Get Now or Wait?

Nebulosity

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm planning on getting one ASAP, but my new every 2 contract isnt up until 4/5/2011. I wonder if Verizon will be easing those restrictions, similar to what has happened before with new phones being launched. I'm guessing we will find out in an hour! If the restrictions are not lifted then I will definitely be waiting for 5.

p08757

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
I've had 2 BlackBerry's, 2 Android Phones, currently using the DroidX. I live in an area where I probably won't see Verizon LTE until 2013. If Verizon keeps their current structure and cost for 3G data, and they end up charging extra for LTE and possibly put a cap on the amount of data one can use with LTE, I will strongly consider getting a Verizon 3G iPhone on a 1 year contract.

I have an upgrade ready to use on one of my lines, and 1 year will give Verizon enough time to roll out LTE in my area. I don't want to upgrade to an LTE phone where I have to pay extra, and don't have the service.

I can always switch between the DroidX and the iPhone while I wait, so I will have the best of both worlds.

vinnyv11

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I'll probably buy mine immediately and then give it the wife when the new one comes out. Kill two birds with one stone as i'll have the most updated technology and my wife will have an iphone.

vinnyv11

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm planning on getting one ASAP, but my new every 2 contract isnt up until 4/5/2011. I wonder if Verizon will be easing those restrictions, similar to what has happened before with new phones being launched. I'm guessing we will find out in an hour! If the restrictions are not lifted then I will definitely be waiting for 5.

I'm 100% with you. AT&T did it for the iphone 4 and Verizon did it for the droid so I don't see any reason that they don't allow early upgardes if your upgrade is anytime in 2011.

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm 100% with you. AT&T did it for the iphone 4 and Verizon did it for the droid so I don't see any reason that they don't allow early upgardes if your upgrade is anytime in 2011.

The announcement by Verizon that, starting January 16th, all VZW customers with the NE2 plan MUST wait 20 months to upgrade at the discount makes me believe the early upgrade isn't possible :( But who knows maybe I'm wrong (and I sure hope I am!)

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
The announcement by Verizon that, starting January 16th, all VZW customers with the NE2 plan MUST wait 20 months to upgrade at the discount makes me believe the early upgrade isn't possible :( But who knows maybe I'm wrong (and I sure hope I am!)

As of right now my contract is over June 6, 2011. I am in the same boat, but I am the primary line so I habe the ability to early upgrade. So I emailed Verizon the other day, here is my email:

This question is in regards to your new 2 year policy as seen here:
http://www.androidcentral.com/sites...articleimage/684/2011/01/verizon-upgrades.PNG
With the recent announcements of the Verizon iPhone , Verizon Finally Lands the iPhone - WSJ.com, it seems that this new policy of not being able to upgrade between the months of 13 and 20 will be an issue for many people much like myself. I have 5 months remaining on my phone. If the "rumors" are true and the iPhone comes out for Verizon the last weekend of the month, AppleInsider | Apple restricting employee vacations as first 2011 products loom , this will be after the new policy date of January 16. Does this mean I can't upgrade to a new phone until February 6th? When i am in month 20? This does not seem very fair to those who have a primary line and have the ability to early upgrade. And we know a product this big will be sold out in a matter of days.
I have been a long time customer of Verizon, but the new changes seem to punish the customer due to the fact they have a 2 year contract. It seems that I would have to wait longer than I should due to a new policy that was entered after the beginning of my current contract. This also leads me to believe that a 1 year contract would be ideal.
Please clarify the new policy and how it will affect me and my upgrade.
Thank you for you help,

Verizon replied in 24 hours with this:

Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless via our Website, my name is Keith. I will be happy to assist you with your questions regarding our upgrade policy.

Mr. XXXXX, at this time we have not been provided any information regarding the upgrade policy. I will be unable to address your questions prior to being provided additional information (this will be later this week). At this time it is unclear as to if the policy will be going forward from the 16th or in regards to all accounts starting on the 16th. The annual upgrade promotion was a added benefit that we provided to customers.

To upgrade your phone or make changes on your account, please visit our website at Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans, 4G LTE network with the Best Cell Phone Service - Verizon Wireless.

I make it my personal goal to resolve all of your wireless concerns. I hope I have done that for you today by providing you with information regarding our upgrade policy. We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless.

Sincerely,

Keith
Verizon Wireless
Customer Service

So I hope its for new people and people like me will be grandfathered in.

Crazy Yankee

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I just got my X in August or September (sorry can't remember), and I don't think I am dishing out $600 for one outside of my contract. :-( I have wanted this phone for way too long, so I am excited! However, I also want to see about the next version. I would hate to pay all that now and in 5 or 6 months a new one is released.

shinbone

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I just got my X in August or September (sorry can't remember), and I don't think I am dishing out $600 for one outside of my contract. :-( I have wanted this phone for way too long, so I am excited! However, I also want to see about the next version. I would hate to pay all that now and in 5 or 6 months a new one is released.

I'm in the "same boat" as you . . I'm sure alot of people are facing same issue. I'm not due for replacement until October, but I WANT MY iPhone NOW!!!! I just may have to pi$$ off the wife and spend $700.00 bucks for one :D

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm out of contract with my BB Tour.... so I'm going to get one. The area I live in will get Verizon LTE/4G by the time I'll be eligible for my next upgrade.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I have a feeling the 5 will not be available on Big Red this summer when att releases or you will have a lot of upset people who just signed new 2 year contracts. I bet the take care of GSM first and CDMA will come later

Vorpal279

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm a little confused. According to my Verizon Account, I'm not eligible for an upgrade until May. However, when I go to Apple's webpage to see if I'm eligible for it, it says I can purchase it for the discount price. Also, I tried ordering a random Droid on Verizon's Website, and it offered it to me for the discounted price as well. Hopefully that means I can upgrade early.

kittykatta

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
It really does suck that there's a new limbo for Apple Customers to get stuck in again. For a long time (YEARS) many people held off on getting an ATT iPhone because "Verizon is just around the corner". And now that its finally here then the big question of whether or not we'll get a Verizon iPhone 5 is something we should wait for.

My feeling is that the iPhone 5 is going to be an incremental upgrade like the 3G to 3GS so Verizon may skip the iPhone 5 and everything will sync up again in Jun 2012 for the iPhone VI.

thinkTwice

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Am I getting it? Hell no.

Before nov 27, the 32gb will cost me $700... Afterwards, it will be $300.
So by way of price, I'll wait. Which is not a bad thing- now I can wait for the iphone 5. But I hope the iPhone 5 is not lte... It's not fully rolled out, more expensive, and I'm fine with the cdma performance.

WyckedAnkh

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I am definitely anxious to get one but I'm torn between getting one now and waiting til the summer. I don't want to wait til the summer only to find out that it's the iPhone 4S or something.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrytg4