Jimbos Jumbos

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
Not sure what is wrong.

I have a PC with 2GB RAM
I have never had an issue with syncing
32GB 3GS
latest iTunes

The other day, I updated my OS from 4.0 to 4.1 (I wanted to keep my jailbreak)

Before I did anything, I synced with itunes to create a recent backup

After I updated, but before I jailbroke it, I wanted to restore the backup. The sync was slow and would eventually stop with a windows error. It would cause itunes to shut down. The error message was generic (windows had to stop this program, blah blah blah. No specific info)

Since this started happening, I have tried the following:

Reinstall the update on the phone
remove and reinstall itunes
wipe iphone
Tried to add music without installing the backup iphone file
I finally removed windows from my PC and did a clean install of windows on a different harddrive. then reiintalled all files and itunes. I connected.

still extremly slow syncs. To give you an idea. I connect the phone, it zips through the first few step of backing up, then gets to syncing the phone and it is slow. It is taking about 30-60 seconds to sync each song. It gets through some spots where is syncs 4 or 5 songs in about 10 seconds, then hangs, and goes slow again.

I tried using my daughters iphone, and it syncs fine.

The apps and music seem to sync ok on mine, it is the songs that are taking forever. These same songs sync fine with my daughters iphone.

is it possible that itunes does not work with 4.1 anymore? I know that sounds crazy, but I am running out of reasons why it is so slow.

I even installed a few songs, and all of my apps, just to test the phone. The phone works as it should no issues. It is just with the syncing.

I also deleted all songs from my harddrive on the PC and reinstalled from my backup drive.

I did some searching on here and I can only find issues with slow syncing when itunes 9 came out. I have the latest version.

I also googled and found 3 or 4 other people with similar issues, but none of the results showed a resolution.

I know someone will suggest to try updating to 4.2, but I want to keep the option to jailbreak when this finally gets synced. I would rather have it take 3 days to sync and still have the ability to jailbreak when it is finished.

thanks in advance.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I know you said the error was a generic windows notification...but was there ever an iTunes error? Specifically, an error in the 1600 # range?

Jimbos Jumbos

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
I know you said the error was a generic windows notification...but was there ever an iTunes error? Specifically, an error in the 1600 # range?

no, it was a windows error.

And I only got that message the first few times. Since then, I have reinstalled everything (windows XP, itunes, etc) and it still is slow

It is just the music that is slow, not the apps or backup. So I know it is not the USB connection.

I removed everything from my phone this morning and tried to just sync a small music playlist of 100 songs. It was still syncing one song every 30 seconds to 1 min.

I then hooked up my daughters iphone to the same computer, and synced that same playlist of 100 songs in just a few mins.

It looks like it is not the computer or itunes. It is something with my phone.

I bought it refurbished from BestBuy last Feb, so it is still under the warranty. I have a feeling that they will tell me to upgrade to 4.2 before they do anything

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
did you try going back to 4.0? I know you don't want to go to 4.2 but that is what I would do as I am not a fan of jail-breaking in the first place. Plus...there will eventually be a way to JB a 4.2 phone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods