Who is going to pay full retail?

VZiPhoneFinally

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
So now that the VZ iPhone is out and unfortunately current VZ customers can only upgrade to it if their contract is almost up, how many of you are willing to pay full retail? ($600 for 16GB compared to $200 with contract). I am personally on the fence, I have waited for a long time to get an iPhone on Verizon but $600 is a lot of money...

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
I paid almost full retail for my Rogers iPhone 4 almost every year since their upgrade policy was terrible and I was on a 3 year contract. This year I did pay full retail for an unlocked iPhone from Apple just to break the cycle.

I figured even $600 is just $50 a month for 12 months, which is about $12 a week, or $2 a day and I use my iPhone so much that's easily worth it.

VZiPhoneFinally

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I like the $2 per day thinking Rene! I would definitely say it was worth it if VZ wasn't going to be getting another iPhone this year, but another iPhone may be coming out for VZ in June/July and thats only a few months down the road..

shinbone

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
...I figured even $600 is just $50 a month for 12 months, which is about $12 a week, or $2 a day and I use my iPhone so much that's easily worth it.

Nice "justification math" Rene :D

Unfortunately, I'm gonna have to pay full retail ($700.00 for a 32g?) if I want one now. My "upgrade" isn't til October . . . . way too long to wait. (Wife won't be too happy . . . I'm getting one . . . she'll get over it!)

thinkTwice

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Nice "justification math" Rene :D

Unfortunately, I'm gonna have to pay full retail ($700.00 for a 32g?) if I want one now. My "upgrade" isn't til October . . . . way too long to wait. (Wife won't be too happy . . . I'm getting one . . . she'll get over it!)

Well this will make u feel better then... I'm eligible for the discounted price on nov. 27th... Boo.

Well I'm using the $300 as an excuse to wait for the iphone 5.

You can also try to sell ur phones too.

But I'm on a family plan- my mom might be eligible so maybe I can do a switch-a-roo- I buy the iPhone under my mom's account and switch phones.

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
But I'm on a family plan- my mom might be eligible so maybe I can do a switch-a-roo- I buy the iPhone under my mom's account and switch phones.

I've done this every year since we got our Family NE2 plan a few years ago XD This year will be tricky because we have to beat the Jan 16th deadline (my mom's eligible for the upgrade price but her official date is in April) and so I'd have to go in on like, the 15th, grab a random phone, wait until Feb 4 and preorder... gah it's cutting it close... I may just wait until April, and then wait until June... sigh.

If i had 600 smackeroos lying around I would jump on this like syrup on a pancake :D But I'm graduating college in May and it's probably unwise to make such a purchase...

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
im going to pay full retail had some old phones laying around i sold that made up for the cost and i dont like being tied into contracts and i figure i will keep this iphone for awhile and if a new iphone comes out then i can sell the iphone 4 and only have to pay a small amount towards the new one

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Dont take this as gospel. If you are a verizon customer and meet certain criteria you can upgrade after one year instead of 2.

The Customer Experience

"You can get a new phone every year with Annual Upgrade. Sign up for a 2-year agreement on a calling plan of at least $49.99 and you can purchase a new phone at its promotional price through My Verizon every year with a 2-year renewal (upgrade fee may apply)."

The $49.99 price is for a single line or its family plan equivalent if I am not mistaken.

Come Jan 16, Verizon is shelving NE2 and Annual upgrades. From what I have been told, existing verizon customers are grandfathered on these promotions until they use them, then they're gone.

The Annual Upgrade is not available online, you will only see your NE2 date. You have to call CS to find out your Annual Upgrade date. Ironically, at least for me, if I go to Apple.com and check my upgrade eligibility for verizon customers, it gives me the discounted price, which I am entitled to as I have been eligible for via Annual Upgrade since December.

Remember, if you use the Annual Upgrade: 1) you are signing a new 2-year contract 2) your NE2 will be gone... gone for good.

durangojim#AC

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
What I've done for the last couple of years is just purchase the phone on a 1 year contract. It's usually $30-70 more than a 2 year but lets you upgrade in 10 months. Hopefully VZW will let us do this with the iphone.

Scout_313

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I'll be paying full retail as soon as I possibly can. I'm hoping to get $300 out of the Droid Pro with high capacity batter and charging dock that I currently have to offset some of the cost.

soccerzach

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm definitely paying full price. I have done it with so many phones already that I might as well with this one too. It will probably stick around long enough to make it worth the purchase anyway. Plus if something new does come out next year I will still have my upgrade and can use it for that.

Reactions: shipwrestler125

nuckinfutz220

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I guess i will be paying full price!

I guess i will be paying full price. I am on a family plan that says my number is eligible the end of June 2011. I am confused on the annual upgrade though. I recevied an offer to upgrade a few months back but declined and bought a Droid Inc without contract off Ebay. It no longer shows i have the upgrade and the eligibility checker says i cant get the discount untill the end of June. I can sell my Droid Inc and all my accessories and make up most of the money but I will prob just call CS and see if there is any way I am eligible just to check, and if not........i guess i'll wait untill June........*sigh

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I guess i will be paying full price. I am on a family plan that says my number is eligible the end of June 2011. I am confused on the annual upgrade though. I recevied an offer to upgrade a few months back but declined and bought a Droid Inc without contract off Ebay. It no longer shows i have the upgrade and the eligibility checker says i cant get the discount untill the end of June. I can sell my Droid Inc and all my accessories and make up most of the money but I will prob just call CS and see if there is any way I am eligible just to check, and if not........i guess i'll wait untill June........*sigh

The eligibility check on Verizon's site will only show your 2 year upgrade, not Annual Upgrade. Call CS to see if you have an AU.

coltsbr

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The eligibility check on Verizon's site will only show your 2 year upgrade, not Annual Upgrade. Call CS to see if you have an AU.

The main number on the account is eligible for a new upgrade once a year and the extra lines can only do that every two years.

bmxfreak995

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Since i have bought the last couple phones ive had on craigslist i have a upgrade waiting for me. But if i didnt i would easily pay full price. Also if you have a family share plan, i dont know how much longer verizon will run this (prob get rid of it before the iphone comes out) but smartphones talk free. just add another line to your exisiting family share plan and youll be able to pay 199 for a new iphone.

Joe..Cool

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
I will be paying full price on this one. Switched to Verizon just before Christmas. I need to sell our old iPhones, 3 phones total, 200-300 dollars. Plus, I am waiting for rebates for the new ones we just bought about 300.00. So I should be set, just need to decide 16GB or 32GB

Boomer43

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Other than not being locked into a two year contract, are there any other reasons, advantages to buying the iPhone outright?

Roland

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh