Simultaneous Voice & Data

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
To anyone that thinks this is a big deal/deal breaker:

Current CDMA smartphone users do not have this ability now - so, for them, it's much ado over nothing. And for those people who have CDMA smartphones and also need an always available data connection - they have and use data solutions that are not centered on their smartphone.

There are plenty of Verizon users, like myself, that have grown tired of their current device, (mine a BB Tour) and are unimpressed by any of the Droid offerings... we will now have another choice besides Palm, or a Windblows phone :D

Just sayin'. :)

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Most pros that I know that need simultaneous Voice & Data use a Mifi device, even if their phone allows simultaneous Voice & Data.

As an enthusiast, its nice, but not a deal breaker for me.

kittykatta

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I've been on CDMA for over a decade (Sprint) so the lack of simultaneous voice/data isnt a big deal.... BUT, one thing I could see it being really handy for is Hotspot + Talk. It would stink to have your hotspot connection broken just because you got a phonecall.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I've been on CDMA for over a decade (Sprint) so the lack of simultaneous voice/data isnt a big deal.... BUT, one thing I could see it being really handy for is Hotspot + Talk. It would stink to have your hotspot connection broken just because you got a phonecall.

Right now, if you tethered a smart phone, your data connections would "pause" while on a call... so there's really no change there.

And, you could use Skype or Google Phone via a laptop or computer connected via the hotspot and have simultaneous voice & data :)

anon4705193

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
After using the Blackberry which never had simultaneous voice and data, I doubt I'd even notice. And if anything, I still have an iPod touch I can always use if I want to be on the phone and simultaneously look up something data-wise away from home.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
You guys miss one point, we're not talking about long time, tech knowledgable people. We are talking general masses who don't even know the difference between CDMA and GSM. All they're gonna know is their friend on AT&T can do it so how come I can't? It's also not a case of needing to use it it's a case of not having it, this is a human trait, just like MMS there was a witch hunt because there was no MMS and now that it's there who really uses it? So to you it's not a big deal but what about joe schmo who leaves AT&T because VZ is the iPhone on a better network then damn he realizes he can't look up driving directions, restaurant info, etc while he's on the phone with his girlfriend?

Slapnpop826

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The CDMA development group is reporting that simultaneous voice and data is coming to CDMA the first half of this year. Hopefully this was taken into account when they designed the iphone for verizon.

tjrtjrtjr

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I like to think I know what's going on with this stuff, but I don't. Here's my question:

If I'm home on my WiFi network, and I get a call, while I'm taking that call will I be able to utilize WiFi to do stuff like looking up e-mails and movie times and Twitter and all the other things?

When they say "voice and data" it makes me think data=3g, but am I understanding it wrong?

It definitely won't be a dealbreaker to me if I can use WiFi while talking.

Slapnpop826

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I like to think I know what's going on with this stuff, but I don't. Here's my question:

If I'm home on my WiFi network, and I get a call, while I'm taking that call will I be able to utilize WiFi to do stuff like looking up e-mails and movie times and Twitter and all the other things?

When they say "voice and data" it makes me think data=3g, but am I understanding it wrong?

It definitely won't be a dealbreaker to me if I can use WiFi while talking.

You can use voice and wifi with CDMA. so you will be able to talk and surf if you are connected to wifi.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Kind of a #$#%rigged aZZ way if you ask me..
It it what it is - that's the only way it works.

CDMA smartphone users that find always available data connections are essential already have, or had data solutions to meet those needs even before getting a smart phone.

Nebulosity

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
People still call other people?? Other than my GF I literally never talk to anyone on the phone anymore. (and I'm working on breaking that habit of hers also) I realize that people talk to others for business and their professional life, but I don't know many people who actually talk on a telephone anymore for personal use. The vast majority of my communicating is now done thru SMS with email a very distant second. I can't think of when I was ever talking to someone on the phone and simultaneously needed to look up information such as directions or something else with the web. I'm sure others are different as everyone uses there phone differently, but for me personally this is 100% not an issue whatsoever.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
People still call other people?? Other than my GF I literally never talk to anyone on the phone anymore. (and I'm working on breaking that habit of hers also) I realize that people talk to others for business and their professional life, but I don't know many people who actually talk on a telephone anymore for personal use. The vast majority of my communicating is now done thru SMS with email a very distant second. I can't think of when I was ever talking to someone on the phone and simultaneously needed to look up information such as directions or something else with the web. I'm sure others are different as everyone uses there phone differently, but for me personally this is 100% not an issue whatsoever.

I on the other hand never use SMS to talk to anyone I actually know. I find it so inpersonal. I prefer voice because feelings, opinions, sarcasm, etc get communicated so much clearly.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2