Get Now or Wait?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to take a good look at what is announced tomorrow... if it's a CDMA and LTE capable, I'll jump instantly.

daihan123

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Good question. I am wondering this too. I am a newbie when it comes to Apple products (and a newbie to these boards too). But have been with Verizon for 10+ years. I am looking to see what you experts think about jumping to the Verizon iPhone or if you all think it would be prudent to wait for a possible new model later in the year.

bmxfreak995

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I dont think i can wait. Ill be one of those people waiting in line for this. Im in a good position though because im on a family plan where i can use my brothers upgrade in a couple months since he dosnt care about new phones (stupid i know). Also if the verizon iphone is lte, game over..ill be good for 2 years.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm in a Verizon area that will probably not see LTE coverage until sometime in the last half of their roll-out plan, so if it's a CDMA only phone, I'll have the same 3G coverage I have now on my BB Tour... and if it's LTE ready, then I'll be good when it rolls out in my area - looks WIN-WIN. I'll pre-order online from Apple, or Verizon - depending on who's web site will let me do it first :)

mdlissner

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
It will be interesting to see if Verizon/Apple comments tomorrow on the possible release of an iPhone5 in the normal time frame of June/July this year which would be an upgrade over what is announced tomorrow and released in February. May be that the Verizon version does its annual upgrade in February each year and GSM stays on its course.

cms365

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
LTE, no way

Although I would love the iPhone to be LTE, there is no way apple would bite on that. The radios are way too big still and that would have involved significant design changes. Also, it would kill the iPhone 4's awesome battery life.

jwiggs23

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I will definitely be buying it as soon as its available for pre-order. I'm one of those people who is locked into a contract with the original Droid, but am not happy with it and will happily be paying full price for the Verizon iPhone, Plus I do have a $250 Apple gift card that I got for xmas, I've been waiting for this to happen for what seems like forever!

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I dont think i can wait. Ill be one of those people waiting in line for this. Im in a good position though because im on a family plan where i can use my brothers upgrade in a couple months since he dosnt care about new phones (stupid i know). Also if the verizon iphone is lte, game over..ill be good for 2 years.

I will be right behind you. I gave up last June and got a Palm Pre Plus. It is ok, but I use it less and less and the mobile hotspot feature with my iPod touch more and more. I'll see what I can do to not have to pay more than an upgrade price, but who knows.

I know there will be an iPhone 5 come the summer, but that could be like the difference from 3G to 3Gs, minor in terms of upgrade, and then in 2012 get the iPhone 6, which, by then, will likely be LTE.

Plus, there is no promise if we get a ViP4 tomorrow that iP5 goes to Verizon in the summer.

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
My NE2 is up at the end of April, so as long as the rumors point to V getting the iP5 in June I'll wait. If the phone announced at 11am is LTE capable or the rumors point to V not getting the June update, I'm waking up the day my plan is up and going straight to Verizon, no matter the day's plans :D

thinkTwice

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Officially, nobody is going to start talking about a iPhone 5 tomorrow or anytime before June. If they do, they might as well spend a few minutes on why consumers should NOT buy the Verizon iPhone now during the announcement.

No, if you're going to get the iPhone now, you're going in blind.
Maybe they cut some deal between Verizon and AT&T to hold off on the iPhone 5 until next year, maybe the Verizon version will be sold this time next year, maybe in December, who knows?

There is one advantage to buying this for a subset of users- it will most likely be CDMA, and thus cheaper data plans vs. a LTE iPhone. Given that the network is still not fully deployed, it would make sense to get this, wait a year or two until the network is fully deployed before jumping ship to LTE. Maybe the iPhone 5 will be LTE? Then I would be more pissed that I didn't get the CDMA iPhone 4...

Last edited:

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I read somewhere, can't remember where, that a LTE iPhone will most likely be the iPhone 6 and not 5 due to 4G not being 100% up and running untill 2012.....

fcortese

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm in a Verizon area that will probably not see LTE coverage until sometime in the last half of their roll-out plan, so if it's a CDMA only phone, I'll have the same 3G coverage I have now on my BB Tour... and if it's LTE ready, then I'll be good when it rolls out in my area - looks WIN-WIN. I'll pre-order online from Apple, or Verizon - depending on who's web site will let me do it first :)

I'm in the same situation, so I'll get my hands on one as fast as possible. Already alerted my local outset to reserve on for me as soon as they come in.

Seymour324

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm not concerned with lte at the moment, sure I would love those insanely fast speeds but it won't be in my area till the end of 2011 anyways. So I will be pre-ordering it as soon as it becomes avalible. Also I have two more upgrades in june so if a new iphone comes out and I need it I can have that option too.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

traumaboy

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Iphone on verizon

I have 10 months left on my resent contact I'm buying it new without contact now then I can use my upgrade for the new one when they release it this summer'

durangojim#AC

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm definately getting one for my wife, but I'm not so sure for myself. I've had an Android device since the original Droid was released, and have had an Incredible since the end of April. I can see how iOS is more polished, but the things I use my Incredible for are 1. as a Phone, I love the fact that I can put shortcuts to individual people for calls or texts right on my home screen 2. surfing the web, I like that I can use flash, although not that often 3. Gmail, 4. Maps, I love Google maps and find it invaluable while traveling. All that being said, I will probably get an iPhone soon as I cracked the screen on my Incredible two weeks ago and have been waiting to see what was announced at CES. If the iPhone isn't for me I'll just sell it and get a Bionic this summer.

durangojim#AC

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Officially, nobody is going to start talking about a iPhone 5 tomorrow or anytime before June. If they do, they might as well spend a few minutes on why consumers should NOT buy the Verizon iPhone now during the announcement.

No, if you're going to get the iPhone now, you're going in blind.
Maybe they cut some deal between Verizon and AT&T to hold off on the iPhone 5 until next year, maybe the Verizon version will be sold this time next year, maybe in December, who knows?

There is one advantage to buying this for a subset of users- it will most likely be CDMA, and thus cheaper data plans vs. a LTE iPhone. Given that the network is still not fully deployed, it would make sense to get this, wait a year or two until the network is fully deployed before jumping ship to LTE. Maybe the iPhone 5 will be LTE? Then I would be more pissed that I didn't get the CDMA iPhone 4...

I think the phone that will be announced in June will be an iPhone 4 with 64 GB and NFC -- a small incremental upgrade like the 3GS. This will let all the people who bought the Verizon iphone4 still feel good about their purchase and yet still offer something new to the diehards or fanbois.