AT&T's 4G layout plan / different than VZW LTE

KStewart

Mar 19, 2006
Visit site
All I have to say is even though at the moment Verizon's network is more vast, whenever there is 3G coverage for AT&T, it's stellar. I smoke all the Droid X boys at work when we run download and upload speed tests on our phones. I hit as high as 4.6 MB/s download and hit 5.1 MB/s every once in a while on my iPhone and average 2-3MB/s. They're Verizon Droid X's hit as high as 1.7MB/s and average 800KB-1.2MB/s. Every once in a while we all our around the same Ball Park, but most the time AT&T and the iPhone smokes em. I can't say this is the same for everyone in this senario all over the country but it is in mine. And to think, the iPhones been crippled...it's capable of download speeds in excess of 7MB/s. We pull up web pages together and my iPhone Loads them faster. I buff YouTube content faster. Beat them almost every time and sometimes with big margin. They're only comeback is how big Verizon's network is and reliability is more important and how I drop calls which is true.

Last edited:

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
And that's a valid point, but everyone drops a call or two, in reality, i wasn't trying to start the whole "att/vzw" thing, it's been beat to death, more than once or twice lol I just thought it was pretty interesting, only time will tell who ends up the front runner here

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
"AT&T has revealed plans to launch new LTE deployment later this year, earlier than expected, with the expectation that the network would be "largely complete" by the end of 2013."

I was hoping AT&T would finally build out its 3G network by 2013. AT&T loves to claim that it is the fastest network in the nation but only provides that speed in a limited number of markets. I spent most of last week on EDGE. They like to brag about their coverage but they do it in terms of population, not geography. LTE by 2013? Promises promises.

Last edited:

KStewart

Mar 19, 2006
Visit site
"AT&T has revealed plans to launch new LTE deployment later this year, earlier than expected, with the expectation that the network would be "largely complete" by the end of 2013."

I was hoping AT&T would finally build our its 3G network by 2013. AT&T loves to claim that it is the fastest network in the nation but only provides that speed in a limited number of markets. I spent most of last week on EDGE. They like to brag about their coverage but they do it in terms of population, not geography. LTE by 2013? Promises promises.

I hear ya. Over the Holiday I was in Ohio at Great Wolf Lodge with the family and I was on Edge almost admediately as I entered Ohio and stayed in Edge at the Lodge. I passed a couple of Verizon towers on the way their for goodness sake. Edge was so horrible, I just used the Lodges WiFi.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I hear ya. Over the Holiday I was in Ohio at Great Wolf Lodge with the family and I was on Edge almost admediately as I entered Ohio and stayed in Edge at the Lodge. I passed a couple of Verizon towers on the way their for goodness sake. Edge was so horrible, I just used the Lodges WiFi.
I too was at a resort, The Balsams, Dixville Notch, NH, admittedly somewhat rural. However, not only was it EDGE for data but voice was marginal. I had my Verizon MiFi card with me. It was fast enough to stream video from my Slingbox and only a little slower than the hotel's newly upgraded WiFi.

I am sympathetic to AT&T's problems. However, their strategies rank with their anti-consumer business practices and minimal customer service. I would much rather have them stress 3G everywhere to HSPDA+ in a few markets and EDGE in many. Data in NYC and SFO still suck. It is crazy that I should have to carry a Verizon MiFi card or use Skype over WiFi just to maintain what should be a nominal service level.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Lowell McAdam, COO, of Verizon, was just interviewed on CNBC. Would not talk about iPhone. Announced Motorola Bionic, LTE handset. Also LTE MiFi card. That is what I want. Do not need a new iPhone, iPad, MacBook or PC. I may keep AT&T 3G for backup, at least until my contract runs out.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I too was at a resort, The Balsams, Dixville Notch, NH, admittedly somewhat rural. However, not only was it EDGE for data but voice was marginal. I had my Verizon MiFi card with me. It was fast enough to stream video from my Slingbox and only a little slower than the hotel's newly upgraded WiFi.

I am sympathetic to AT&T's problems. However, their strategies rank with their anti-consumer business practices and minimal customer service. I would much rather have them stress 3G everywhere to HSPDA+ in a few markets and EDGE in many. Data in NYC and SFO still suck. It is crazy that I should have to carry a Verizon MiFi card or use Skype over WiFi just to maintain what should be a nominal service level.

I've noticed around Ohio the 3G coverage keeps getting bigger, I can remember not 6 mo ago the drive to Pittsburgh dropped to EDGE before and after Youngstown until you got close to PIT airport, it's 3G the whole way now, so they are on a market to market basis, and in retrospect I wish my home town was 3G instead of EDGE but I'm wifi everywhere there anyway unless I'm driving and who cares then lol

And IMO it also keeps the data hogs away, because everyone goes wifi then

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I've noticed around Ohio the 3G coverage keeps getting bigger, I can remember not 6 mo ago the drive to Pittsburgh dropped to EDGE before and after Youngstown until you got close to PIT airport, it's 3G the whole way now, so they are on a market to market basis, and in retrospect I wish my home town was 3G instead of EDGE but I'm wifi everywhere there anyway unless I'm driving and who cares then lol

And IMO it also keeps the data hogs away, because everyone goes wifi then
It is five years since Cingular bought AT&T Wireless, including a dozen or so 3G markets. For almost two years they added no new markets at all. After five years, they have still not built out.

While Verizon is adding capacity, AT&T is rationing it. Where Verizon sees opportunity, AT&T sees "data hogs." Whatever AT&T thinks, I am a customer, not a hog. I expect a little respect in return for my custom. I resent the fact that they use their exclusive iPhone contract to charge us more than they charge their other customers and complain that we are pigs.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
It is five years since Cingular bought AT&T Wireless, including a dozen or so 3G markets. For almost two years they added no new markets at all. After five years, they have still not built out.

While Verizon is adding capacity, AT&T is rationing it. Where Verizon sees opportunity, AT&T sees "data hogs." Whatever AT&T thinks, I am a customer, not a hog. I expect a little respect in return for my custom. I resent the fact that they use their exclusive iPhone contract to charge us more than they charge their other customers and complain that we are pigs.

Neither am I, that's why I can't wait for the big red i4... free up some of this network, I won't EVER go back to big red... they can kiss my a** .... bunch of blood sucking leeches

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2