- 01-10-2011, 11:34 AM #2
- 01-10-2011, 11:38 AM #3
Good question. I am wondering this too. I am a newbie when it comes to Apple products (and a newbie to these boards too). But have been with Verizon for 10+ years. I am looking to see what you experts think about jumping to the Verizon iPhone or if you all think it would be prudent to wait for a possible new model later in the year.
- 01-10-2011, 11:44 AM #4
- 01-10-2011, 12:08 PM #5
- 01-10-2011, 12:18 PM #6
I dont think i can wait. Ill be one of those people waiting in line for this. Im in a good position though because im on a family plan where i can use my brothers upgrade in a couple months since he dosnt care about new phones (stupid i know). Also if the verizon iphone is lte, game over..ill be good for 2 years.
- 01-10-2011, 12:22 PM #7
I'm in a Verizon area that will probably not see LTE coverage until sometime in the last half of their roll-out plan, so if it's a CDMA only phone, I'll have the same 3G coverage I have now on my BB Tour... and if it's LTE ready, then I'll be good when it rolls out in my area - looks WIN-WIN. I'll pre-order online from Apple, or Verizon - depending on who's web site will let me do it first
- 01-10-2011, 12:35 PM #8
It will be interesting to see if Verizon/Apple comments tomorrow on the possible release of an iPhone5 in the normal time frame of June/July this year which would be an upgrade over what is announced tomorrow and released in February. May be that the Verizon version does its annual upgrade in February each year and GSM stays on its course.
- 01-10-2011, 12:51 PM #9
LTE, no way
Although I would love the iPhone to be LTE, there is no way apple would bite on that. The radios are way too big still and that would have involved significant design changes. Also, it would kill the iPhone 4's awesome battery life.
- 01-10-2011, 01:16 PM #10iPhone Newbie
- 17 Posts
I will definitely be buying it as soon as its available for pre-order. I'm one of those people who is locked into a contract with the original Droid, but am not happy with it and will happily be paying full price for the Verizon iPhone, Plus I do have a $250 Apple gift card that I got for xmas, I've been waiting for this to happen for what seems like forever!
- 01-10-2011, 01:29 PM #11
- 01-10-2011, 03:41 PM #12
I know there will be an iPhone 5 come the summer, but that could be like the difference from 3G to 3Gs, minor in terms of upgrade, and then in 2012 get the iPhone 6, which, by then, will likely be LTE.
Plus, there is no promise if we get a ViP4 tomorrow that iP5 goes to Verizon in the summer.
- 01-10-2011, 11:44 PM #13
My NE2 is up at the end of April, so as long as the rumors point to V getting the iP5 in June I'll wait. If the phone announced at 11am is LTE capable or the rumors point to V not getting the June update, I'm waking up the day my plan is up and going straight to Verizon, no matter the day's plans
- 01-11-2011, 05:44 AM #14
Officially, nobody is going to start talking about a iPhone 5 tomorrow or anytime before June. If they do, they might as well spend a few minutes on why consumers should NOT buy the Verizon iPhone now during the announcement.
No, if you're going to get the iPhone now, you're going in blind.
Maybe they cut some deal between Verizon and AT&T to hold off on the iPhone 5 until next year, maybe the Verizon version will be sold this time next year, maybe in December, who knows?
There is one advantage to buying this for a subset of users- it will most likely be CDMA, and thus cheaper data plans vs. a LTE iPhone. Given that the network is still not fully deployed, it would make sense to get this, wait a year or two until the network is fully deployed before jumping ship to LTE. Maybe the iPhone 5 will be LTE? Then I would be more pissed that I didn't get the CDMA iPhone 4...
Last edited by thinkTwice; 01-11-2011 at 06:00 AM.
- 01-11-2011, 06:17 AM #15
- 01-11-2011, 08:19 AM #16
- 01-11-2011, 08:32 AM #17
I'm not concerned with lte at the moment, sure I would love those insanely fast speeds but it won't be in my area till the end of 2011 anyways. So I will be pre-ordering it as soon as it becomes avalible. Also I have two more upgrades in june so if a new iphone comes out and I need it I can have that option too.
Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
- 01-11-2011, 08:39 AM #18
- 01-11-2011, 08:45 AM #19
I'm definately getting one for my wife, but I'm not so sure for myself. I've had an Android device since the original Droid was released, and have had an Incredible since the end of April. I can see how iOS is more polished, but the things I use my Incredible for are 1. as a Phone, I love the fact that I can put shortcuts to individual people for calls or texts right on my home screen 2. surfing the web, I like that I can use flash, although not that often 3. Gmail, 4. Maps, I love Google maps and find it invaluable while traveling. All that being said, I will probably get an iPhone soon as I cracked the screen on my Incredible two weeks ago and have been waiting to see what was announced at CES. If the iPhone isn't for me I'll just sell it and get a Bionic this summer.
- 01-11-2011, 08:48 AM #20
- 01-11-2011, 08:53 AM #21iPhone Newbie
- 24 Posts
I'm planning on getting one ASAP, but my new every 2 contract isnt up until 4/5/2011. I wonder if Verizon will be easing those restrictions, similar to what has happened before with new phones being launched. I'm guessing we will find out in an hour! If the restrictions are not lifted then I will definitely be waiting for 5.
- 01-11-2011, 09:00 AM #22
I've had 2 BlackBerry's, 2 Android Phones, currently using the DroidX. I live in an area where I probably won't see Verizon LTE until 2013. If Verizon keeps their current structure and cost for 3G data, and they end up charging extra for LTE and possibly put a cap on the amount of data one can use with LTE, I will strongly consider getting a Verizon 3G iPhone on a 1 year contract.
I have an upgrade ready to use on one of my lines, and 1 year will give Verizon enough time to roll out LTE in my area. I don't want to upgrade to an LTE phone where I have to pay extra, and don't have the service.
I can always switch between the DroidX and the iPhone while I wait, so I will have the best of both worlds.
- 01-11-2011, 09:46 AM #23
- 01-11-2011, 09:47 AM #24
- 01-11-2011, 10:47 AM #25