlackBerry (like Google does), I don't know how things are instantaneously arriving on your BB. POP3 is a poll type service, and my last experience with BIS and POP3 had up to a 15 minute delay. Even connecting to Exchange OWA via BIS results in up to a 15 minute delay based on current observations at a client. I'm stumped.

TRACC

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I have no idea how it is working as it is. When I spoke with GoDaddy today I asked if they had anything to do with the speed of my receiving emails and they said no. In fact your post's timestamp is 9:15 and the email I received from this forum, hit my BB with a 9:15 time as well so I received it almost instantly which is what happens with almost all emails.

porksoda

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
you probably have a pointer/forward to your bis account from godaddy.

easy way to check is to see the mail icon and see what address it reads... go to the full menu not shortcut.

We have almost all non-bes users using foward to bis and then using bis server for outgoing you just add spf range to your domain record to authorize bis for mail delivery.

In any case with IP pop3 email wont be instant... you will have to use exchange/activesync to get full push... whether it be via google a 3rd party server or apples me service.

Apple nerds have a bad habit of basing their universe from apple's me service. i.e if you ask do you get full push email. Yes its full push... they don't tell you its a paid service... it's apples version of exchange, i am not too familiar with it but from what i hear that's what it does.

Last edited:

TRACC

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I am seriously thinking of using GoDaddy's service as I have been very happy with their products and especially their tech support if I do move to the iPhone and experience email delay as it is critical for me to receive mail on my phone within a few seconds after it being sent to me. big9erfan recommends Google so I will look into to that as well, but I am not sure I want to work within their environment.
When you mention to check the mail icon can you explain this further. Is this the sender's email address or the mail icon in the Windows Control Panel or something else altogether?

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro