How does one use old iPhone 2G w/o AT&T

Yankeexpress

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
OK, I already have 3 iPhones on a family plan, but I also have my extra, original 2G in good condition that I want to use on wi-fi only. But I cannot figure out how without activating it on ATT. It currently has the "connect to itunes" screen and only allows an emergency phone call, unless I activate it on ATT.

I tried DFU mode, no go.
I tried restoring it to factory settings, but it reverts to "connect to itunes" screeen.

Thanks in advance for any help with this issue.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Maybe has something to do with the newest version of iTunes... the 2G is starting to become obsolete... they will start phasing it out eventually, as they already have due to iOS 4 being non compatible

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
You need to JB it, the 2G only goes up to 3.1.3 which is good because that firmware is JBable and unlockable. Go here iClarified - Tutorials - iPhone look for the instructions of how to JB on 3.1.3 make sure you choose to hacktivate it since you wont be using it on AT&T. Then you will need to unlock it. Then go into Cydia and get SBSettings this will allow you to turn off Edge so it only uses Wifi for data. You will have to make sure it's turned off anytime you reboot the phone. You swipe across the top bar, where the time is, to access sbsettings. You can PM me if you need any help. I find pwnage tool better to make the ipsw so if your on Windows let me know and I will make one for you.

Reactions: Yankeexpress

Yankeexpress

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the help. I swapped the SIM from my 3GS which used to be in the 2G and that is allowing me to restore and sync the 2G as I write this. I hope that when I re-swap the SIMs, that the 3GS is OK and the 2G still works as a wi-fi only device.

After I get it up and running and swap the SIMs back, I may JB it. I tried limerain previously and that was a bad idea on a 2G.

Last edited:

ceew

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I just did my 2g iphone yesterday

you need Redsn0w v0.9.4 / not the latest

backup phone with itunes

update to 3.1.3 with itunes

download 3.1.2
and redsnow 9.4

boot loaders 3.9 and 4.6

they're are many tutorials with redsnow
use the 3.1.2 firmware then patch it (cydia,unlocked) then enter dfu mode and update with itunes

It took me hours until i realized the latest redsnow doesn't work with the 2g and 3.1.3

easy jailbreak!

good luck

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro