iPhone4 going 4G?

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
My daughter lives in Miami and has been having problems with her iPhone4. When she stopped into the local Apple store, they told her that AT&T was upgrading their whole system to 4G, and within a couple of days everything would be fixed. Has anybody heard anything about this, or was the clerk at Apple on drugs. :rolleyes:

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
I highly doubt that any Apple store employee would have said such a thing. For the record ATT not even close to having their LTE 4G up and running. Even if they could get it online tomorrow the iPhone 4 is a 3G phone and will NOT work on any 4G network. If someone at an Apple store did tell her that she should get their name and report them as they are just telling stories to make themselves look smart.

Reactions: anon(631531)

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah. To get 4G you need a 4G modem in the phone on top of 4G supported in your area. iPhone doesn't have a 4G modem, and i have a felling it won't till 2012 or 2013. (by then "5G" will be talked about and starting to develop)

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys. I told her that they were just blowing smoke up her butt, but she wanted me to check anyway. Spoke to her just now and she said that her phone was working much better, so my guess is that they just reset something, and gave her that story to make themselves look good. Thanks again for the prompt replies.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
It's quite possible that ATT was doin upgrades in the area and it was causing temporary degraded performance. It happens out here usually once or twice a year.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, alot of AT&T employees tend to go on the name of the phone relating some how with a 4G network, which obviously isnt correct and only has to do with the iPhone generation number.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
My daughter lives in Miami and has been having problems with her iPhone4. When she stopped into the local Apple store, they told her that AT&T was upgrading their whole system to 4G, and within a couple of days everything would be fixed. Has anybody heard anything about this, or was the clerk at Apple on drugs. :rolleyes:

it's not entirely false as ATT's 4G will use HSPA as part of their network which is why they installed the HSPA upgrades to begin with way back when, so with that being said maybe they were upgrading the network towers to get ready for 4G in that area but just not for the iPhone... it was essentially screwing with 3G data as well..

just my .02 on it