Garmin Announces App at CES

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Will have to try. Navigon is ok but been waiting for Garmin to do an app from the beginning.

On second glance though, don't like that the maps won't be on device and requires data. Not sure if search includes google.

Last edited:

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I've been debating on whether or not to get the Tom Tom app, I don't have any issues with the free skobbler gps nav app ... Who knows I may try it yet lol

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I'll take NAVIGON any day hands down, maps on board is too sweet! Great NAV app, love it now it's universal, my iPad is a dyn-o-mite GPS unit now!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
My MotionX has been perfect for me when i need it...and you have to assume that given Garmin's huge name in the navi world, they're going to make you pay for that name with an app.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
My MotionX has been perfect for me when i need it...and you have to assume that given Garmin's huge name in the navi world, they're going to make you pay for that name with an app.

I agree! In the end there really isn't too much that separates them is there?

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
just curious, how do these navigation apps behave when not in 3G coverage?

i have always been hesitant to purchase for this reason alone..

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
On a recent trip to Florida, i had a few areas where coverage dropped into Edge, and it simply didn't update as fast...it kept working though, granted, i never had a phone call at the same time (which i think would be the factor there, as Edge allows only one type of data to be sent at a time (if i remember correctly).

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
EDGE can do voice and data at the same time.

In the case of Motion X GPS if you lose coverage while using it you lose the maps as last I saw it was using Google Maps.

With Tomtom, Navigon, several others, and likely Garmin the maps are on board like a standard GPS unit so cell coverage doesn't matter. Hence why they are normally over 1GB in size.

VoltaicShock

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
EDGE can do voice and data at the same time.

In the case of Motion X GPS if you lose coverage while using it you lose the maps as last I saw it was using Google Maps.

With Tomtom, Navigon, several others, and likely Garmin the maps are on board like a standard GPS unit so cell coverage doesn't matter. Hence why they are normally over 1GB in size.

Garmin isn't loading the maps on the device that's why the app is only 7MB in size. They are using the Cloud for maps.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2